PDA

View Full Version : Question about Colt Newfrontier

CRShooter32
April 06, 2013, 15:23
I have a Colt New Frontier .22lr/.22mag that my grandfather gave to me before he passed, and with the shortage of .22lr, I have been able to get .22 long for my rifle. Is it okay to shoot .22 long, and .22 short through the Colt revolver? The only thing I have been able to find about these revolvers are auction and sale prices.

NEWFNL1A1
April 06, 2013, 15:43
Yes...any 22 will work in the std 22lr cylinder...clean the cylinder chambers w/ a wire brush occasionally to remove any lead build up from the shorter rounds or it will eventually (years) cause the 22LRs to load harder as the lead builds up in the front of the cylinder chambers but usually it's a non issue...

BigBoy1
April 07, 2013, 04:28
When the length of the case is a problem is when one tries to shot the shorter cased .22s (.22L and .22 Short) in a semi-auto rifle or pistol. Since the mechanism is designed with movements based upon the length of the .22LR cartridge, the shorter cased cartridges tend to move in unintended directions when be fed, resulting in jams. Shorter cased .22s OK in revolver and major problems if used in an auto-loader.

CRShooter32
April 07, 2013, 06:10
Thanks for the information, wanted to be sure before doing anything that might cause any potential damage to the revolver, or myself.

denny
April 09, 2013, 22:26
The bores on those and all Colt revolvers have a 224 bore. If your 22 shoots a little bigger groups thats why.
the bores were cut for the 22 mag. diameter slugs.
Denny

Hot-fal
April 30, 2013, 13:54
Thanks for the information, wanted to be sure before doing anything that might cause any potential damage to the revolver, or myself.

Nice gun,l i bought mine used in the 60's..Lots of pop on .22 Mag..shoot a paint can or milk container full of water and watch the spray..

yovinny
May 01, 2013, 16:26
forget what their called, but I have one of those with the light weight alum frame. It was built and sold strictly as a 22lr, no extra mag cylinder.
The boy uses it for snake medicine when he's out messing in the woods.
I prefer a .410 pump myself, 22lr dosent really give me a warm fuzzy feeling when it comes to snakes.
Cheers, YV