PDA

View Full Version : What parts have you broken?

lawdog
March 20, 2013, 12:36
From time to time, my logistical side tries to convince me to only deal in things that will have a lasting supply of parts. For instance, I believe that there will generally be one form or another of AR parts availability.

Even though I admit to kicking it around over the years, I have not been able to part with my two Daewoo rifles (DR200 and a K100). The only thing that tempts me to part with them is the worry over spare parts should I break anything. Years ago, I bought a couple of bolt repair kits from Derek to cover such worries.

Over the years, my Daewoo K100 has been one of two 5.56 rifles that I consistently grab whenever I am heading to a range. The ARs get very neglected. I have never had the Daewoo fail me. Ever.

But still I am concerned. Perhaps for no good reason. To that end, I wanted to know what, if anything, has anyone ever broken on their Daewoo rifle? I'm only wondering about the 5.56 versions, not the 7.62x39 versions.

So, let's hear it: what did you break, how did you do it, and how did you fix it?

KaBoom
March 20, 2013, 12:56
I got a set of new firing pins because of the rumors, traded the new for the old and never noticed any difference.
The mag that came with my DR-200 was pretty used up, second or third time out it spit out a rainbow of brass when I pulled back the charge handle, threw it away, no problems since.
My singular ACTUAL problem has been that mine was a gun store rental frequented by cops who love to shoot it but never cleaned it. There is some BAD carbon build up in the muzzle that no cleaner has been able to remove ( under magnification you can see little chipped layers the the very end ) I think it is hurting accuracy and I'm wanting a new 18" AR barrel for future ammo compatibility ( if there ever IS any ammo in the future! ).

DYNOMIKE
March 20, 2013, 13:54
I shied away from the WOO for years because of the "alleged" difficulty in finding parts..

Finally did pick one up and now regret waiting as long as I did, they are great rifles. Now that Moses di my barrel cut and thread I like it even better..

Far as I'm concerned parts breakage and replacement is a non-issue and I will not trouble myself in the slightest over it..

These guns are no more or less prone to breakage then any other quality gun and are surely as reliable as the three types it uses designs from...

"IF" I was to gather any spares it would be nothing but a F/pin, maybe a FCG (AR works) and maybe a couple springs. Anything else wouldn't be field repairable anyway...

kev
March 20, 2013, 16:19
I haven't broken anything, but when I bought my K2 it came with some broken parts already replaced. It had been abused to the point that the previous owner couldn't get it apart when it came to him and he chewed up the gas plug pretty good trying to remove it(it still functions,.....just chewed up). He also replaced a broken charging handle(don't know how that was broken).

One of the best buys I've ever gotten from the markeplace here, and there have been some good ones. Somewhat dirty pre-ban K2 with old and new gas plug, Stormwerks scope base and two spare firing pins for $725 shipped.

s0b3
March 20, 2013, 21:38
haven't broken anything but from just reading around the dr-300s bolts are prone to breakage. oz-in-sc bought a daewoo with a missing ejector.

there was a woo on gb with a bubba'ed charging handle since they misplaced the original.

i've heard of people losing their gas plugs too.

fortunately most of the commonly broken parts have aftermarket support now. a few places sell replacement firing pins, gas plugs, charging handles, etc...

fastprofessor
March 20, 2013, 22:58
Nothing broken yet. But honestly I haven't had any firearm break. Maybe I'm just lucky. ;)

KaBoom
March 22, 2013, 00:52
Nothing broken yet. But honestly I haven't had any firearm break. Maybe I'm just lucky. ;)

No it's you, I see people with the exact same guns as me have all sorts of problems that I never experience, some people know how to treat machinery and some clearly do not. And no, I'm not a cleaning, stripping fanatic, quite the opposite. If something is working I mostly leave it alone, most of the problems I have seen seem to come immediately after someone has had it apart, but of course they never did anything wrong.

CAR
April 06, 2013, 14:26
If something is working I mostly leave it alone, most of the problems I have seen seem to come immediately after someone has had it apart, but of course they never did anything wrong.

Exactly. I have seen more guns ruined by owners working on them or worse yet, trying to "improve" them.

crawlinjeep
April 06, 2013, 19:49
I would not be concerned about parts. At worst you could buy a mill and make it yourself. But you could get a gunsmith to make any part that breaks.

KaBoom
April 07, 2013, 11:15
I would not be concerned about parts. At worst you could buy a mill and make it yourself. But you could get a gunsmith to make any part that breaks.

Waaaay cheaper to just buy a "partser" like I did.

StormWerkz
May 27, 2013, 09:27
I haven't broken anything yet and have been shooting the hell out of them for years, none of my friends have broken anything on theirs either.
Tough son-of-a-guns !