PDA

View Full Version : Best QD flash hider and Can Combo for FAL????

Thorack
March 18, 2013, 10:50
Ok,

I'm looking for a can and QD combo for my new Para build. Looks like Gemtech and SEI have good setups and the cost will be about $1k for can and QD flash hider.

does anyone have any recommendations on a good setup or which of the above is better. I'll be running a 17 3/8 inch barrel.

Thanks
Thorack

Bull915
March 18, 2013, 14:46
My set up uses a Yankee Hill Phantom with QD FH. I have nothing bad to say about it. I found that it was a bit cheaper, and my class III guy was pretty impressed with it when he compared it to the "big boys".

ETA: I'm currently using it on a 11 inch SA-58 and 16 inch 300 Blackout.

Thorack
March 18, 2013, 21:31
Bull915,

Thanks for the input, I really like the looks of the QD flash hider, and CQB can.

Anyone else got any recs?

Thorack

Stranger
March 19, 2013, 21:37
ETA: I'm currently using it on a 11 inch SA-58 and 16 inch 300 Blackout.

Does YHM warranty that suppressor on an 11" 7.62x51?

Bull915
March 19, 2013, 22:22
I never considered that as an issue to even ask about. What would concern you about that combination?

Stranger
March 19, 2013, 22:22
Bull915,

Thanks for the input, I really like the looks of the QD flash hider, and CQB can.

Anyone else got any recs?

Thorack

I would highly recommend an Advanced Armament 762-SDN-6. My AAC 762-SD (precursor to the N-6) jumps between FALs, a Savage bolt gun, and a Yugo SKS. Loads of fun.

Let me tell you about Gemtech. Three words should make you run from Gemtech: titanium blast baffle. The Ti blast baffles on my G5 and HVT show excessive erosion. Seriously, after 2K rounds they looked like the surface of the moon. The Iconel BB on the AAC has taken twice the abuse and doesn't show a thing.

Gemtech's two-lug "Bi-lock/Quickmount" sucks donkey balls. It lets gas spray everywhere (clean the objective lens on your scope after 10 rounds). It isn't stable (the suppressor wobbles from side to side). It becomes fouled to the point you can't remove the can by hand (after 50 rounds you have to use a strap wrench). Everything else on the market is better. Stay away from it like the plague.

Stranger
March 19, 2013, 22:40
I never considered that as an issue to even ask about. What would concern you about that combination?

The warranty on my AAC can specifies a min. barrel length of 12.5" for .308. When I talked to them they claimed excessive wear on the blast baffle (plasma cutting) and potential baffle strikes (.308 wobbles a little more out short barrels). I re-barreled my OSW to get 13" because of AAC's warranty.

I took a look and YHM warranties the Phantom 7.62 for 10.5" barrels. :smile:

Thorack
March 20, 2013, 10:46
Guys,

Thanks for the help. It looks like YHM is the best choice so far. Stranger Im moving to the Lawton area who is your silencer dealer?

Thorack

Bull915
March 20, 2013, 16:10
What a great happenstance. LOL

Stranger
March 21, 2013, 10:15
Guys,

Thanks for the help. It looks like YHM is the best choice so far. Stranger Im moving to the Lawton area who is your silencer dealer?

Thorack

Matt Wilson at Tin Star Shooting Range in Weatherford, OK is who I currently use. He is a former KHP officer and a really good guy. He is a stocking YHM dealer.

I like buying from Matt because 1) he has prices you can't beat anywhere and 2) I can step outside to the range and use my new gear before it gets officially transferred to me.

There should be a CIII dealer or two in Lawton who would be closer.