PDA

View Full Version : Extended charging handles for Woos.

dsertdog56
March 04, 2013, 20:47
Has anyone ever purchased one, or have one too many? I'd like to find one.

Stranger
March 04, 2013, 22:11
Have you visited daewoorifleparts.com?

Here is the URL for their parts page.

Daewoo Upgrade Parts (http://daewoorifleparts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6)

dsertdog56
March 05, 2013, 08:33
Have you visited daewoorifleparts.com?

Here is the URL for their parts page.

Daewoo Upgrade Parts (http://daewoorifleparts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6)

Yeah I've about got an intenet foxhole dug in there :). He hasn't any in stock for a long time and would need a good reason (like a lot of interest) to have some more made.
The cool thing is, an oversize handle is a 922r compliant part and requires no tools, torches or fasteners to install. Plus there's no plastic knob to break! Pretty much a no brainer if you ask me.

EDIT: An order of 2 dozen at 65 bucks each will get it done. I'm in for 2. Let me or DRP know.

EVC-3
March 05, 2013, 12:39
It is a plastic knob. But it's Delrin, not that brittle korean molded plastic. Delrin is machineable and those ones are done on a lathe and then pressed onto a stainless steel core.

dsertdog56
March 05, 2013, 13:32
My slightly ruined right hand would appreciate the larger handle for sure. Like I said it's a no brainer for compliance.

Door Kicker
March 05, 2013, 17:03
I would take one for $40

dsertdog56
March 05, 2013, 17:43
dsertdog-2
Door Kicker-1
Edit: This is on hold until I can determine the actual price. Seems I missread the price on them. My apologies!

Door Kicker
March 06, 2013, 09:39
just let us know

mouthpiece
March 06, 2013, 10:20
Hey desert dog. I'm in Tulsa. Where do you shoot at?
I'd be interested in 1 charging handle for the Woo.

dsertdog56
March 06, 2013, 13:50
Hey desert dog. I'm in Tulsa. Where do you shoot at?
I'd be interested in 1 charging handle for the Woo.

Alright guys and gals...First I read the notes wrong, so here's the straight shot. Handles are 65 bucks each which includes a blasting and paint.
That's 10 bucks off the site price if we can get at least 2 dozen in a gb.

I have 6 spoken for on DOR at the correct price...so we're a quarter way there. BTW these will need to be paid for once we have enough. I'll let you guys deal with DOR on that.

My apologies again for the price mixup.

Mouthpiece, I have yet to fire a round in OK...because I'm not sure where to go or can't find the time. I was thinking about going out to the Range at Ft Gibson until that guy got shot there. Now there's an ammo shortage....:redface:

Anyway, if anyone wants handle(s) lets get 'em!

dsertdog56
March 07, 2013, 13:51
Looks like we have about 7 orders...Derek posted today if we can make it to 20 confirmed oes he'll will go ahead and have them made.

It's nice to see some new interest in the "woo". I believe it's a great rifle.

Blain
March 07, 2013, 22:08
Do you have any pictures of what these handles would look like and what material they would be made out of?

dsertdog56
March 07, 2013, 22:42
It is a plastic knob. But it's Delrin, not that brittle korean molded plastic. Delrin is machineable and those ones are done on a lathe and then pressed onto a stainless steel core.

Right here....:)

dsertdog56
March 07, 2013, 22:46

Right here....:)

Then go here... http://daewoorifleparts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6 There are 2 designs listed and you can email or contact the owner and ask him for more details.

Either part will be an improvement. The oe plastic one is not all that strong.

EVC-3
March 08, 2013, 11:46
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5bgYZQPrTQU

It's these ones.

dsertdog56
March 08, 2013, 13:46
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5bgYZQPrTQU

It's these ones.

Awesome video...those handles are nice. Hopefully we'll get some more interest. Thanks for posting that!

Sure miss being able to go out to the desert and shoot or drive about in the truck.

Blain
March 08, 2013, 21:57
It says the handles are comprised of stainless steel and derlin. Aren't those the same material the factory ones are made of? So how are they stronger?

dsertdog56
March 09, 2013, 10:05
It says the handles are comprised of stainless steel and derlin. Aren't those the same material the factory ones are made of? So how are they stronger?

According to the 4th post, yes, the aftermarkets are. I'll take the gentlemans word for it. I'll hazard a guess he uses them.

The other point which I'll repeat is this is a 992r compliant part that requires no tools, no torches and no time. Break open the rifle, slide the bolt back, pull out the oe handle and replace it. How easy could it be?

EDIT: I admit this. I'm late to the game. The rest of you probably got in early when parts were plentiful and the economy was good. When I decided to get serious about my 'woo, everything was pretty much used up and not likely to return. Simple supply and demand. My budget doesn't allow for expensive foregrips (when they become avalible). If you're a fellow "latecomer" like me... read on.

I read the rules and tried to figure out what can get the job done (compliancy) with the least amount of work. After a stainless gas piston and magazines, what is simplest mod to do? Again, charging handle. So lets not make this complex. It's an American made part that counts toward compliancy. Need I say more?

s0b3
March 09, 2013, 12:38
According to the 4th post, yes, the aftermarkets are. I'll take the gentlemans word for it. I'll hazard a guess he uses them.

The other point which I'll repeat is this is a 992r compliant part that requires no tools, no torches and no time. Break open the rifle, slide the bolt back, pull out the oe handle and replace it. How easy could it be?

EDIT: I admit this. I'm late to the game. The rest of you probably got in early when parts were plentiful and the economy was good. When I decided to get serious about my 'woo, everything was pretty much used up and not likely to return. Simple supply and demand. My budget doesn't allow for expensive foregrips (when they become avalible). If you're a fellow "latecomer" like me... read on.

I read the rules and tried to figure out what can get the job done (compliancy) with the least amount of work. After a stainless gas piston and magazines, what is simplest mod to do? Again, charging handle. So lets not make this complex. It's an American made part that counts toward compliancy. Need I say more?

AR15 FCG is an easy mod and a good chance to upgrade too. just reuse the daewoo trigger/hammer pins as they are longer.

dsertdog56
March 09, 2013, 13:56
[QUOTE=s0b3;3564481]AR15 FCG is an easy mod and a good chance to upgrade too. just reuse the daewoo trigger/hammer pins as they are longer.[/QUOTE

True... but if you fudge a pin or axle you could be screwed...I guess I wouldn't replace good parts unless I have to. Or pay a gunsmith over what one part can do.
Again, I can sorta see that same logic applied to a simple charging handle...if it weren't so darned easy to do! When I've met compliance, I can work on building a match quality FCG.

USNJetJockey
March 10, 2013, 23:41
How did a charging handle suddenly become a 922r compliance part? The 922r parts are:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings *
(2) Barrels *
(3) Barrel extensions*
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments *
(6) Bolts *
(7) Bolt carriers *
(8) Operating rods*
(9) Gas pistons *
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers *
(12) Hammers *
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors *
(15) Buttstocks *
(16) Pistol grips *
(17) Forearms, handguards *
(18) Magazine bodies *
(19) Followers *
(20) Floorplates *

Which one of these parts are you asserting is a charging handle? If it is the bolt carrier, adding a single U.S. made part to a foreign made bolt carrier will not make it a compliant part unless the entire bolt carrier is U.S. made.

Stranger
March 11, 2013, 11:26
The charging handle is considered to be an operating rod.

It isn't new information. It has always been that way.

dsertdog56
March 11, 2013, 12:34
The charging handle is considered to be an operating rod.

It isn't new information. It has always been that way.

Thanks I wasn't sure how to explain except to say the charging handle is listed as such on DRP.

So is the gas piston. Replacing it with a US made stainless part counts towards compliance. Crazy!

USNJetJockey
March 11, 2013, 19:33
I would love to see the letter from the ATF stating that they consider the charging handle an operating rod. That's like saying a bayonet is part of a trigger group just because it is part of the same firearm. Please produce something to back up this claim rather than just stating that this has always been this way.

s0b3
March 11, 2013, 20:10
I would love to see the letter from the ATF stating that they consider the charging handle an operating rod. That's like saying a bayonet is part of a trigger group just because it is part of the same firearm. Please produce something to back up this claim rather than just stating that this has always been this way.

i thought that was strange and had to look it up but here's a few discussions on it:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/printthread.php?threadid=313881

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=209748

http://daewoorifleparts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=160

http://www.m1-garand-rifle.com/922r/

USNJetJockey
March 11, 2013, 21:53
Thank you very much for the links. I'm still skeptical, however. I would need to see (and have a certified copy) of the actual letter before I would even think about counting the handle as the operating rod unless I had plenty of other compliance parts where the handle would not matter if it were to be questioned.

dsertdog56
March 12, 2013, 12:33
I'll ask Derek about it...but it seems he wouldn't list them as such if the information was not correct. I remember this discussion on the old yahoo Daewoo group.
I'm not gonna kick the hornets nest at this moment and get a completely different interperetation from someone in the BTAFE. If someone else wants to be the one, go for it.

black sheep
March 12, 2013, 17:16
The charging handles have always been included in FALs and HK type weapons from the various manufacturers for compliance....while that may not be good enough for ole jet jockey, it is certainly good enough for me.....Tapco made clearly marked charging handles for FALs for years, probably still do.....

victor71
March 24, 2013, 11:57
I am in for one.

dsertdog56
March 24, 2013, 12:24
I would say between here and my thread on DRP there are about 11-12 interested buyers at this point. Anyone who has posted here should contact Derek and let him know if they aren't on DRP.
I thank you for your interest, btw I have no financial gain in getting this purchase done. Just looking for an upgrade and easy ways to comply with 922R

black sheep
March 26, 2013, 17:57
Id be in for 1....

dsertdog56
March 27, 2013, 19:28
SO far I have...

black sheep...1
victor71...1
mounthpiece...1
doorkickker...1?
So thats 3 with a maybe. I'm on DRP and have 9 people there + myself so that's a total of 12.

Big Rick
April 13, 2013, 19:06
I would be in for one.

dsertdog56
April 13, 2013, 20:01
Update: We have about 16 interested buyers between here and DRP.

dsertdog56
April 19, 2013, 21:20
Update: We have 19 buyers. Just need a couple more.

April 20, 2013, 01:16
Ok just to clarify, will this GB be for the •Model: DRK2 CHARGING HANDLE, OVERSIZE-Piston Rifle? or the •Model: K1 CHARGING HANDLE, OVERSIZE-Gas Rifle?

I will need the Model DRK2 so if this is the one we're talking about I'll complete the preorder requirement with a order for 2.

If i'm on the same sheet of music here for the GB then please PM with all appropreiate details and payment info for Chase Quick Pay.

Thanks

dsertdog56
April 20, 2013, 07:57
Ok just to clarify, will this GB be for the •Model: DRK2 CHARGING HANDLE, OVERSIZE-Piston Rifle? or the •Model: K1 CHARGING HANDLE, OVERSIZE-Gas Rifle?

I will need the Model DRK2 so if this is the one we're talking about I'll complete the preorder requirement with a order for 2.

If i'm on the same sheet of music here for the GB then please PM with all appropreiate details and payment info for Chase Quick Pay.

Thanks

This part will be for the DR200, K2 and AR100 Maxll. It is NOT for the K1.
Gents, so far I believe we have enough confirmed buyers. I'll have to do a recount on both sites.
Edit: Looks like 22 confirmed. There's plenty of room for more :)

Payment: That will be done through the DRP website. Remember this is a prepayment deal... http://daewoorifleparts.com
I will let you all know by pm when to send payment.

black sheep...1
victor71...1
mounthpiece...1
doorkickker...1?

mouthpiece
April 21, 2013, 15:27
Who are we going to be sending payment to?
What is the exact final cost?

dsertdog56
April 21, 2013, 17:19
Who are we going to be sending payment to?
What is the exact final cost?

I am waiting for Derek to post it on the site.

I know some of you have dealt with with DRP before but for those that haven't I have no complaints. He's a stand up guy.

Edit: Here's the scoop from D.

Postal MOs with names nice and clear to AZEX, 17426 E. Hunt Hwy. Queen Creek, AZ 85142. Make sure you note group buy and the amount of handles you want.

It will be a few weeks until the machinist makes them and the parts won't be built untill payment is recieved. From here on out it is DRP's deal. ANY FURTHER QUESTIONS SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO DRP OR AZEX. If you need contact info it is on both websites.

Thanks!

mouthpiece
April 22, 2013, 21:14
What was ever decided about the type of handle material?

James
April 22, 2013, 23:24
I'll throw my 2 cent in on this. I bought both the oversize handle and the semi slector. The selector dropped right in and worked like it should. The oversize cocking handle sucked. First off it would not fit in the slot on my carrier. I had to file both sides before it would slide in. OK so now it fits in the slot. I assembe everything and line up the slot to install the handle. I slide it in the slot but now nothing will move because the part of the handle that comes out of the receiver is too thick and will not slide down the slot in the receiver. I had to thin that part down enough so it would move freely back and forth with the bolt.

It wasn't that much work and time wise it didn't take that long but I should not have had to do anything to it to get it to work. I am concerned about the reliability of the cocking handle as it is thinner now and may not be as strong.

James

dsertdog56
April 23, 2013, 07:58
What was ever decided about the type of handle material?

I'll throw my 2 cent in on this. I bought both the oversize handle and the semi slector. The selector dropped right in and worked like it should. The oversize cocking handle sucked. First off it would not fit in the slot on my carrier. I had to file both sides before it would slide in. OK so now it fits in the slot. I assembe everything and line up the slot to install the handle. I slide it in the slot but now nothing will move because the part of the handle that comes out of the receiver is too thick and will not slide down the slot in the receiver. I had to thin that part down enough so it would move freely back and forth with the bolt.

It wasn't that much work and time wise it didn't take that long but I should not have had to do anything to it to get it to work. I am concerned about the reliability of the cocking handle as it is thinner now and may not be as strong.

James

Hey Mouthpiece...the handle material will be Delrin. It's the same material Ace makes the tube parts of its stocks out of.

Janes, I can't comment on that. I think I heard somewhere that the first batch of handles had some fitting issues. But I haven't heard of any failure. How many rounds have you run through your rifle with the handle in place? I'm viewing the video in a previous post where 'woo's are being fired full auto with these handles without failures.

BTW, having to "file fit" a custom part built off tolerances of an OE piece doesn't seem unusual to me. I once owned an M-1 carbine that every clip I purchsed had to have the locking tits "modded" to fit. The brand of vehicle I drive requires every custom part to be fitted.

Again, I don't work for DRP or AZEX. If you have any comments, questions, or critique, you should direct them to Derek.

LaConservationist
April 27, 2013, 10:55
Hey if I am NOT a day late and dollar short, What the HAY......I will jump in for one.....
Let me know who when and where to send funds......

THANKS!

LaC

dsertdog56
April 27, 2013, 11:09
Hey if I am NOT a day late and dollar short, What the HAY......I will jump in for one.....
Let me know who when and where to send funds......

THANKS!

LaC

Post #39 gives you the info :)

mouthpiece
April 27, 2013, 11:28
So, according to post #10, we are suppose to send $65.
Do we need to send now or wait for the machinest to get ready?

dsertdog56
April 27, 2013, 12:00
So, according to post #10, we are suppose to send $65.
Do we need to send now or wait for the machinest to get ready?

Yes, this a prepay deal. Derek doesn't want to put out any cash for it.

I've already sent my payment. We've got about 20 pieces alone on the Woo forum so once payment is recieved D will have the machinist build them. I know several folks there have already mailed thier payments in. After that, its gonna be a few weeks but I'm willing to to wait.
Getting custom firearm work done is much like any speciallty part I have built for my old Dodge. :)

wayne in boca
May 04, 2013, 05:55
I mailed my payment yesterday.

dsertdog56
May 05, 2013, 16:53
Thanks, looks like about half the number spoken for have been paid for.

I forgot to mention freight. It's 6 bucks for two. So if you sent a couple extra bucks for freight its all good. If you didn't, Derek will let ya know if he needs more.

mouthpiece
May 06, 2013, 21:41
I sent my money on about Thursday of last week.
I didn't send an extra $6 but that is why I asked what is the exact money we are suppose to send.
I didn't agree to $71

dsertdog56
May 07, 2013, 07:56
I sent my money on about Thursday of last week.
I didn't send an extra $6 but that is why I asked what is the exact money we are suppose to send.
I didn't agree to $71

I wouldn't worry about it...last time I checked we had plenty of buyers. Freight on one wipuld be like 3 bucks so if you didn't get any notice from Derek on the freight I wouldn't sweat it. 6 bucks is to mail 2. Some of us sent in extra anyway because we knew it would cost something to ship.

victor71
May 07, 2013, 10:58
Sorry,I have been out of circulation,I will have payment sent by Friday.

StormWerkz
May 28, 2013, 09:43
Any update ?

dsertdog56
May 30, 2013, 19:33
No..I could ask Derek but I'd probably get a "when they get here, I don't know" or something similar. From reading the DRP forum I'd guess the order went to the machinist.

You've known him a bit longer, perhaps you'd have better luck.

struckeagle
August 07, 2013, 09:35
What is the latest on the oversized charging handle group buy? I would like to add this part to my DR-200. Derek, are there any unclaimed ones available from the group buy? If not, is there a list to get on for the next round of group buy? Thanks for any info.

mouthpiece
October 08, 2013, 10:55
I'm guessing we got fucked on this deal.

StormWerkz
October 08, 2013, 11:05
I'm guessing we got fucked on this deal.

I think it is still on, I believe Derek had to find a different machine shop

s0b3
October 08, 2013, 19:30
I think it is still on, I believe Derek had to find a different machine shop

yeah. getting small production runs is really difficult. most people that do it on the side do it out of love and finding a shop to do it for a reasonable price is difficult.

derek will come through, it may take longer than initially estimated but it'll happen.

dsertdog56
October 17, 2013, 09:26
I don't know what to say...but I know that Derek is as unhappy about this as some of you are. My thought is to keep in contact with him through DRP or AZEX.

It sullies his rep because he can't deliver a product in a reasonalble time, and it sullies mine because I instigated the whole idea. For my part, I am sorry.

I'm buoyed by the belief that the finished product will be worth the wait. Others who produce parts for Daewoos talk of the same issues. I worked for a custom machine shop when I was younger. So I understand.

With the possibility of more importation laws, may mean that parts will have to built here to maintain these weapons. This situation may turn people off from getting other parts built...which will probably have as much if not more lead time and require a certain amount of interest. I hate to think of the perfectly good rifles that will be turned into "parts guns" because of one or two pieces.

s0b3
October 17, 2013, 21:15
if anyone doesn't want to wait, Derek/DRP will offer a refund.

dsertdog56
October 17, 2013, 21:27
^^^^^ More pieces for the rest of us who want 'em then! Yay!

dawg180
October 18, 2013, 11:27
I don't want to step on Derek's toes, but i could probably get a small batch made up in about 90 days if there is really interest. I can look into it if you guys want.

Sven
Manticore Arms

dsertdog56
October 18, 2013, 13:58
If I had my choice, some gas plugs or extended gas plugs would be next. CNC warrior has been out for a while.

mouthpiece
November 05, 2013, 09:45
I received a NICE LOOKING prototype of the Extended charging handle.
It's a beaut! Fit perfect and looks Great!
A bit more CH to get a hold of, especially if an optic is installed.

I had a nice little convo with Derek last week and from what I understand, he had a couple machinest dissapear(1 died) on him taking the parts with them.

He's working on it guys.

dwkfym
November 05, 2013, 13:44
The extended charging handles from DRP are pretty awesome.

Desert dog, theres been a new influx of available parts for the Woo: recent Korean production parts imports are available through DRP.

dsertdog56
November 05, 2013, 19:49
I received a NICE LOOKING prototype of the Extended charging handle.
It's a beaut! Fit perfect and looks Great!
A bit more CH to get a hold of, especially if an optic is installed.

I had a nice little convo with Derek last week and from what I understand, he had a couple machinest dissapear(1 died) on him taking the parts with them.

He's working on it guys.

WOW...the squeaky wheel got the grease eh? :angel: Glad you're happy with the product. Guess I'll keep waiting.:)

The extended charging handles from DRP are pretty awesome.

Desert dog, theres been a new influx of available parts for the Woo: recent Korean production parts imports are available through DRP.

I'm one of the orginal people to get into those spare parts and just got another order with a LAGE Hd stock.

wayne in boca
November 10, 2013, 06:02
Have faith.Derek will eventually find a live machinist and we will get our charging handles.I bought two of the original steel selectors from him a few years back and they are terrific.At that time,he also had the oversize charging handles.I didn't get any because I didn't see the need for one.Figured I could get one any time.Ha.

dsertdog56
December 29, 2013, 22:55
Queried Derek on his board last week and received this reply on the 29th.

the cores are coming off the machine this week.

knobs are coming next.

D.

Thanks for your patience everyone!

s0b3
January 10, 2014, 16:07
from DRP on another forum

"I'm going to SHOT, will be back in a week or so.

Then they'll just need blasted and painted...then into the mail."

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/deawoorifleparts/cid_PART_1389371343326_zpsf6dc89ee.jpg

s0b3
January 27, 2014, 01:18
last post i saw from DRP

"blasting and coating them this week...mailing them out next week. "

s0b3
January 30, 2014, 22:42
anyone who ordered, please contact DRP to ensure they have your order.

daewoorifleparts@live.com or azex@live.com