PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 1897 - to cut or not?

Bug Tussell
March 02, 2013, 23:17
I'm coming into a model 97 with a mfr date of 1900. Cut the barrel to riot configuration or no?

shlomo
March 02, 2013, 23:18
I'm coming into a model 97 with a mfr date of 1900. Cut the barrel to riot configuration or no?

Don't make me come over there.

That's what Norinco copies are for.

tdb59
March 02, 2013, 23:21

There are 40eleven thoullion that have been chopped.

Uncut 97s are becoming more rare by the day.

Bug Tussell
March 03, 2013, 08:24
Somehow I'm getting the impression that you guys are against cutting the barrel?

Cutting a 113 year old barrel in good shape kinda rubs me wrong too. I haven't gotten the shotgun yet but my cuz says the wood is beautiful and the mechanicals are in very good shape.

But then again my cuz has been known to tape some of his builds together... :eek:

Snakeshot
March 03, 2013, 10:20
If you want one that's cut, find one that's cut.
Original length barrel is far more cool than an amputated 97.

AliYahu
March 03, 2013, 10:37
I'd cut it unless the gun is really nice. But I figure since you're considerng cutting it that it's not the prettiest thing.

Eli

Mebsuta
March 03, 2013, 18:32
Don't cut that old gun.

Factories world-wide are churning out new shorty shotguns as we speak, or you can get any 870 and put a shorty barrel on it in about 1 minute.

pjpjr
March 03, 2013, 21:26
There are 40eleven thoullion that have been chopped.

Uncut 97s are becoming more rare by the day.

Uncut 97s in my neck of the woods are plentiful.........and pretty cheap to. Four original 97s in store right now that are good condition guns with honest wear and tear. Nothing special.......if you want to cut it do so unless it is pristine!:smile:

D P Six
March 03, 2013, 23:47
The 97 is the coolest of all pump shotguns. It's your gun to do as you wish...but I couldn't bear to be present when the cutting was done.

SWOHFAL
March 04, 2013, 04:27
It would depend on the length of the barrel and the skill with which it was done. If it was a 28" barrel or something, then it would be useless to me in any manner. However, unless I could make it look like it came from the factory that way when I was done with it, then I wouldn't do it.

thunderchicken
March 04, 2013, 12:56

Why? are you anticipating a riot? If you are there are much better choices than the 97. Seems to me that 97 has been doing what it was designed to do for over 100 years.

J. Armstrong
March 04, 2013, 17:29
If you cut the barrel you will disrupt the karmic forces within the gun and it wil then bite your thumb and bloody the firing range.

Oh, wait, it will probably do that anyway :biggrin:

Neat old gun. I'm thinking if it is really ratty, cutting wouldn't be too awful, but if it is in reasonable shape, I'd be reluctant to chop it just on principle. JMHO, but as shlomo pointed out, that's what Norincos are for ;)

Timber Wolf
March 05, 2013, 10:47
I could not bring myself to cut it if it was mine, but I have a lot of short (and long) shottys including a short Norinco 97 clone already. I do have a Remington Model 11 born in 1906 and I plan on someday cutting the original barrel down. But only because some other ass long ago butchered it with a Polychoke and I have another pristine factory barrel to go on the gun. ;)

fire for effect
March 17, 2013, 13:34
Uncut 97s in my neck of the woods are plentiful.........and pretty cheap to. Four original 97s in store right now that are good condition guns with honest wear and tear. Nothing special.......if you want to cut it do so unless it is pristine!:smile:

I agree. Cut it.

Peconga
March 17, 2013, 19:07
Lots of Polychoked Winchester Model 97s and 12s out there just waiting to be cut down to Riot gun length or made into ersatz Trench Guns. Likewise with Ithaca 37s, Remy Model 10s and 11s, even FN Browning A5s. At least they would gain a New Life in that configuration, rather than being condemned to permanent retirement. Mind you, I certainly wouldn't advocate cutting down a nice barrel on a number-matching original, but would have no qualms about one that has already been bespoiled by previous Bubbafication. No Bad Karma points for that, and maybe even some Good ones. :angel:

If the barrel on your 1897 is still full-length and original, you might look around a find a loose barrel that has already been modified and chop to length. Good way to have your cake and eat it too.

bulletslap
March 18, 2013, 22:50
If you want to shoot things flying through the air, Polychokes and Cutts are excellent devices.

I agree will the earlier post that mentioned finding another cut barrel and receiver extension.

Sixtysixdeuce
March 19, 2013, 08:24
It's a personal decision. I've cut two that made some people cringe:

A New Haven (Hunter Arms/LC Smith) 12 ga:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/100_0991.jpg

And a solid rib M11:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/RemingtonM11.jpg

Yeah, I whacked some $$ off. But guess what? They're my guns, and that's how I wanted them.

I also shortened a very nice 1948 Ithaca 37 20 ga, but not so drastically. It was a 28" full choke, I had my smith cut off 4" and thread it for Brownell's chokes so it was actually a useful upland bird gun.

malpaismike
April 12, 2013, 08:17
Hello the camp! It's not the kind of thing you usually look for, so I wouldn't be surprised if you haven't seen additions to GPC's roster of parts. They include shields, mag tubes, barrels. Having had several in long and short flavors, I can tell you the long barrel is where the golddust is, but short is handy. My current sg is a IAC '87, action job and drop-two carrier. My .02 mm

SgtRock2
April 13, 2013, 00:08
It's a personal decision. I've cut two that made some people cringe:

A New Haven (Hunter Arms/LC Smith) 12 ga:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/100_0991.jpg

I also shortened a very nice 1948 Ithaca 37 20 ga, but not so drastically. It was a 28" full choke, I had my smith cut off 4" and thread it for Brownell's chokes so it was actually a useful upland bird gun.

Nice Boom Stick!

Bug Tussell
April 13, 2013, 21:42
Hello the camp! It's not the kind of thing you usually look for, so I wouldn't be surprised if you haven't seen additions to GPC's roster of parts. They include shields, mag tubes, barrels. Having had several in long and short flavors, I can tell you the long barrel is where the golddust is, but short is handy. My current sg is a IAC '87, action job and drop-two carrier. My .02 mm

What is GPC?

SWOHFAL
April 14, 2013, 06:06
What is GPC?

Numrich: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

Story
April 14, 2013, 15:22
And a solid rib M11:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/RemingtonM11.jpg

Add some more rounds with a Remington magazine tube extension.