PDA

View Full Version : Need help Iding old gun

declaration
February 25, 2013, 19:54
Hi I have a double hammer in terrible shape old shotgun can anyone tell me where to look for ID? Thank you.

E5c03
February 25, 2013, 20:18
Look under front handguard ? [take handguard off]

declaration
February 25, 2013, 21:58
Did that came off like a parker cant see any name.

FUUN063
February 26, 2013, 10:59
A lot of times on old double barrels, there will not be a name. You have to remember that just about everyone, just before the turn of the century to a little afterwards, with a small shop made a double barrel shotgun or at least parts for one. They were a tool that almost everyone needed to survive. When I am trying to identify an old shotgun or other firearm, I usually start with a super good cleaning with the foreare, barrels and buttstock taken off (pics would help immensly here). I then look in the hard to reach areas for such things as small stampings, markings or other such identfying marks that may, at least, give the country of origin. Look around the tang, lock for the barrels, under the rear of the forearm, inside where the buttstock attaches and immediately under the breech area, especially for proofing marks. Then, I can go from there. A very small seemingly insignificant marking may reveal what country by having a small crown, "BP" or "NP" or other mark, so look very closely. They will be very small, but they should be there. Also, the way that the barrels were assembled may offer a clue to the era and the lock style. I cannot remember off the top of my head, but there were probablly at least 20 or more brands manufactured by the Crescent Arms manufacturer, some with no name. Good luck.

Leland
:fal:

declaration
February 26, 2013, 22:16
Thank you sir will do!