PDA

View Full Version : Apache Nylon 22

meltblown
February 22, 2013, 14:59
I have a nylon 22 that my ole man used to keep in the car if he had to travel to the northeast where handguns restrictions were. I had to do some work on it to get the mag to lock in and actually had to rework the mag as it would puke all of the rounds out. I used to not think twice about the little rifle but think they have gone up in value. The original box it's in shows a price of $89 from Kmart back in the early 80's.

Anyway was playing with it at the range (actually did not think it was firing cause had my ear muffs on) and it shoots about 10-inches low at 100 yards with the rear sight screw at full elevation. Anybody have a similar experience and how to correct? Thanks

mutter
February 22, 2013, 17:02
I don't remember a mag. I thought they loaded from the butt in a tube.

As far as shooting that low I hope I'm wrong but the nylon stock was known for warping and causing that exact problem. Either buy a new stock.

or drill and tap the front screw on the rear sight through the sheet metal receiver cover into the barrel and then us a small screw to hold them together.

Or try shimming the muzzle end of the barrel between it and the end of the stock.

meltblown
February 22, 2013, 17:07
I don't remember a mag. I thought they loaded from the butt in a tube.

As far as shooting that low I hope I'm wrong but the nylon stock was known for warping and causing that exact problem. Either buy a new stock.

or drill and tap the front screw on the rear sight through the sheet metal receiver cover into the barrel and then us a small screw to hold them together.

Or try shimming the muzzle end of the barrel between it and the end of the stock.

The apache came after the nylon 66. This one is a nylon 77. Had a friend of mine when I was a kid that had the type you are talking about. Although nylon 66 is a variation of the polymer. This one is green and has the little 10 round mag. It's kinda cool.

Illurian00
February 22, 2013, 17:21
The 'Apache' had a black stock.
The 'Mohawk' had a brown stock.
Their was a chrome version w/ a black stock as well.
I've only seen a few green stocks at shows through the years.
Yes, their trade vale has increased quite a bit through the years.

As well, a South American company (Biotto ?) produced a copy , IIRC, back in the eighties (?)

ER
February 22, 2013, 20:13
The Apache 77 was a 5rd, mag fed nylon rifle made strictly for Kmart. The stock was green, and there are factory 10rd mags made for it as well. It is essentially a Mohawk 10C(brown stock, detachable mag, marked MOHAWK 10C) with a green stock. The grip cap is marked "APACHE 77"

The green, butt loader was the "Seneca Green" version of the nylon 66. There was also a chrome and black(Apache Chrome), all black/blue with black diamonds (Black Diamond), black/blue with white diamonds(Apache Black), and a brown/blue with white diamonds. The lever gun version was the Nylon 76(only lever gun Remington ever made), and the bolt versions were the 10 & 12`s.

I collected Remington 22s for 34 years, and recently sold all my nylons except for a minty 12...which I`ll let go for $750 if anyone is interested ;)

There was a version RARELY seen of the brown Nylon 66.....it is the forerunner of the Mohawk 10C...it is a brown stock, 5rd detachable mag, exactly like a 10C, but the grip cap is marked "NYLON 77"....when you find one, let me know......I pay cash ;)

ER
February 22, 2013, 20:14
As well, a South American company (Biotto ?) produced a copy , IIRC, back in the eighties (?)

CRE/FIE made them under license in Brazil

GSP228
February 22, 2013, 21:53
The Apache 77 was a 5rd, mag fed nylon rifle made strictly for Kmart. The stock was green, and there are factory 10rd mags made for it as well. It is essentially a Mohawk 10C(brown stock, detachable mag, marked MOHAWK 10C) with a green stock. The grip cap is marked "APACHE 77"

The green, butt loader was the "Seneca Green" version of the nylon 66. There was also a chrome and black(Apache Chrome), all black/blue with black diamonds (Black Diamond), black/blue with white diamonds(Apache Black), and a brown/blue with white diamonds. The lever gun version was the Nylon 76(only lever gun Remington ever made), and the bolt versions were the 10 & 12`s.

I collected Remington 22s for 34 years, and recently sold all my nylons except for a minty 12...which I`ll let go for $750 if anyone is interested ;)

There was a version RARELY seen of the brown Nylon 66.....it is the forerunner of the Mohawk 10C...it is a brown stock, 5rd detachable mag, exactly like a 10C, but the grip cap is marked "NYLON 77"....when you find one, let me know......I pay cash ;)Uh, just so happens I got one. Had to check the safe to be sure that was it. PM me.

ER
February 22, 2013, 22:56
PM sent....

Bruce Allen
February 23, 2013, 12:06
Anyway was playing with it at the range (actually did not think it was firing cause had my ear muffs on) and it shoots about 10-inches low at 100 yards with the rear sight screw at full elevation. Anybody have a similar experience and how to correct? Thanks

The common man's solution to a firerm hitting low is file down the front sight.

If the rear sightis elevated all the way and the barrel is installed correctly ( I had a Nylon 66 for 40 years until giving it to my eldest son) then a lower(ed) front sight will correct the problem.

Bear in mind altering the original equipment may affect any resale value the rifle has.