View Full Version : G22 replacement mag spring # of coils?

Timber Wolf
February 19, 2013, 14:01
I see both 10 coil & 11 coil Glock replacement springs for G22 mags. Wolff has springs too and donít say how many coils, just ď+10%Ē. I donít know what mags I have but most are Gen 3 or older, I might have a couple of the newer mags with the cut out on the front. I donít have any worn out mag springs (yet). The reason I started looking at them was I just picked up a Police trade in G23 and added a Pierce +2 pinkee extension to one of the 13 round mags bringing it up to 15 rounds. It feeds and functions fine but does not lock the slide back. I figure a longer G22 spring will allow it to function 100% and I might as well have some spare springs the way things are going. Anybody know the coil issue and if it makes any difference? Is the (newer) 11 coil spring better, and will it work in all mags? Should I just go with the (cheaper) Wolff springs and be done with it?

February 19, 2013, 21:09
Yes the G22 spring will work with the mag extension. The Wolff plus 10 springs are all I've ever used.

February 19, 2013, 21:47

I am a Glock armorer. In my experience the most common cause of the slide not locking back is an improperly installed the slide stop lever or one where the slide stop lever is damaged. But if the pistol is feeding and functioning fine, I doubt you have a slide stop issue.

So lets do this to pinpoint the problem.

1. Did the slide lock back on the magazine prior to the install of the +2 extension?

2. Does the magazine follower go all the way to the top of the magazine when empty and inserted into the pistol?

3. With no magazine in the pistol. Pull the slide to the rear and operate the slide stop lever manually. Does it move freely? If it does not check for the source of the interference. The spring may be bent or the retaining pin is pushed to far to one side.

4. Inspect the magazine follower for any damage to the left front where it contacts the slide stop lever. Also look at the slide stop lever for any signs of it being damaged.

All current Glock springs have 11 coils. Wollf makes great springs as well. Either will work for you.

Let me know, and we can get this worked out.

Timber Wolf
February 20, 2013, 09:21
1. Did the slide lock back on the magazine prior to the install of the +2 extension? Did not check, but it locks back with my other unmodified G23 mags & G22 mags.

2. Does the magazine follower go all the way to the top of the magazine when empty and inserted into the pistol?Good point, I will check.

It is not a big deal, but I do like the feel of the G23 mag with the Pierce extension. Interestingly, it is about the same length as a G22 mag. I have a G22 mag with sleeve that feels even better then the G23 mag with extension. The difference is the extended G23 mag is longer in the toe, and the sleeved G22 is longer at the heel. So, given my usual 3:30-4 o'clock carry postition in a Cross Breed Supertuck set with a little forward cant, the extended G23 mag is ever-so-slightly more concealable. Although there is not enough difference to matter and if I really want to hide it I would just go with the original length G23 mag.

February 20, 2013, 10:57
OK it sounds like the problem is with the single magazine. Look for obvious damage or interference issues.

Is this problem mag a new style mag with the silver horizontal cut on the front? if so, what number is on the follower?

If my notes are correct and I am certain they are, it needs a #6 7 8 or 9 to function the slide stop lever correctly. A #5 or earlier will not go high enough in the new style mags. Is it possible you mismatched some followers during the reassembly of your magazines?

Let me know,

February 21, 2013, 16:39
If the mag is not the problem check your grip. If you are used to shooting 1911s it my be your thumb is riding on the slide stop. This has been a common problem with the members of my department.