PDA

View Full Version : FN SLP Mark 1

stg7.62
February 18, 2013, 18:50
I have had a FN SLP MK1 for a month now. I don't have a lot of trigger time with it, but enough to know that this shotgun is a keeper! I can dump nine rounds in a few seconds easy. With 4 buck that is a lot of lead downrange quickly!!

Anyone else have one? I have not modified the shotgun at all, and do not plan on any mods either, other than maybe an aimpoint micro someday. Works great as is with the iron sights though.

This is not a cheap shotgun by any means, but it is a quality build, and tons of fun to blast with!!

Fn/form
February 18, 2013, 19:08
I've an SLP 18", use it in 3gun. Quick and very handy with reduced recoil slugs. They and quality bird/clays shells run fine on the light piston.

The only upgrade so far is a Nordic charging handle. Extended length is the primary advantage. Tho a broader surface helps with comfort. I almost blended the sharp edge of the outer end circumference... but I find it grips a bit more positive WITH that ridge.

Mesa wasn't making an SLP caddy at the time. Industrial velcro+TacStar has held fine over the last 3yrs.

Been thinking about adding a light. It will probably have to be a barrel clamp device with remote switch. Not fond of that.

stg7.62
February 18, 2013, 20:43
The Nordic charging handle looks cool, but does it stick out so far that it can catch on clothing ect?

They get a lot of good reviews, and are sold out everywhere. But for thirty bucks I think the stock charging handle will work for me.

I don't do any competition, but I sure did make my old direct tv dish pay the price!!!!!

Fn/form
February 18, 2013, 21:58
Haha, no catching on clothing. Cool doesn't matter. Function over Form's the name. ;-)

$30 aint bad for machined parts made in the US. It's a needed improvement when used at speed (length) and much more comfortable (shape). I guess it doesn't matter if you have all the time in the world.

Jaxxas
February 18, 2013, 23:00
I have had a FN SLP MK1 for a month now. I don't have a lot of trigger time with it, but enough to know that this shotgun is a keeper! I can dump nine rounds in a few seconds easy. With 4 buck that is a lot of lead downrange quickly!!

Anyone else have one? I have not modified the shotgun at all, and do not plan on any mods either, other than maybe an aimpoint micro someday. Works great as is with the iron sights though.

This is not a cheap shotgun by any means, but it is a quality build, and tons of fun to blast with!!

I have one, and I love it! Expensive shoutgun! Had it about a year now. I have a (4-8 moa?) c-more on mine. It's killer. I added an 8 round shell caddy to the left side and a sling. Definitely a quality machine. Only negative is the loading gate has a tendency to gouge my thumb.

idsubgun
February 19, 2013, 14:46
I have one but marked Winchester X2. Has the 8-round mag. Plan on using it in 3-gun if they have any matches where I'm going.

stg7.62
February 19, 2013, 20:14
Has anyone tried a rifled choke tube for slugs with the SLP? Gunblast.com did a review of the SLP MK1 years ago, he used a rifled choke tubes and got some nice groups at 100 yards. The tube was about four inches long, I don't remember what brand though.

The rifled choke tube adds even more versatility to an already outstanding shotgun.

I might have to get one!

Fn/form
February 19, 2013, 22:34
I have no problem hitting LaRue sniper targets at 80yds, first shot every time. Well, the ghost ring sights do help...

Jaxxas
February 19, 2013, 22:40
I have no problem hitting LaRue sniper targets at 80yds, first shot every time. Well, the ghost ring sights do help...

I've no problem hitting man sized silhouettes to 100 yds with slugs.

February 20, 2013, 16:24
looks like the retail price is north of $1000

Bug Tussell
February 20, 2013, 17:26
I got my SLP several years ago for 3 gun but lost impetus. It is the longer one with the rifle sights.
It will fire as fast as you can pull the trigger.

It hasn't been out of the safe for quite awhile. I might sell it.

rocknut
February 24, 2013, 10:48
I have one with about 1100 rounds through it. Other than a few ftl's that I caused by installing the wrong spring it has run 100%. I beveled the mag well, installed a +1 tube (that I'm taking off), added a 4round sidesaddle and a briley extended lm choke. My only complaint so far is the lack or aftermarket stocks. The factory one doesn't fit me quite right and it would be nice to be able to adjust it or install a different one...