PDA

View Full Version : ar-7 survival rifle

Project89
February 14, 2013, 00:18
i have one of these and my gf absolutly loves to shoot it.
the thing is pretty damn acurate too .
i do plan on buying a target barell and scope mount from ar-7.com for it since they are pretty cheap.

my main problem is the original 8 rd mags are worn out , so we have been using the 2 25rd ram-line mags i have, well on both of them the feed ears got so worn that the presure form the spring would make all 25 rds exit the mag.

i was able to take apart both mags and make 1 mag that works for now but who knows how long that will last.

the only mags i can find are the 8rd, and 15 rd metal mags , it doesnt apear that ram-line produces the 25rd mag anymore.

would there be any chance that any of u guys would know were to find some of these 25 rd mags as i know they work well , and the reviews on the aftermarket 8/15 rd mags are kind of crappy

thanks dave

ALL FAL
February 14, 2013, 02:30
Hi Dave, I've had 3 dif. models of the rifle, have always used the stock 8rnd, but I'll look around and see if some are hiding in E gun land, have you looked online brokerages?
If I locate some will post them here. Good luck. Hey, ask around at rimfire central?

Project89
February 14, 2013, 03:00
Hi Dave, I've had 3 dif. models of the rifle, have always used the stock 8rnd, but I'll look around and see if some are hiding in E gun land, have you looked online brokerages?
If I locate some will post them here. Good luck. Hey, ask around at rimfire central?

online brokerages???
ill give the other one a shot as well, as ive only been looking threw google searches and have come up pretty much empty handed

our factory 8rd mags are so worn that unless u hold the gun by the mag and apply foward presure the rounds will not feed, all the reviews i have seen on the aftermarket 8/15's have been pretty bad so im kind of leary of buying those.

BigBoy1
February 14, 2013, 03:59
our factory 8rd mags are so worn that unless u hold the gun by the mag and apply foward presure the rounds will not feed.

Since original complete magazines are scarce, how about fixing the ones you have? Sounds like the springs have worn out and replacing them just might fix the problem. Maybe an exact replacement spring is not available but perhaps there are other springs made which are "close" to the one you need and will fix your problem. Just a suggestion.

Project89
February 14, 2013, 04:41
Since original complete magazines are scarce, how about fixing the ones you have? Sounds like the springs have worn out and replacing them just might fix the problem. Maybe an exact replacement spring is not available but perhaps there are other springs made which are "close" to the one you need and will fix your problem. Just a suggestion.
its not the springs , when the mag is in the gun it wiggles around a good bit
i have thought about putting some small beads on the outside of the mag with my wire feed or tig welder then carefully grinding them down till the mag could be inserted snugly and not move around and it still may be something i try if i cant find a decent replacement

what happens is the front of the mag rocks and the feed ramp in the mag no longer lines up with the chamber so when the bolt comes foward the front of the bullet either gets sliced by the edge of the chamber or the tip of the bullet hits just below the chamber and it jams. thats why i have not been using the 8rd mags

now if u hold the mag with ur hand it will feed just fine, not an issue for me but my gf cant do it, she can get 2-3 shots off and then she moves her hand a lil bit and the gun jams

after work ill take some pictures maybe u guys can help me fix what i have, so far my biggest gun project was polishing an old bolt action .22 rifle i have were all the blueing was almost worn off and i refinished a few stocks

ALL FAL
February 14, 2013, 06:40
Hey Dave, what kind of follower is in the mag? Reason I ask is if the follower is not flat along the plane and may have a worn front edge as in the cast pot metal of an ruger .22 mag, I filed mine in the ruger down after many 1000's of rounds and it started working perfectly, I'll look at my ar7 mags in the morning and study them.

1gewehr
February 14, 2013, 12:17
If I were you, I would just get some from Henry Arms. The factory mags work well and are well-made.
Most aftermarket mags for the AR-7 are junk. I have a couple of 10rd mags I bought back in the '80's which work well. But I have not seen any more and they don't have any markings on them except 'AR-7'. I have yet to know anyone who managed to get the aftermarket 15rd mags to work reliably.

catmguy445
February 14, 2013, 23:41
If I were you, I would just get some from Henry Arms. The factory mags work well and are well-made.
Most aftermarket mags for the AR-7 are junk. I have a couple of 10rd mags I bought back in the '80's which work well. But I have not seen any more and they don't have any markings on them except 'AR-7'. I have yet to know anyone who managed to get the aftermarket 15rd mags to work reliably.

Ditto. Try a Henry magazine and see if that fits and works. Several different companies over the years have made the AR-7,Henry being the current one, but I think all of them used the same magazine design. You might also try looking on Gun Broker and Guns America for AR-7 magazines, and check Numrich (http://www.gunpartscorp.com) to see if they have any AR-7 mags for sale.

Project89
February 15, 2013, 03:13
thanks guys the one i have is an original charter arms ar-7 but i do belive u guys are right and the henry mags do fit.

i did see some on gun brokers of the ram line 25rd mags which i might have to jump on never had a problem with those mags even pulling the trigger as fast as i can they have always worked flawlesly. the only downside to them is i cant carry them in the buttstock like the factory 8rd ones so ill pick up a soingle henry mag and give it a shot.

one of the reasons i like the 25rd so much is i can load up 2-3 of those for my gf when at our local range and it keeps her busy for a while before i have to reload the mags for her since she hates loading them.guess she got spoiled with the stripper clips for the m1 carbine since i take those to the range so she can reload those fast. then i just refill them when we get home incase of a shtf type deal

im curious if any of u guys have any feedback on the ar-7.com steel target barrel that is taped for the scope mount

ALL FAL
February 16, 2013, 02:41
Haven't looked at the barrel you speak of, I did take an BL.22 barrel and adapted it to an action that was given to me, made a light aluminum stock for it too, shoots much better than a stock barrel.

JohnnyMac
February 16, 2013, 07:01
A welath of all things .22 LR can be found at Rimfire Central Forums (http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php).

If there are any reliability/performance mods that can/have been done on those AR-7 mags, you'll probably find it on that site.

JMc

mister2
March 03, 2013, 10:23
Late to the thread and for whatever it's worth...

http://joespawnshop.net/Henry-Survival-Rifle-AR-7-NEW-15rd-mag-80400.htm