PDA

View Full Version : Help with FAL HB Spare parts.

doneill
February 03, 2013, 13:35
Hello:

I am new to The FAL and started with an Israeli HB built by Tim LaFrance on one of his receivers. I am waiting for ATF approval of the Form 4. In the mean time I am trying to assemble a reasonable spare parts kit. I have a spare barrel, firing pins, wood and extractors and a few springs.

I'm told I should also have a spare bolt carrier and bolt, and that for a spare, either a one cam or two cam unit will work fine. Unfortunately I don't know how to tell the difference and how to buy a carrier and bolt that are compatible with each other and the receiver.

I would appreciate someone who knows telling me "you should look for a ------ bolt and bolt carrier" AND "You should also get the following spare parts: -----", finally: Are one piece and two piece firing pins interchangeable?

Thanks in advance.

Dave O'Neill

BigBoy1
February 03, 2013, 14:27
Dave,

How often do you hear about a bolt or bolt carrier "wearing out"? The small breakable items such as firing pins and springs, extractors are the ones you need. I've had my selective fire FAL for about 35 years and I have yet to break and replace the first part on my FAL. FALs are built very well and can take a lot of use. The selective fire bolt carrier are different than the semi-auto carriers. On the bottom of the bolt carrier at the rear are two ridges running towards the front of the bolt carrier. If these ridges are the same short length, that is a semi-auto bolt carrier. If one ridge is long and the other is short, then that bolt carrier is for a selective fire FAL. What most importers are doing is milling off the long ridge to make it a semi-auto bolt carrier. If you still want to look for a selective fire bolt carrier, make sure you get a picture of the bottom to makes sure it as not been modified.

Prototype Services
February 03, 2013, 16:18
Remember the locking shoulder, bolt, and barrel chamber are all related to headspace. Having a spare bolt would be useless or perhaps even dangerous unless you find one that maintains headspace with your assembled rifle.

doneill
February 03, 2013, 20:25
Thanks for the reply. I'm new to the FAL so I have no personal experience and none of the guys I shoot with shoot FA FAKS. All I have to go on so far is what I've read or been given as advice from the boards. I have had a few folks make some suggestion, and only one reported keeping a spare bolt and bolt carrier. He said he was lucky and that the gun head-spaced ok with the spare bolt so he didn't need a spare locking shoulder too. I have read the method of checking head space but have not bought the gauges.

Having said that, thanks for the positive take on the FAL, the guidance that a spare bolt and carrier are not needed and the description of the difference between SA and FA carrier. Sounds similar to the difference between the AR FA and SA carrier. I will look at the pictures to try to learn.

Finally, what is the story on firing pins? Do two-piece fp's substitute for one piece or do they fit different models?

Thanks again,

Dave O'Neill

NHBandit
February 04, 2013, 12:10
2 comments about headspacing. I have to respectfully dissagree with Prototype Services. It was not that the other guy "got lucky" that his spare bolt headspaced properly. While it's always a good idea to verify, what would be unusual would be for a different bolt to not headspace properly. There have been several threads on here over the years concerning this and the conclusion is that nearly all bolts will headspace the same due to the tight tolerances involved in making them. A member "Raspeguy", if I remember correctly, did a comparison of many different bolts of every manufacturer imaginable and found them to ALL be within spec. Second point is that it is the bolt that determines headspace, NOT the carrier so swapping carriers should have zero effect. You can headspace a FAL with just the bolt if you prefer that method and alot of guys do just that. Welcome to the files. There are guys here who can answer just about any question you could possibly think of but you might get more response posting in the general gunsmithing forum. It gets more action than this one.

doneill
February 04, 2013, 22:13
I appreciate the advice. I will post more on general gunsmithing in the future. So far the experience has been good here, good information, a couple of fair trades and a couple of fair (given todays prices) purchases.

Dave

fnogger
February 05, 2013, 08:09
Just for giggles I'll mention that the 22 conversion kit that member kurbelgehause is making he's mentioned being able to set them up for FA...

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316192

doneill
February 06, 2013, 08:45
Froggy:

I ordered one and sent him 3 mags for conversion, I'm thinking about sending him more. My only concern is my fear 20 that 20 rds will be gone in a heartbeat (or two at the most).
Dave

Lee Carpentieri
February 07, 2013, 09:32
Quote doneill,
My only concern is my fear 20 that 20 rds will be gone in a heartbeat (or two at the most).

Thats called trigger control to reduce sustained full-auto fire. I also have one of LaFrances type three F/A receivers built into an OSW Fal, It was built 14 years ago. The weapon can empty a 20 round mag in 3 seconds flat on a mag dump. Excessive, HELL YEAH, But thats why I say trigger control, Theirs no getting around that part. With a twenty inch barrel your cycle rate will be reduced greatly to around 650 rounds a minute, My OSW fires around 950 RPM, So with mine it,s all about true trigger control.

As for the firing pins, I use the two piece firing pin, Less problems with finding spare parts for the future and went with the two piece extracter system, Again, Less problems in the future with finding spare parts.

With my OSW, I've fired over 10K rounds through it since owning it and have yet to break anything in it. Lee.

ad263210
February 07, 2013, 10:29
Lee,

can you post some pictures (or videos) of your OSW?

I am currently waiting on a form 4 for an OSW that was built off of a transferable sar48 receiver. I haven't got to shoot it yet, so I am hungry for any photos or videos.

Cheers

BigBoy1
February 08, 2013, 19:29
A while back someone was offering for sale a 50 rd. .308 drum for the FAL. I bought one but I haven't tried it with my selective fire FAL so I can't comment on its functioning. It fits very nice and it lock very snuggly into the magazine well.

BigBoy1
February 08, 2013, 19:31
Just for giggles I'll mention that the 22 conversion kit that member kurbelgehause is making he's mentioned being able to set them up for FA...

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316192

I did order a selective fire conversion kit but he required that I send him a copy of the Form 4 for the FAL to prove that I did own a legal selective FAL.

doneill
February 08, 2013, 23:02
Lee:

No argument. Obviously the shorter the bursts and the longer the time between bursts the longer the magazine lasts. I can shoot single shots all day with a couple of guns which is nice when the plates are set light and 30-36 rounds seem to go on forever.

On the other hand, given the same trigger control a 30 round mag lasts twice as long as a 15 round mag. My point = I'd rather have 30.

I like the idea mine might run at 650 Rounds per minute. That is slower than I expect.

I am glad your unique firearm has run so well for you. do you know how many FAL's LaFrance made in total?

Dave

Ted III
February 14, 2013, 00:34
Why do people feel the need to request Sensitive and Personal tax documents for parts ?

There is no law requiring a tax payer to divulge such personal information of non controlled parts, yet people freely give out their sensitive information without asking why the seller needs or even has clearance to see such tax documentation.

I will never divulge my personal NFA tax information to anyone but an ATF or IRS agent and would seek a different seller that doesn't feel the need to create law on a whim to "cover their own ass " for parts that are not regulated by the NFA.