PDA

View Full Version : Scoping a Woo?

Zenkoanhead
January 31, 2013, 21:11
I did some research and bought a Bushnell DOA 600 with built in drop compensating reticle. However, I just installed the Sturmwerkz low rail and now the scope won't clear the rear sight assembly. I would like to use a see through set of rings to BUIS. Any suggestions? One piece cantilever mount?

I fear that unless really solid I cannot achieve the distance the scope will shoot. Cutting of the rear sight is not an option!

Twizdd
February 02, 2013, 11:26
I had the same problem with my DR200. Wanted to put a Falcon 1-4.5 power on mine set in a one piece mount with the SW low pro rail, same issue. I ended up dropping a red dot from one of my ARs on the Woo and the scope on the AR. Higher rings or a riser would probably be the answer, but in my case, I had better things to spend the money on, so I went the cheap route and just moved optics around. When I have more cash and less projects, I'll revisit scoping the Woo. Let us know what you decide to go with and how you like it.

Zenkoanhead
February 02, 2013, 15:26
I too have a red dot on mine for close range. It is a Tru-glo 3 dot crossbow version with one dot appearing at the top of the front post as seen with the BUIS, one dot in the center, and one dot at the base. A very effective sight picture with a firm cheek weld.

Without the cheek weld the middle dot appears to be at the top of the post and the tube acts as a big ghost ring, more than accurate enough for close range.

I am thinking the NcStar QD one piece mount would clear the rear sight with the scope, but that one is not see through.

I am tempted to purchase a bolt 223 and put the scope on that and forget about trying to turn a Woo into a sniper rifle. The Woo is really not up to 600 yard shooting, is it?

Twizdd
February 03, 2013, 02:00
The Woos rifling twist rate is a bit slow to get the heavier .223 bullets to stabilize for longer range shooting. I won't say that it can't be done, but I'd personally go the the bolt action route. Well, I have two Savages actually, that my 11 year old son and I use for Yote huntin and long range plinkin. They weren't very expensive and both shoot quite well at 500 yards. I love my ARs, and my DR200, but I still prefer the bolt guns for long range stuff. Call me old fashion, I guess.

Zenkoanhead
February 03, 2013, 12:58
I was thinking a Stevens 200 as I read that the Savage Axis is not as nice. I will survey the forum on distance.

Zenkoanhead
February 12, 2013, 00:21
I ended up buying a CAA cantilever mount on Amazon and it works pretty well. As luck would have it, it is a see through design not mentioned online. BUIS work unless I put on scope covers.

The cantilever is pointed over the ears of the rear sight, so it looks backward. The mount only uses one bolt, but fastens down securely. I need to scrounge up a wing nut style to replace the factory hex for field use.

I will report back after I sight in.