PDA

View Full Version : Open Top Holster Suggestions For N Frame Revolver?

wkendwarrior2003
January 24, 2013, 22:37
Well,

I have a Smith and Wesson Model 1917 Classic (model 22, 5.5 inch barrel, 45 ACP) and am trying, probably in vain, to find a decent open top revolver holster for it (don't really care for thumb breaks). Obviously not trying to conceal this thing being as big as it is, just looking for something that can be worn on a duty belt for open carry.

Ideally I'd opt for something really modern and high speed like a Blackhawk Serpa, but as long as I'm off in Never-Gonna-Happen-Land, I might as well just wish for the redhead of my dreams to drop out of the sky also:rofl:

Something like this seems decent:

http://www.texasleathercompany.com/Revolver-Open-Top.html

Not sure if I'd prefer the cant of the holster, but I could probably work with it.

Anybody have any ideas?

CamW
January 25, 2013, 00:25
I have a Center Of Mass kydex holster for my S&W 25-2, 4" barrel. I got the straight drop model.
Well made and reasonably priced.

http://comholsters.com/themall/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=3&osCsid=6cf84594ea6e490e05bd860175c76789

bykerhd
January 25, 2013, 09:04
Simply Rugged makes some nice stuff.
I have a couple including one for a 4" N frame that I am very happy with.
They have a couple options for style as well as ornamentation, etc.

http://shop.simplyrugged.com/ecommerce/Sourdough-Pancake%E2%84%A2-.cfm?item_id=151&parent=669

Timber Wolf
January 25, 2013, 17:23
I don't have a Simply Rugged but it is kind of on my list to get one, and for a 4" N frame as a matter of fact. Actually a nice 625 .45 Colt Mountain Gun, but I want a flap holster, just 'cause. I have an ancient Safariland thumb break holster for a 4" N frame. I actually came as part of the deal with a 4" Colt New Service. It is old and beat, the holster not the gun, but is still a favorite. I am not sure what you do not like about thumb breaks but I like them. It is natural for me to pop one while getting a grip on the gun.

wkendwarrior2003
January 26, 2013, 21:36
I don't have a Simply Rugged but it is kind of on my list to get one, and for a 4" N frame as a matter of fact. Actually a nice 625 .45 Colt Mountain Gun, but I want a flap holster, just 'cause. I have an ancient Safariland thumb break holster for a 4" N frame. I actually came as part of the deal with a 4" Colt New Service. It is old and beat, the holster not the gun, but is still a favorite. I am not sure what you do not like about thumb breaks but I like them. It is natural for me to pop one while getting a grip on the gun.

I don't like thumb breaks for the same reason most people probably don't like 5.5" barreled 45 ACP revolvers--to me they are largely outdated, and I don't need or want one. Doesn't mean naturally a thumb break holster isn't any good, I'm just looking for something else.

genmeagher
January 29, 2013, 23:45
I don't like thumb breaks for the same reason most people probably don't like 5.5" barreled 45 ACP revolvers--to me they are largely outdated, and I don't need or want one. Doesn't mean naturally a thumb break holster isn't any good, I'm just looking for something else.

Who in their right mind wouldn't fall in love with a .45 ACP S&W???

Have you given any thought to the j.Rourke pancakes? If you have a waffle-lovin' waistline like mine, you can prob conceal one of those S&W's behind your caboose.

Holsters for that beaut arent easy to come by. It took me eight years to find a NOS Brauer shoulder holster for a 1917 .45.

Good luck, bud!