PDA

View Full Version : Which FAL is this?

IndianaFALguy
January 22, 2013, 10:14
Hi fellow FAL owners. This is my first post although I have been reading yours for a month now. Glad to finally have the opportunity to take part in some of these discussions.

Anyways, I recently acquired my first FAL by trading tree removal services with a long time client. I saw on the upper receiver that it said DSA SA58, so just assumed it was cut and dry and that's what I had. But then found all these articles about STG58's being parts kits built on DSA receivers. I've tried calling/emailing DSArms several times with no response with hopes of having them tell me what I have. Most of you know how contact with DSArms has been lately.

I just want to know what I have and would like to ask for the help of FALfiles members in IDing this rifle. I have taken pics of what I think would be important in the identification, although, as it turns out I am not allowed to post attachments (which I just learned as I was looking for the attachment button).

Without pics, what info could I supply that would help me with IDing? Any help would be appreciated.

def90
January 22, 2013, 10:28
load your pics onto a hosting site such as google images, facebook or whatever then post the links here.

Do the selector markings say S-E-D or S-R-A? SED would be StG which in my opinion is much more desirable than an all DSA rifle. For that matter, any surplus parts are going to be better than DSA made parts.

DSA also sells receivers so anyone could buy a receiver and build any kind of FAL kit on the receiver.

one hand clapping
January 22, 2013, 10:34
Roger that.

You can also contact the DSA rep here on the board, as their office seems to be swamped due to public panic orders.

R1shooter is his handle

IndianaFALguy
January 22, 2013, 10:48
Here's the link. Let me know if you need more. Also, one weird thing I noticed with the hand guard is that the small front part of it is olive green while the rest is black. I haven't been able to find any of these online and was wondering why it would be like that.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/92475618@N02/

Pluribus
January 22, 2013, 11:05
Imbel t2 on a DSA t2 receiver. Likely a kit build since it has a FSE folding CH and the mis-match DSA HGs. Looks like a WolfsburgBob PG and Penguin BS.

Nice looking rifel.

IndianaFALguy
January 22, 2013, 11:08
Any idea on the value of this rifle (pre panic prices)?

Pluribus
January 22, 2013, 11:20
Edit on my original post.

No idea on value now. Prices are all over the place. Pre- panic? $800 - $1100? maybe, I hadn't paid that much attention.

def90
January 22, 2013, 11:38
Mismatched numbers kit build by a private party, not DSA. Pre panic, agree with the $800-$1100 range. Now? who knows..

johnny.308
January 22, 2013, 11:54
Last year DSA was building Imbel kits on their receivers and selling them for $999.99 IIRC.

IndianaFALguy
January 22, 2013, 14:52
So based on parts involved, if it was properly built, should this be a pretty good rifle?

def90
January 22, 2013, 14:53
should be fine