PDA

View Full Version : Value of Colt python and Anaconda

bouncer50
January 22, 2013, 06:49
I have two Colt Python one is a six inch model with about 85-90 percent blue. The other a four inch with almost 100 percent blue. I have a 6 inch Anaconda stainless in 45 long colt. And a 8 inch Anaconda in 44 mag. With all the crazy prices going on now. What are the average value for them now.:confused:

Retired Bum
January 22, 2013, 12:40
You pretty much nailed it about the crazy prices. This is especially true of the Colt double action revolvers such as the Python and Anaconda. So it is virtually impossible to give a ballpark figure these days. When the gun buying frenzy settles down I think realistic prices can be attached to your guns.

However those prices will almost certainly be lower than what you might be able to get at the present time. If I had those Pythons and the Anaconda I would put a tag of $2000 each and see if anybody bites. Some people with more money than sense might just shell out two big ones for a classic Colt. And you always have the option of lowering the price or just hanging on to them for the present time. One thing is for sure, Colt won't be making any more of them in your lifetime. And the prices will continue to rise over the years due scarcity and collectability. Just my opinion of course....

And so it goes

The Retired One

phillyray
January 22, 2013, 14:37
Colt Pythons and Anacondas were very expensive revolvers before the panic buying. I don't think any revolver went up in price due to the panic buying. Most of what I've seen is just stupid prices on semi auto stuff.

If you really want to sell them post them on gunbroker and start the auction at the minimum you would take for them and see what happends.

brunop
January 22, 2013, 16:14
I bought a 6" barrel Python in SS for $2,000 on gunbroker about five years ago. Shoulda bought the one at Bi-Mart in 1987 when they quit selling handguns and were clearing them out: $300.00...

There are a bunch of people trying to get big hits on their Colts right now, but they aren't getting any bids on GB. Anything with a bid is either LNIB and hard to find (4" SS NIB) for slightly more than $2000, or it is under $2000 - several in the $1600 to $1800 neighborhood.

Pythons are more expensive than Anacondas. The .357 Mag is still the average guy's 'big round' in a revolver.

Scottso
January 22, 2013, 21:57
Realistic prices, no frenzy on wheel guns, $1500-2000 top

Timber Wolf
January 23, 2013, 13:19
It was not too long ago that I figured the "base" price of Python's was around a $1,000. Start at a thousand and go up or down depending on condition, factory grips, box, papers, barrel, finish, etc. Around this time (3 or so years ago) I got my "shooter+" condition 1965 4" Python for $425, in a private sale. Now I guess the base price is closer to 2K, they are not that much fun, and I REALLY like Colt revolvers. I have been looking for an old Colt 357 to fill a niche in the collection for a while and think I waited too long. I am willing to pay $650 for a nice one or $450 for a shooter but their seem to none to be had in my price range. Shoot, I used to be able to buy a nice Official Police at an auction for less than $200 when people were paying $250 for loose old S&W Model 10s. Guess I am glad for what I have managed to snag.

D P Six
January 24, 2013, 00:50
Pythons sure are fine looking guns from a different time. Everyone should have one. Most that have been use a good bit have timing issues. If you have shot your Python a lot and it has developed endshake problems, few gunsmiths outside the factory know how to work on them anymore. I shoot my Smiths, the 'pretty' Python stays idle in the safe.

Shep 762
January 24, 2013, 15:07
seen a couple pythons in a gunshow recently in the middle of the current frenzy priced around $2000... people where stepping on them to get to the ARs.

ok not quite but the booths that had them where quite lonely

Clark
February 18, 2013, 11:58
My brother bought a Python for $800 from a walk in at a gun show about a year ago.

We got some Rem 38 special wadcutter brass with thin walls and some wadcutter bullets.. We put 2 gr of powder in and seated the bullets flush with the case mouth. He bought a burris pistol scope. He gets nice groups at 75 yards with those handloads, but not very good groups with regular 38 special or 357 mag ammo.

He realizes now that his Python came with aftermarket grips, and getting it back to stock would take a couple hundred more dollars.

I would get a Python too at $800, but not at $2000.

In the past couple months I have bought some other Colt revolvers. Two of which might be called "ugly Pythons":
Colt Officer's Model Match 1954 1-7-2013 $349 + tax
Officer's model heavy barrel 38 special 1950 1-19-2013 $425 + tax

charles isaac
February 18, 2013, 15:05
"ugly Pythons":
Colt Officer's Model Match 1954 1-7-2013 $349 + tax
Officer's model heavy barrel 38 special 1950 1-19-2013 $425 + tax

Speaking of "ugly pythons", here's an "Officers Model Special". Got it off Gunbroker for $230 something because no one wanted this ugly bull barreled MFer! :rofl:

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv236/kragbolo/zzzcolt-1-1.jpg?t=1288135903

Jailguard
February 18, 2013, 17:40
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/jailman_1/IMG_20101123_150613.jpg

This is my Dad's Python that got sold after he passed away I found it in the shop it was sold to about a year after it was sold. It cost me $750 to get it back only because the shop owners knew me and my father so I got it for what they had in it. It had the ugly Colt Packmyer grips on it I replace them with old Colt Rose wood grips from their custom shop. When my Dad had the gun he had custum made wood grips because his hand was messed up from being shot. I wish I could find those but they are probably in the trash some where. It does not get shot much but it will never leave me again.

P.S. it is hard chromed because it was his carry gun while being a Security Officer for the MGM hotel in Las Vegas. After it was reblued by Colt for the second time he decide to have it chromed. It rode in a drop swivle holster for over 10 years.

phillyray
February 18, 2013, 17:59
Nice Python Jailguard! Good story about getting it back too!

Here is mine.

charles isaac
February 18, 2013, 20:04
This is my Dad's Python.......

Good to see you have Dads Python-it's a great old "working man's gun" with that hard chrome finish.

STGThndr
February 18, 2013, 22:12
Interesting thread... nice pics of fine revolvers. Mine is too nice to shoot- it was a dream "cuz I can" purchase meant among other things to equal or surpass my bud's model 66 Smith. I sold it to my brother who sold it to someone else who sold it back to my brother, who upon his passing left it to me, from whence by the Grace of God it will not depart until my own passing. Anyway I wince when carrying it and really should get that leather flap holster. I did sell the 66 I bought, finding that "Having is not so pleasing as wanting.." and replaced it with a Mod 28, which tho pristine is eminently shootable.

Timber Wolf
February 19, 2013, 08:19
Interesting thread... nice pics of fine revolvers. I did sell the 66 I bought, finding that "Having is not so pleasing as wanting.." and replaced it with a Mod 28, which tho pristine is eminently shootable.

You never have too many Magnums. I have a Python; 3 S&W 19's, 2 27's, 2 28's, a 66 and a 686+; Ruger Blackhawk, Speed Six, 3 Security Sixes, SP101 & GP100; and a Dan Wesson 4 barrel Pistol Pack. Oh, and a .357 Hotshot barrel for my TC Contender.

For Magnum "plinking" one of the 28's or the GP100 will be in the range bag although I shoot the Dan Wesson as well or better than any of them.

Clark
February 23, 2013, 17:43
I saw a Python for sale today at the huge Puyallup gun show with hundreds of tables.

It was $2200.

Shep 762
February 25, 2013, 11:23
I bought a python a few days ago and I have to say, if you're looking for one I think you can use this climate to your advantage. The person I bought mine from seemed more interested in selling this fathers old wheelgun to fund the purchase of stamped steel rifles and 9mm reloads... I can't justify his position, but I (and I never thought I'd say this) was glad to be on the receiving end of a python :D