PDA

View Full Version : New York configuration

UpstateGlocker
January 19, 2013, 17:49
New York (yes, some of us still live here) just passed Governor Cuomo's gun laws, which include (a) if you already own an "assault" rifle you can keep it but must register it, and (b) no new sales of assault rifles, period.

The definition of "assault" rifle is a 1-feature test -- if the action on a rifle is semi-auto, then with even 1 "assault" feature it is labeled an assault rifle and must be registered. The list of features includes bayonet mount, flash suppressor, etc but also a pistol grip (!!).

If you remove the pistol grip and permanently modify the rifle so it cannot be re-attached, and assuming no other assault features, you can avoid the registration requirement.

Question: has anyone tried modifying their FAL to remove the pistol grip? How does it affect balance, grip, aim, etc? I suppose I'll just do it on the next range trip but I am determined not to register my firearms (one step toward confiscation, most likely) so we're going to have to be pistol gripless. p.s. we get 1 year, until Jan 2014) to make the mods.

LaConservationist
January 19, 2013, 17:57
Does this mean New Yorkens will be buying up all the discarded and spider web covered "BUTT-HOLE" stocks?

LaC

Yeah, this is a WOO, but pretty close to the same stock on the FAL Sporters.....

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj295/DYNOMIKE_photos/P4180015.jpg

DakTo
January 19, 2013, 18:05
Please read the law. Here is a summary:

■Private sales of assault weapons to someone other than an immediate family would be subject to a background check through a dealer.
■Internet sales of assault weapons would be banned, and failing to safely store a weapon could be subject to a misdemeanor charge.
■Ammunition magazines would be restricted to seven bullets, from the current 10, and current owners of higher-capacity magazines would have a year to sell them out of state. An owner caught at home with eight or more bullets in a magazine could face a misdemeanor charge.
■In another provision, a therapist who believes a mental health patient made a credible threat to use a gun illegally would be required to report it to a mental health director who would have to notify the state. A patient's gun could be taken from him or her.
■The legislation also increases sentences for gun crimes including the shooting of a first responder that Cuomo called the "Webster provision." Last month in the western New York town of Webster, two firefighters were killed after responding to a fire set by the shooter, who eventually killed himself.

The problems are a poll given to ten different people will result in 10 different opinions on what the new restrictions imply. I use the word imply as like the 1994 NYS AWB they are short on some specifics.

LaConservationist
January 19, 2013, 18:16

■Ammunition magazines would be restricted to seven bullets, from the current 10, and current owners of higher-capacity magazines would have a year to sell them out of state. An owner caught at home with eight or more bullets in a magazine could face a misdemeanor charge.

1) So since CCF Permit doesn't say how many single stack P238's, or P938 or Glock G36 pistols you can carry as long as ONE of them doesn't have mag capacity of more than 7!
OR just get you a couple BADASS COONAN .357 Magnums!!

2)Does this mean they can come into your home at anytime and check your firearms???

CRAZY CHIT no matter how you look at it!!!

LaC

Batman890
January 19, 2013, 18:31
LaC,
The way I understand it, changing the stock doesn't matter. If the weapon is semi-auto and has a detachable mag, it has to be sold out of state or registered. My Benelli Super 90 w/PG is now illegal as well as my M-1 Garands.

shooter56
January 19, 2013, 18:36
Isn't the M-1s part of the history of the USA? Stupid NY laws

Spktyr
January 19, 2013, 18:44
New York (yes, some of us still live here) just passed Governor Cuomo's gun laws, which include (a) if you already own an "assault" rifle you can keep it but must register it, and (b) no new sales of assault rifles, period.

The definition of "assault" rifle is a 1-feature test -- if the action on a rifle is semi-auto, then with even 1 "assault" feature it is labeled an assault rifle and must be registered. The list of features includes bayonet mount, flash suppressor, etc but also a pistol grip (!!).

If you remove the pistol grip and permanently modify the rifle so it cannot be re-attached, and assuming no other assault features, you can avoid the registration requirement.

Question: has anyone tried modifying their FAL to remove the pistol grip? How does it affect balance, grip, aim, etc? I suppose I'll just do it on the next range trip but I am determined not to register my firearms (one step toward confiscation, most likely) so we're going to have to be pistol gripless. p.s. we get 1 year, until Jan 2014) to make the mods.

You do realize that you'll have to somehow permanently modify your rifle so you can never put a regular stock or pistol grip on it again? (http://www.governor.ny.gov/2013/gun-reforms-faq)

Q: If I modify my gun by removing all design characteristics that makes it an assault weapon, do I have to register it?
A: No. If you modify your gun so that it is not an assault weapon, you do not have to register it. The modification must be permanent however. This includes, for example, removing the bayonet lug by cutting or grinding, grinding off the threads on the barrel, removing the foregrip so that it cannot be readily reattached, or any change that cannot be reversed through reasonable means.

Doesn't matter what you do to it anyway - before they changed their site to forward people to the NY Governor's site, the NY State Troopers listed the FAL as requiring registration no matter what the configuraton under the NY SAFE act. So you're pretty much boned.

I got the list off their site before they changed it:
Any AR-15 variant designed to fire ammunition in any caliber manufactured by the firms listed below:

Alexander Arms
AAC
Accurate Tool & Manufacturing
Adams
Ad-Tek
Addax Tactical
AFM
Adcor
Ameetec
AGP Arms
Ardel Engineering & Manufacturing
American Spirit Arms
ArmaLite
American Tactical
Anderson Manufacturing
Anvil Arms
Aero Precision
ATI
Arizona Armory
Barnes Precision Machine
Barrett Firearms Manufacturing
Bartlett Enterprises
Battle Born
BCM
Black Heart International (BHI)
Black Hole Weaponry
Black Rain Ordnance
Blackthorne
BOHICA
Bushmaster Firearms International
C3 Defense
Carolina Mountain Tactical
Cavalry Arms
CD Defense
Century Arms
Centurion Arms
Continental Machine & Tool (CMT)
Charles Daly firearms
Christensen Arms
CMMG
Colt's Manufacturing Company
Colt Canada (previously Diemaco)
Core 15 Rifles Systems
Crusader Weaponry
Dalphon
Dane Armory
Daniels Defense
Dedicated Technology
Del-Ton
Delaware Machinery
Denny's Guns
Diamondback
Dlask
Double Diamond
Double Star
Dreadnaught Industries

DSC/J&P Dist.
DPMS Panther Arms
DS Arms
DSG Arms
Eagle Arms
Essential Arms
Ferfrans
FN
Frankford Arsenal
Floro International Corporation
Firebird Precision
Fulton Armory
GATITO Arms
Good Times Outdoors
Gunsmoke
Head Down Products
Heckler and Koch
Hesse Arms
Hero-Guns
High Standard Manufacturing Company
Hogan
Hughes Precison Products
Huldra
Iron Ridge Arms
JD Machine Tech
JP Rifles, Inc.
Kaiser
Kies
Knight's Armament Company
LAR
LaRue
Lauer Custom Weaponry
Legion Firearms
Les Baer
Lewis Machine and Tool Company
Land Warfare Resources Corporation International (LWRCI)
Lone Wolf
Loki Weapons Systems
LMT
LRB Arms
M2 Corporation
Magpul Industries
McKay Enterprises, LLC.
MGI
Mega Machine
Mohawk Armory
Mossberg
New Frontier Arms
Next Generation
Nodak Spud
Norinco
Noveske
Olympic Arms
Ordnance, Inc

Palmetto
Patriot
Para-Ordnance (Para-USA)
PAW Arms
Plum Crazy
POF
Predator Custom Shop
Professional Ordnance, Inc.
PWA
PWS
Quality Arms
Quentin Defense
R-Guns
Red Jacket LLC.
Red River Tactical
Remington Arms
RGM
Rip Tactical
RND Machining
Rock River Arms
Rocky Mountain Arms
Roggio Arsenal
Sabre Defence/Manroy USA
Schmeisser
Seekins
Sendra
Sharps
Sig Sauer
Sionics
SI Defense
SLR-15
Smith & Wesson
Spikes Tactical
SOG Armory
SMOS
Stag Arms
Sturm, Ruger
Surplus Ammo& Arms
STI
Stinger Arms
Superior Arms
Sun Devil
Tactical Innovations
Tactical Machining
TNW
United Defense Manufacturing Corporation
USA Tactical Firearms
Vltor
Vulcan
Wilson Combat
Windham
YHM Corp
Z-M Weapons
Zombie Defense

AK-47
Any AK- 47 variant designed to fire ammunition in any caliber manufactured by the firms listed below:

Hesse
Norinco
AK Concepts
Hungarian Arsenal Inc
Styer
Piece of History Firearms LLC
PolyTech
Dragunov Sniper Rifles
Poly Technologies
B-West
Cugir Arsenal
Sadu Arsenal
Bulgarian Arsenal
Global Trades
Armory USA
Horn Custom rifle
Izhevsk Factory - Russia
MLS99
Ohio Ordnance Works

Ohio Rapid Fire
Polyany Arsenal - Russia
Century Arms
Ewbank Manufactureing
Krebs Custom Inc.
AK USA Manufacturing
Marshall Arms
Vector Arms
Red Jacket Firearms
Romarms
State Armory in Radom – Poland
Lucznik in Radom – Poland
Suhl Factory – East Germany
Ernst Thaelmann VEB – East Germany
Firing Line
Robinson Armament Co.
Vulcan Arms

Krinks
Tapco
Tula Arsenal - Russia
Precision Metal Works
American Arms
Arsenal
B-West
Hesse Arms
Russian American Arms
Firing line
Global Trades/Armory USA
Inter Ordnance
Kalashnikov USA
MAADI CO
MARS
Mitchell Arms, Inc
Valmet
WUM

The following rifles, pistols and shotguns are classified as assault weapons:

SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLES:

Norinco 84S, and 86S
Poly Technologies AKS and AK47
UZI and Galil
Beretta AR-70
CETME Sporter
Daewoo
K-1
K-2
Max 1
Max 2,
AR 100
AR 110C
Fabrique Nationale
CAL
F2000
SCAR
PS90
FAL
LAR
FNC
308 Match
Century Arms MAS 223
HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, HK-PSG-1
RPB Industries Inc. sM10 and sM11
SWD Incorporated M11
SIG AMT
PE-57
SG 550
SG 551
Sterling MK-6
Steyer AUG
Valmet
M62S
M71S
M78S
Armalite AR-180
Calico M-900
J&R ENG M-68
Weaver Arms Nighthawk

PISTOLS:

UZI
Encom MP-9 and MP-45
RPB Industries Inc.
sM10
sM11
SWD Incorporated M11
Advance Armament Inc. M-11
Military Armament Corp. Ingram M-11
Intratec TEC-9
Sites Spectre
Sterling MK-7
Calico M-950
Bushmaster Pistol

SHOTGUNS:

Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12
Striker 12
The Streetsweeper type S/S Inc. SS/12
Saiga semi-automatic shotgun
HIGH STANDARD MODEL 10 SERIES B POLICE SHOTGUN 12GA
FN Herstal SLP MK1 TACT
Benelli M-2 Tactical
CHARLES DALY Tactical
Remington 81059 Versa Max Tactical
Remington Model 81404 Tactical
SRM Tactical Semi-Auto Shotgun
RAAC MKA1919 SEMI AUTO
Remington Model 1100 TACTICAL

All caps and such were in the original material at http://www.troopers.ny.gov/Firearms/NYS_SAFE_Act/ before it vanished. Bold is mine.

fullauto
January 19, 2013, 18:47
I dont believe the M1 Garand is included as it does Not have a detachable mag.That is the issue.You can no longer use a thumbhole stock either.But if you fix the mag into place(like a kalifornia version fal from DSA) it wont be an assault rifle.
The new law is a semi auto WITH A DETACHABLE MAG AND at least ONE other military characteristic.

Spktyr
January 19, 2013, 18:50
I dont believe the M1 Garand is included as it does Not have a detachable mag.That is the issue.You can no longer use a thumbhole stock either.But if you fix the mag into place(like a kalifornia version fal from DSA) it wont be an assault rifle.
The new law is a semi auto WITH A DETACHABLE MAG AND at least ONE other military characteristic.

The 8 round en-bloc clips are illegal, though, so you can't legally feed your Garand in NY. You now have a club. :P

fullauto
January 19, 2013, 18:57
If you own 10 rd mags or less you can still keep them.After Apr 15 a person cant load more then 7 rds in a mag.(I know-how dumb is that)For a Garand you need 8 to hold things together so I figure I can use a fired Blank cartridge.Of course if you load the Garand quickly one goes in the chamber and you only have 7 in the clip.

G3isMe
January 19, 2013, 19:04
Good God, this makes me want to vomit. I really am surprised how quickly NY legislatures acted to get this passed.

Is it legal to ship any magazines into New York? I am curious if they will allow 5 or 7 round mags to come in?

fullauto
January 19, 2013, 19:05
Also FYI, anyone that has a banned type rifle on order,IF you have a sales slip showing your purchase on the 15th or earlier the dealer can still transfer it to you! Just found this out this morning.Any dealer remaining inventory of anything with 10 rd or more mags and all rifles on the banned list that were not sold cannot be sold in the state now.That really screwed the dealers too.

fullauto
January 19, 2013, 19:13
Good God, this makes me want to vomit. I really am surprised how quickly NY legislatures acted to get this passed.

Is it legal to ship any magazines into New York? I am curious if they will allow 5 or 7 round mags to come in?

I hear ya.Gun owners are really PIZZED OFF.They rammed the law thru so fast that the senators had a 80 page bill and 20 mins to look at it before being forced to vote on it.High cap mags(over 10 rds are illegal and a person has 1 year to get rid of them.Sell out of state,destroy them or permenently modify to hold 10 rds or less.
The funny part is that unless amended LE cannot use over 7 rds in the mags either.The misfortunes of ramming bills thru quickly.

m1a_kichi
January 19, 2013, 19:20
Sorry to hear about the situation in NY. We as gun owners need to stay together no matter where we are in this Nation and coming from California I understand your frustrations.

From the definition of your assault weapons it sounds similar to California. Here, as long as the rifle is not listed as an AW we can have it in two ways. ONE is by attaching a magazine bullet button device thus removing the capability to release the magazine unless a tool is used. Here we attach a ten round mag and in the configuration mentioned we can have all the "evil" features we want on said rifle. SECOND, you can also run your rifle "featureless" by removing the pistol grip, FS, GL, and any other feature of which some people have and you can still use the standard capacity mags we have owned before the ban in 2000. In this last configuration we do not need to "fix" the mag in the rifle.

So with all that being said, would fixing a bullet button device on your rifle with a modified 7 round mag allow you to keep your rifle unregistered as an AW?

Kevyn
January 19, 2013, 19:23
They didn't include the Ruger Mini-14/30's?

Never mind, I see they mentioned Ruger by name.

fullauto
January 19, 2013, 19:35
They didn't include the Ruger Mini-14/30's?

Never mind, I see they mentioned Ruger by name.
If I read it correctly the Ruger 14/30 is not banned.
because they are semi auto with detachable mags,but No other banned features.(unless you have a newer Ruger SR556 or an original factory folder or such.)You can no longer use muzzle brakes or compensators if you have a detachable mag.A regular Mini 14/30 doesnt meet the plus 1 test.It would be no different then a Rem 7400,742 rifle.

Spktyr
January 19, 2013, 19:35
Sorry to hear about the situation in NY. We as gun owners need to stay together no matter where we are in this Nation and coming from California I understand your frustrations.

From the definition of your assault weapons it sounds similar to California. Here, as long as the rifle is not listed as an AW we can have it in two ways. ONE is by attaching a magazine bullet button device thus removing the capability to release the magazine unless a tool is used. Here we attach a ten round mag and in the configuration mentioned we can have all the "evil" features we want on said rifle. SECOND, you can also run your rifle "featureless" by removing the pistol grip, FS, GL, and any other feature of which some people have and you can still use the standard capacity mags we have owned before the ban in 2000. In this last configuration we do not need to "fix" the mag in the rifle.

So with all that being said, would fixing a bullet button device on your rifle with a modified 7 round mag allow you to keep your rifle unregistered as an AW?

His weapon is listed as an AW, so I don't think it matters what he does to it.

STG_58_guy
January 19, 2013, 19:38
How did they figure that loading no more than 7 rounds in the magazine would apply to anyone but a law abiding citizen with no ill intent? They are out of there minds! This law needs be repealed. :mad:

fullauto
January 19, 2013, 19:38

I believe that is the catch.Make the MAG NON detachable.

G3isMe
January 19, 2013, 19:39
That list is so exhaustive you know they have been sitting on this bill just waiting for right tragedy to happen and then ram it through. Do you guys think there is any recourse for having this overturned or is it a done deal and you are SOL? I just hope the rest of us don't put our guard down because Obama's proposals were not so onerous. I have a feeling that it was an intentional feint and we will get complacent and wake up one morning and the entire US will have a new law like this having been enacted.

phillyray
January 19, 2013, 19:45
That would be enough for me to move out of the state of New York.:mad:

fullauto
January 19, 2013, 19:51
From the state website.
If I modify my gun by removing all design characteristics that makes it an assault weapon, do I have to register it?

A: No. If you modify your gun so that it is not an assault weapon, you do not have to register it. The modification must be permanent however. This includes, for example, removing the bayonet lug by cutting or grinding, grinding off the threads on the barrel, removing the foregrip so that it cannot be readily reattached, or any change that cannot be reversed through reasonable means.

fullauto
January 19, 2013, 20:01
That list is so exhaustive you know they have been sitting on this bill just waiting for right tragedy to happen and then ram it through. Do you guys think there is any recourse for having this overturned or is it a done deal and you are SOL? I just hope the rest of us don't put our guard down because Obama's proposals were not so onerous. I have a feeling that it was an intentional feint and we will get complacent and wake up one morning and the entire US will have a new law like this having been enacted.

Agree with you.Cant waste a tragedy.The Libs like division from within.We gun owners are often a great threat.The gun owners that say they dont own a AR or FAL dont care as long as their Remington 742 doesnt get banned.This time around many thought they only wanted to BAN AR's but hey surprise-They included a whole bunch more.I am hoping parts of the new law are stricken down like the requirement to register as a part of Obamacare states that no agency can collect personal information on owners of Guns and ammunition.So this state law is in clear violation of Federal law.

one hand clapping
January 19, 2013, 20:05
By that time , comrade Barry might have his Chi-com and ruskie friends here to help out.
Might be a good idea to find a secondary rt out of NY in case they close the freeway to civi traffic--
We need to help our NY bretheren out guys, cause if we don't make a ruckas now ,it will be OUR turn tommorow.

Has anybody filed suit and demanded a STAY ??
How can they override the 2nd so blaintly??

What does "make no law" mean?
Gawd, my blood boiled reading that list.

EPC WN
January 19, 2013, 20:15
If where I lived passed a similar ban I would be seeking political asylum in another State. Good luck gentlemen, you are going to need it. This ex post facto bullshit needs to go through the judicial system.

wolfspotter1
January 19, 2013, 20:48
Relax and give it a while for things to calm down, you have a year to think about it. About 2000 people rallied against Cuomo in front of his mansion today.
There's always the option to not comply or forget you had to register.
Deputy was at our range today on duty and was telling folks that he had no intention of asking or knowing about our firearms. Believe it or not, we've had state troopers just stop in during a skeet shoot to simply watch...lol

AGG
January 19, 2013, 21:25
No Valmet M82/SPAS 15/USAS 12 listed--- woo hoo!!! :D

Tont

eagle54
January 19, 2013, 21:43

Tont

AGG

that list is incomplete ..as you read this posting , they are changing the passed legislation..YES.>>> they pass legislation then go back and rewrite it again ..real screw up on there part when they forgot to exclude law enforcement ..on the magazine ban.. but they are rewriting that to exclude leo's .. the list of banned weapons will be increased ..

all new york members please sign the following petitions

So join your fellow man/woman and come together to show support for our 2nd Amendment right and those public officials who are willing to defend it on our behalf.

http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/176444/gallery-ny-safe-opponents-rally-at-the-capitol/#9438-8

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Gun-advocates-protest-at-state-Capitol-4208000.php#photo-4056600

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
2). SIGN THE MARCHIONE PETITION IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY...

http://www.nysenate.gov/webform/stand-second-amendment-standing-new-york-state-senator-kathleen-marchione

3). SIGN THE LARKIN PETITION IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY:
http://www.nysenate.gov/webform/sign-senator-larkin-s-petition-repeal-and-replace-restrictive-new-gun-control-measures-will-

4). SIGN THE BONACIC PETITION IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY:
http://www.nysenate.gov/webform/sign-sen-bonacic-s-petition-oppose-restrictive-new-gun-control-measures

Falomine
January 19, 2013, 21:46
They were in such a rush to pass it overnight that they forgot to create a loophole for the police...who are currently held under the same 7-round limit (until they amend it of course).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nta9dxCNuWI

shooter56
January 19, 2013, 21:59
From what I have been reading they are adding to the list as they get more info.

Recon6812
January 19, 2013, 22:16
make them define pistol grip like we did in Cali. maybe a FAL monster man type grip could be made. I pinned my mag in and use a stripper clip top on my century FAL. keep fighting, all of us are with you.

E5c03
January 19, 2013, 22:21
About the M1 Garand,,if one got rid of the bayonet lug,,and had some 5 rd enblocs,,,just a thought.

Spktyr
January 19, 2013, 22:39

Tont

That's covered by this (http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S2230-2013):

(B) A SEMIAUTOMATIC SHOTGUN THAT HAS AT LEAST ONE OF THE FOLLOWING
CHARACTERISTICS:

(I) A FOLDING OR TELESCOPING STOCK;
(II) A THUMBHOLE STOCK;
(III) A SECOND HANDGRIP OR A PROTRUDING GRIP THAT CAN BE HELD BY THE
NON-TRIGGER HAND;
(IV) A FIXED MAGAZINE CAPACITY IN EXCESS OF SEVEN ROUNDS;
(V) AN ABILITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE;

So, if it's a semiauto shotgun and takes a mag, you're screwed.

Also, the USAS12's are classified as DD's by BATFE.

From what I have been reading they are adding to the list as they get more info.

This. The list I posted was noted (at the time) as being under revision and new weapons would be added.

riffraff2
January 20, 2013, 00:31

You might consider stocking up on the Winchester model 100's. They ain't an "assault rifle". They remind me of a Ruger 10/22 on steroids. A FAL they ain't but they fire a 'real' cartridge, ya know, a round that is good for deer and such at reasonable distances etc.

Around these parts the Winchester Model 100 in any kind of decent shape is very hard to come by. Meybe they are found more easily in other parts of the country. All the one's I run across are pretty sad overall and the prices asked for them are way to high. Ya I know, 'what the market will bear' and all that.

Abominog
January 20, 2013, 00:49
Refrain from comments like "ohh, looky, XYZ is not on the list" or "my ABC is stamped DEF so it's not an XYZ." All they need to do is mine that stuff from sites like this and add it. STFU.

Cuomo and his ilk know the mag and AWB won't hold muster under the current SCOTUS. But they have a plan.

Mags have to be discarded by April this year. There is insufficient time to get a court decision by then; Cuomo is banking that a lower court will not stay the ban by then. This will result in some 50% compliance with mags being either sold or sent out of state for safe keeping. The other 50% will be kept at home locked up never to see the light of day or be sold or traded.

AR15 sales alone have run 100,000+ nationally the last few years. Dealers won't be selling any this year. When this goes to court, then appellate, then finally to SCOTUS we're looking at a minimum four years before the ban is deemed illegal. With induced delays it might be eight years.

First, this means that some 10,000+ ARs each year will not be entering the NY ownership. In fact, AR and rifle ownership in NYS will drop. All told, probably looking at 60,000 fewer rifles than otherwise would enter NY in the next few years. NY FFLs will go out of business probably some 30% or more.

All of that suits Cuomo. But he's also banking that by the time it gets to SCOTUS there will be a new Democratic anti-gun politician on SCOTUS, and then they can rule NY's AWB to be legal. WIN.

And, if it gets to SCOTUS and the AWB is found largely illegal, so what? Ohhh, so NYS has to pay $2 million in legal fees. Big deal. NYC's 2013 budget is $23 BILLION. That's just NYC. A few million if the state loses is peanuts. AND there is no repercussion for politicians, individuals who back the ban, or anything. The cost is booted by tax payers. WIN.

So, even though Cuomo knows it's illegal, it's a win-win for him and his ilk. With no accountability for politicians, judges, and LEOs there is no reason NOT to do what they want.

Who suffered during Prohibition? Yeah, right, people like you and me, and that was all. Consumers were prosecuted as devils. Dealers were completely eliminated. Manufacturers were bankrupted with no compensation. People unemployed, professionals with no place for their skillsets, families with no income. For Elliott Ness and our other national "heros" it was pure profit. Sound familiar?

UpstateGlocker
January 20, 2013, 05:45
Cuomo is a thug with a long history of anti-2A strong-arm tactics. His dad was mobbed up with the Javits Center and other deals, which is why he never ran for President or went for Sup Ct -- he would never have survived the background check (in NY, by contrast, they seem to like a little corruption -- gives 'em street cred, sort of like Chicago). Now the son wants what daddy never had, national office. During the Clinton years he tried extorting gun makers (and was successful with S&W, which hurt them until they got rid of that lame CEO who went along). Now he wants to be President. The only good news about what he did in NY last week is that he's been outed once and for all as one of the most anti-2A politicians in the country.

UpstateGlocker
January 20, 2013, 05:50

■Private sales of assault weapons to someone other than an immediate family would be subject to a background check through a dealer.
■Internet sales of assault weapons would be banned, and failing to safely store a weapon could be subject to a misdemeanor charge.
■In another provision, a therapist who believes a mental health patient made a credible threat to use a gun illegally would be required to report it to a mental health director who would have to notify the state. A patient's gun could be taken from him or her.
■The legislation also increases sentences for gun crimes including the shooting of a first responder that Cuomo called the "Webster provision." Last month in the western New York town of Webster, two firefighters were killed after responding to a fire set by the shooter, who eventually killed himself.

The problems are a poll given to ten different people will result in 10 different opinions on what the new restrictions imply. I use the word imply as like the 1994 NYS AWB they are short on some specifics.

Bear in mind the Webster, NY shooting of 2 firefighters was by a wacko who had previously murdered his own grandmother by using a hammer to smash in her skull, and who got out of prison a few years later for good behavior under NY's liberal sentencing rules. He had no parole supervision. He had the Bushmaster illegally. So instead of blaming the Legislature for passing lenient sentencing standards, or the judge for giving him a light sentence, or the person who did a straw man purchase to get him the gun, of course Cuomo blamed the gun.

LaConservationist
January 20, 2013, 09:23
I love the fact that they are doing NOTHING more than BANNING APPEARANCES, more so than FUNCTION!!

I guess this is actually GOOD for the lawyers to help in repealing this erroneous BAN!
They are doing NOTHING more than admitting that they have failed in enforcing the current laws that are on record, making new laws are only a way to cover their asses!!
I sure do feel for our brothers locked down in the ANTI 2nd communist/dictator STATE!

It's really ashamed how much the media and others will stand behind and fight for the 1st, but could give a damn about the 2nd!!

Just my opinion BUT the guys (ALL OF YOU HERE, Your FRIENDS and FAMILIES) from NY and how they stand against this could very well have effect on how the rest of the other 49 states are effected by this....IF other states see how easy it is to circumvent the 2nd, they too may very well impose their own similar ban.......STAND up and KEEP FIGHTING GUYS!!

There has been 200+ years of blood shed that would ALL be in VAIN if we let them take our 2nd amendment and ANY PART of it!!

I am sick and tired of the talking about Deer Hunting and sportsman and personal self defense.....THIS is ONLY part of the issues, THIS IS NOT what the 2nd was based upon!
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Every elected official takes an oath upon swearing in......and part of that oath is to PROTECT the CONSTITUTION!
When they do something like they are doing now, they should be HANGED for TREASON!

OK RANT OFF!

LaC

fullauto
January 20, 2013, 09:54
LaC.
Like the way you think.
Every elected official takes an oath upon swearing in......and part of that oath is to PROTECT the CONSTITUTION!
When they do something like they are doing now, they should be HANGED for TREASON!
High tree limb,short Rope!

fullauto
January 20, 2013, 10:01
About the M1 Garand,,if one got rid of the bayonet lug,,and had some 5 rd enblocs,,,just a thought.
Dont need to touch a Garand.Its not an assault rifle.It does NOT have a detachable mag or a high cap clip.But you would be subject to only loading 7 rds in it after April 15 of this year unless at a NRA sponsored shoot.For hunting we can only use 5 rd enblock clips anyway.After April 15 use a dummy rd on the top of the enblock clip.You will just have to cycle the action twice.That way the enblock clip will still eject after the last rd fired.

riffraff2
January 20, 2013, 10:42
Refrain from comments like "ohh, looky, XYZ is not on the list" or "my ABC is stamped DEF so it's not an XYZ." All they need to do is mine that stuff from sites like this and add it. STFU.

Cuomo and his ilk know the mag and AWB won't hold muster under the current SCOTUS. But they have a plan.

Mags have to be discarded by April this year. There is insufficient time to get a court decision by then; Cuomo is banking that a lower court will not stay the ban by then. This will result in some 50% compliance with mags being either sold or sent out of state for safe keeping. The other 50% will be kept at home locked up never to see the light of day or be sold or traded.

AR15 sales alone have run 100,000+ nationally the last few years. Dealers won't be selling any this year. When this goes to court, then appellate, then finally to SCOTUS we're looking at a minimum four years before the ban is deemed illegal. With induced delays it might be eight years.

First, this means that some 10,000+ ARs each year will not be entering the NY ownership. In fact, AR and rifle ownership in NYS will drop. All told, probably looking at 60,000 fewer rifles than otherwise would enter NY in the next few years. NY FFLs will go out of business probably some 30% or more.

All of that suits Cuomo. But he's also banking that by the time it gets to SCOTUS there will be a new Democratic anti-gun politician on SCOTUS, and then they can rule NY's AWB to be legal. WIN.

And, if it gets to SCOTUS and the AWB is found largely illegal, so what? Ohhh, so NYS has to pay $2 million in legal fees. Big deal. NYC's 2013 budget is $23 BILLION. That's just NYC. A few million if the state loses is peanuts. AND there is no repercussion for politicians, individuals who back the ban, or anything. The cost is booted by tax payers. WIN.

So, even though Cuomo knows it's illegal, it's a win-win for him and his ilk. With no accountability for politicians, judges, and LEOs there is no reason NOT to do what they want.

Who suffered during Prohibition? Yeah, right, people like you and me, and that was all. Consumers were prosecuted as devils. Dealers were completely eliminated. Manufacturers were bankrupted with no compensation. People unemployed, professionals with no place for their skillsets, families with no income. For Elliott Ness and our other national "heros" it was pure profit. Sound familiar?

Doesn't Remington still make the 742? There is the BAR. Does Winchester have a current autoloader?

fullauto
January 20, 2013, 10:49
Doesn't Remington still make the 742? There is the BAR. Does Winchester have a current autoloader?
The new Rem is a 7400 and of course the BAR as you mentioned.Those are semi's with detachable mags but dont have any of the Banned features,so they are OK.

drmetzger
January 20, 2013, 10:54
Abominog is correct. Keep in mind that this is a public forum and anyone can read it. If it is not yet on the list, rest assured it will be. Their rush to impose this BS legislation is not the last word on it, it is written several times over on the State Police and State Government sites that there will be additions. This is one of the places they will get their ideas for what to add.

Sadly, he is probably correct about most of the other parts of his post as well. New York is now a sad place for gun owners.

But the rest of the nation should pay very close attention. VERY CLOSE ATTENTION! This will be pushed on you as well in 4 years when this character runs and probably wins the supreme leader position.

Get your votes into your local politicians NOW and get your voices heard NOW about getting a real opponent to Cuomo. It looks like New Jersey's Governor Christie is not on the right side of things here either, so be careful of some republicans. They are how we got here in the first place in New York. But Christie is also looking at the supreme leader position.

None of the country wants that! A race between these 2 would be catastrophic for everyone.

MK ULTRA
January 20, 2013, 11:12
I hear ya.Gun owners are really PIZZED OFF.They rammed the law thru so fast that the senators had a 80 page bill and 20 mins to look at it before being forced to vote on it.High cap mags(over 10 rds are illegal and a person has 1 year to get rid of them.Sell out of state,destroy them or permenently modify to hold 10 rds or less.
The funny part is that unless amended LE cannot use over 7 rds in the mags either.The misfortunes of ramming bills thru quickly.

Yeah you're pissed alright so pissed you're not doing a damn thing except saying "OH YESSA MASSSA I BE A GOOD SLAVE".

Those laws are illegal and they need to see the consequences.

Ironhandjohn
January 20, 2013, 11:15
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1kpwdhtDzsghZIIwTLrejg3IU4rVZx jfjpcFzIIuCkgpAMnCyjg

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR71TgKyhO5JJkqYNdIxuZAPilygfudn 6YVmsRg98px-OaZB8oRhQ

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSTCngLQ9qFvtoc4qhc2skAJzQPQyer 3UueCOuXAOOcVTHT7rvQg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStJi335GUpUSBm5VqrK6ohfy_sdxPaG UNXWfkAf7S-n5AQArYnzQ

You guys in NYS are lucky that Il Duce Cuomo lets you keep these. They're more afraid of a peasant uprising than anything else in your state, it seems.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRrrBX4HrwjRf5ZvbGE8D8c0WReGMDJ a0_k1HFR-paluWKFt3Gkg

Just ask this guy...

fullauto
January 20, 2013, 11:44
Yeah you're pissed alright so pissed you're not doing a damn thing except saying "OH YESSA MASSSA I BE A GOOD SLAVE".

Those laws are illegal and they need to see the consequences.
What do you have in mind.Armed uprising?

LaConservationist
January 20, 2013, 11:53
What do you have in mind.Armed uprising?

I believe the CORRECT "ARMED UPRISING" would be your right as a registered voter USE IT! And do NOT wait for elections, contact your senators, representatives,congressmen and women, LET them know how you feel, gather names have EVERYONE contact them and let them know you have enough 2nd amendment supports to vote their asses out and they are soon to be in the UNEMPLOYED percentage, also contact new papers and all forms of media, gun rights activist, start petitions gather ALL possible resources and USE THEM!!

LaC

shooter56
January 20, 2013, 12:20
"Armed Uprising" Using your "arm" to write a letter to your state legislators telling them to stop this attack on the 2nd Ammendment. So get your arms working and write, Writing on the board and just talking about this will not do anything. So Lets all do it.!

A million letters to the goverment may get them to maybe look at it.

fullauto
January 20, 2013, 12:39
A few State senators have petitions to repeal the Law.Also the NYS rifle and pistol assoc is working with NRA and legal teams on this issue and I'm sure there will be legal proceeding following.Were not letting this go without a fight.It doenst hurt to see what your options are on personal firearms.The law is only five days into it and more info is coming out all the time.There is much turmoil and confusion on the law/For instance this past weds the LGS got in a batch of AR15's that had been on order.They were ready to send them back to the supplier.Just yesterday they found out if the rifle was ordered for a person and the bill of sale was dated the 15th or earlier the sale can proceed.Only unsold inventory has to be sent back.

drmetzger
January 20, 2013, 15:06
I have to apologize I didn't mention this earlier, LaC, you made great points a few posts up as well. Yes, we need to stand up and tell everyone that will listen. Write to every politician you can find. Even if they don't represent your district, write to them. If the only people that are heard are for these new laws then it could sound like the people want them. If we have a LOUD voice that speaks truth and intelligence and fact and we say it loud and often, then we will not be considered the minority.

Legal action is being taken.

There are several things happening right now to help us, unfortunately, things take time. If WE can hold out long enough and a solution looks like it will take, honestly it would be by far better for this to take about 3 years. Just in time to crush Cuomo's dreams of being supreme leader. I can wait if it means a positive outcome and he will be chased out of town because he used his thirst for power over common sense. If this law or at least the most cumbersome parts of it are thrown out right before he wants to run, he can go the way of his father and disappear into obscurity.

Cuomo and Feinstein can buy a condo in Boca together and live out their socialist dreams together.

LaConservationist
January 20, 2013, 15:16
I have to apologize, LaC, you did have great points a few posts up as well. Yes, we need to stand up and tell everyone that will listen. Write to every politician you can find. Even if they don't represent your district, write to them. If the only people that are heard are for these new laws then it could sound like the people want them. If we have a LOUD voice that speaks truth and intelligence and fact and we say it loud and often, then we will not be considered the minority.

Legal action is being taken.

There are several things happening right now to help us, unfortunately, things take time. If WE can hold out long enough and a solution looks like it will take, honestly it would be by far better for this to take about 3 years. Just in time to crush Cuomo's dreams of being supreme leader. I can wait if it means a positive outcome and he will be chased out of town because he used his thirst for power over common sense. If this law or at least the most cumbersome parts of it are thrown out right before he wants to run, he can go the way of his father and disappear into obscurity.

Cuomo and Feinstein can buy a condo in Boca together and live out their socialist dreams together.

NO apology needed my friend.....IT is just time we all banned together BEFORE we are all in the same boat as our NEW YORK BROTHERS!

NEVER think IT WILL NOT HAPPEN IN " you fill in the black" Once it happens in one state the rest will pile on and before WE know it.....it has turned into a snowball.......AVALANCHE effect!!

I send frequent letters to my Governor, Reps and Senators...Jody Amedee (R-LA), John Berthelot (R-LA), Jay Dardenne (R-LA), Bobby Jindal (R-LA), James Caldwell (R-LA), Rep. Bill Cassidy (R-LA), President Barack Obama, Vice President Joseph Biden, Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-LA), Sen. David Vitter (R-LA).

Yeah I get BS form letters back BUT at least I do get something back!!

LaC

ALL FAL
January 20, 2013, 15:29
New York State is tough on Guns because they have Rich Bankers who do not want you to come GET them, Get RID of the bastards and take your state back to the citizens of NYS. QUIT accepting their BS, RESIST with all you have.

Or accept it and let them have their way which is what NY folks have tried to do do be "good" citizens. F.U.C.K. THAT!!!!

Moving away from the state is Not the way to have your gun rights.

G3isMe
January 20, 2013, 15:43
...Moving away from the state is Not the way to have your gun rights.

+1 for that. I get a kick out of how some folks write, "move to a gun friendly state." I would like them to tell me how someone for example; that is 50 years old, has a wife, 2 kids and a dog, paying on a house they are upside down on because the housing market went to shit, has a good job; can just quit his job and move. That is not the answer. The guys that write that must live in their mom's basement. I just wonder how many of those guys that told the California residents to do that currently reside in New York. Moving is not the answer. Changing the law from within is the only way that we will succeed in keeping our God Given Rights which were articulated in the Bill of Rights!

sherbs
January 20, 2013, 15:45
The new Rem is a 7400 and of course the BAR as you mentioned.Those are semi's with detachable mags but dont have any of the Banned features,so they are OK.

Not in all cases, if the Browning has the Boss Barrel it's an assault gun!

Illurian00
January 20, 2013, 16:17
By, one hand clapping:

[QUOTE]By that time , comrade Barry might have his Chi-com and ruskie friends here to help out.
Might be a good idea to find a secondary rt out of NY in case they close the freeway to civi traffic--
We need to help our NY bretheren out guys, cause if we don't make a ruckas now ,it will be OUR turn tommorow.

Has anybody filed suit and demanded a STAY ??
How can they override the 2nd so blaintly??

What does "make no law" mean?
Gawd, my blood boiled reading that list.

http://impeachandrewcuomo.com/

and,

Class Action Suit Against N.Y. Gun Law

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buffalo based Attorney Jim Tresmond is filing a Pro Bono class action against the new gun law. If you are interested in joining this suit, you need to send him your e-mail address, full name and phone number to him at < psacco1@twcny.rr.com>. Please spread the word on this as much as possible. The more of us the better for all of us. So far about 8000 names in the first twenty four hours or so. I encourage you to please research this before signing up.

Have I mentioned lately my deep admiration for member, 'one hand clapping' ?

fullauto
January 20, 2013, 16:18
Not in all cases, if the Browning has the Boss Barrel it's an assault gun!
Did you notice that.They showed a Browning BAR with a Boss on it under the "not an assault weapon" section.How screwed up is that!

def90
January 20, 2013, 17:01
on the list of guns.. "308 Match".. what's that? :rolleyes:

Spktyr
January 20, 2013, 17:05
on the list of guns.. "308 Match".. what's that? :rolleyes:

This: http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336925

shooter56
January 20, 2013, 17:12
http://nysecond.org/

here is the class action lawsuit

riffraff2
January 20, 2013, 20:28
Abominog is correct. Keep in mind that this is a public forum and anyone can read it. If it is not yet on the list, rest assured it will be. Their rush to impose this BS legislation is not the last word on it, it is written several times over on the State Police and State Government sites that there will be additions. This is one of the places they will get their ideas for what to add.

Sadly, he is probably correct about most of the other parts of his post as well. New York is now a sad place for gun owners.

But the rest of the nation should pay very close attention. VERY CLOSE ATTENTION! This will be pushed on you as well in 4 years when this character runs and probably wins the supreme leader position.

Get your votes into your local politicians NOW and get your voices heard NOW about getting a real opponent to Cuomo. It looks like New Jersey's Governor Christie is not on the right side of things here either, so be careful of some republicans. They are how we got here in the first place in New York. But Christie is also looking at the supreme leader position.

None of the country wants that! A race between these 2 would be catastrophic for everyone.

I understand where you and others are comming from BUT, keeping quiet on forums such as this because the ENEMY could use it for DATA MINING is about the most rediculous thing I can think of.

Dirtfarmer
January 20, 2013, 21:03
it is worth noting that there is a provision for retaining "Antique magazines" noted as being 50 yrs old.
...That means that the NOS Belgian cartons dated '63 will be legal in their time, and the '64s after that.
(..Of course, there is still registration of the concerned rifle.) :(
Goodwill,
-Dirtfarmer
(admittedly, I am thinking of someone, not myself, here. )

drmetzger
January 20, 2013, 21:18
There are very strange things happening. Sites popping up and coming down etc. There are several organizations fighting this law.

But as far as NY configuration, if your firearm is mentioned on one of he "lists" then it is banned. Now, all that banned means is they will take it from you later rather than now. And you are required to register it so that they know where you live. And you cannot sell it in this state, but if you sell it at all it MUST go through a FFL. So when they knock on your door at 3am and demand to see "X" you MUST have it or you are in an as of yet unspecified amount of shit.

drmetzger
January 20, 2013, 21:21
I understand where you and others are comming from BUT, keeping quiet on forums such as this because the ENEMY could use it for DATA MINING is about the most rediculous thing I can think of.

I just mean, saying my "X" wasn't mentioned so it must be legal is a bad idea. Even just for the sake of counting chickens before thery hatch.

muttman
January 20, 2013, 22:49
Not that I'm the smart one, but with the 10 rnd limet law and having a thing called a grandfather that is used in the appeals system work? Just asking.
Muttman

fullauto
January 21, 2013, 06:09
Since its stated on the website about removing the "military characteristics" to make it a "non assault rifle" which is admittedly hard on a FAL,you are left with making a Kalifornia model like DSA has."Non detachable mag" holding 10 rds or less unless after April 15th where it can only hold 7.Might as well make it 5 and use it to hunt with.Rifles that have been modified to "non assault rifles" dont need to be registered.I already have a fix,but will not share at this point.I would suggest if you have other types like AR's to pull the stocks off the lower receiver and store them at a out of state friends house or safe deposit box or sell them if you dont want to register them.I suppose you could also fix the mag permanently into the lower.These are ideas to prep in case there is no hold put on provisions of the law.A person doesn't have to register until Apr 15 2014 so one has time to reason what to do in your own situation.

Incognito
January 21, 2013, 11:07
"Armed Uprising" Using your "arm" to write a letter to your state legislators telling them to stop this attack on the 2nd Ammendment. So get your arms working and write, Writing on the board and just talking about this will not do anything. So Lets all do it.!

A million letters to the goverment may get them to maybe look at it.

Exactly! I contacted my reps in the local state house and sent them a PDF of the Wyoming law that effectively nullifies any federal laws that infringe on the right to bear arms. It actually directs the Wyoming attorney general to defend Wyoming residents against federal prosecution and calls for the arrest of federal agents seeking to enforce federal laws that prohibit "assault rifles" or high cap mags in the state of Wyoming and charge them with a felony punishable for 1-5 years in prison. The way I understand it, this is already law in Wyoming but they are seeking to strengthen it this year.

My representatives responded and said they are directing people to write the legislation and will introduce it into the Kansas legislature this session. I suggest everyone do the same thing with your local representative to your state house. My letter politely demanded that my representatives uphold their oath to defend my consitutional rights including the right to bear arms.

If anyone tells you this is too extreme or impractical, point to Wisconsin's law back in the 1800's that nullified the Federal fugitive slave act. Basically at the federal level the law required northern states to return escaped slaves but Wisconsin's law made that Federal law illegal in Wisconsin. Who was right in that argument? Also you can point to more recent state nullification laws such as Colorado and Washington legalizing MJ. That is one that we all need to get behind by the way. I've never experienced any drugs but supporting their libertarian rights in those states make a strong precedent for 2nd Amendment fights that are going on right now

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2013/Introduced/HB0104.pdf

eagle54
January 21, 2013, 13:46
watch these videos .. there on You tube

Hitler finds out he is being compared to Cuomo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3LeQaTpMrQ&feature=player_embedded

Whats Andrew Cuomo really Afraid Of?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NinyjEtQmI&feature=player_embedded

fullauto
January 21, 2013, 19:08
FYI.Gives you something to think about.These were REMOVED from the Bill just before passing.Perhaps a little too aggressive?

1.Confiscation of "assault weapons"
2.Confiscation of ten round magazines
3.Statewide database for all guns
4.Continue to allow pistol permit holder's information to be replaced to the public
5.Label semiautomatic shotguns with more than 5 rounds or pistol grips as "assault weapons”
6.Limit the number of rounds in a magazine to 5 and confiscation and forfeiture of banned magazines
7.Limit possession to no more than two (2) magazines
8.Limit purchase of guns to one gun per person per month
9.Require re-licensing of all pistol permit owners
10.Require renewal of all pistol permits every five years
11.State issued pistol permits
12.Microstamping of all guns in New York State
13.Require licensing of all gun ammo dealers
14.Mandatory locking of guns at home
15.Fee for licensing, registering weapons
This list was asked not to be shown as it "Could have the capacity to dampen the enthusiasm for compromise".

shooter56
January 21, 2013, 21:08
All behind closed doors.......hmm:fal:

SteelonSteel
January 22, 2013, 11:32
OK, perhaps I'm confused.

The NYSP are posting a list based on someone there interpreting the evil features on a firearm and adding them to their list. The features are in the law but as far as I've read the gun names are not. So if you have gun name X on the list but it lacks the features how can it still be banned?

Am I missing the section where the state police adding a name to the list is equivalent to the "bad features"?

As far as i've read on the pulled down NYSP site and the governor's site there is a lot of errors. Hell they had a tactical type remington 870 listed by it's catalog model number. No pump tube fed shotguns were affected by the law.

prophead
January 22, 2013, 11:40
LaConservationist, Thanks for your support, we need everyone on our side.

The craziness is here and people are losing their right to keep and bear as we speak.

Also the list means nothing, the governors FAQ means nothing. The law is the law and both of these sources are providing lip service.

jugrunner
January 22, 2013, 11:55
That would be enough for me to move out of the state of New York.:mad:

how in the hell would you sell your house ... ? ... OH ...

... I remember ... the tax rate is about 55/60% IIRC ... you do have the left wing "do gooders" and Queers, nitpickers, grape pickers and dick lickers ... That's not right ... that's California ... :confused: ... they have the $$$ ... "for the good of all"

can't have more than one 16 oz drink ... that's not right either ... I'm confused again ... you can buy 2 16 oz. drinks ... good stuff !! ... smart Yankees they are ... :bow:

wtf ...

drmetzger
January 24, 2013, 14:40
We're almost like California without all of that pesky beautiful weather.

CookieMonsta
January 24, 2013, 15:58
Personally, I would not comply with the new laws. If I got in trouble, I would challenge it all the way up to the supreme court. They cannot override the 2nd amendment like they are attempting to, legally...

Just another example of this country going down the drains, IMO.

drmetzger
January 24, 2013, 19:32
While I will not comment personally, that has been considered by some.