PDA

View Full Version : I guess I am responsible for the .22 L.R. ammo shortage

Timber Wolf
January 17, 2013, 09:15
I bought all the .22 L.R. ammo. I did not mean to, I thought there was a lot of it out there.:( I am not letting any of it go either.:uhoh: By way of an excuse, I actually started hoarding BEFORE any of the current SHTF.:angel: I recently started my daughter shooting .22 pistols. She has been shooting her little rifle for several years but with adding pistols “our” .22 ammo consumption has gone up considerably. That; and I recently attended an Outlaw .22 pistol/carbine match and really liked the format. There was also some idle talk among my shooting cronies about starting up a Tactical .22 match at our local club. So, back in November after the Outlaw match the guy I rode with mentioned that Cabelas had Federal Bulk Pack .22 for $84.95/2100 (four 525 round boxes) in a free “drybox”. They also had free shipping for orders over $99. He further mentioned that he ordered two sets (4200 rounds) to qualify for the free shipping. Hearing me an idea that sounded good, I did the same. It came and I liked the deal so the next week (early December) I looked on their site and they still had the ammo/drybox deal but instead of free shipping they had $20 off orders over $159. Since the shipping was only $16 and change, this was an even better deal than before so I ordered another two sets (4200 rounds). Although I did not intend to hoard I am feeling a little guilty because I have had people ask me directly and post questions on our local gun board asking about the availability of .22 ammo. I would love to help them out but I have myself and my own to take care of. It is not like the Zombies are knocking at the door and my neighbor needs a few rounds to watch my back or to pot a squirrel or anything. These are just people wanting plinking ammo. Sorry, I have just enough for my own consumption. And I don’t have any AR or Glock mags, or .223 ammo to spare either.:wink:

catmguy445
January 17, 2013, 12:49
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, Timber Wolf. When I first got my FFL, there was a wholesaler somewhere that had a great price on CCI Mini-Mag, so I bought 8 cases of it. I still have two of them left, plus several bricks of other brands of .22LR, plus the ammo for my match rifle. All in all, probably somewhere around 15K rounds of .22 ammo that I have in case of "whatever".

And speaking of matches and such, what's an Outlaw match? That sounds interesting, and my gun club doesn't do those at the moment, so maybe I could talk them into it. What are the requirements/rules for an Outlaw match, and what are the different stages or relays? What kind of guns are used? What distances are the targets set up at? What kind of targets? How many rounds are used? What kind of sights are allowed or required?

Your daughter sounds like she's becoming an awesome shooter. Keep up the good work.:biggrin:

Timber Wolf
January 17, 2013, 15:43
And speaking of matches and such, what's an Outlaw match? That sounds interesting, and my gun club doesn't do those at the moment, so maybe I could talk them into it. What are the requirements/rules for an Outlaw match, and what are the different stages or relays? What kind of guns are used? What distances are the targets set up at? What kind of targets? How many rounds are used? What kind of sights are allowed or required?

It was basically a Steel Challenge match, shot on the same targets and courses of fire (stages) but was shot with .22 pistols & carbines. There was no restriction on magazine capacity. Everybody started from the “low ready” which means firearm pointed at an orange cone out in front of the shooting box in front of the targets. At the buzzer, you engage the four targets and then the stop plate as fast as you can. You do this 5 times on each stage and your score is your lowest four times totaled for the stage. There were six stages altogether. The person in each division with the lowest total time for all six stages wins. You not only have to be fast, but very, very consistent. One or two bad runs can knock you out of the running.

There were four divisions; iron sight & optic each in pistol & carbine. There were a lot of people shooting irons on pistols but I was one of only 3 shooting irons on a carbine. At the pistol-length stages we were shooting I really don’t see how an optic would have helped my carbine speed. With a good solid shoulder mount of the gun and cheek down on the stock I just pointed the carbine at the target and bang. They allowed a person to shoot a second gun for another $5 or $10 so we shot both pistol and carbine. You step up to stage, shot one first 5 times then the other. Went pretty quick and a good time was had by all. Some hi-speed, low-drag types as well as a lot of women and a few kids all were having a good, clean time.

Lot of Ruger MKII, MKIII, & 22/45s in pistol (I had my Kimber 1911 conversion) and Ruger 10/22s of various modification levels and the occasional AR type .22 LR rifle. I think the trigger is what keeps the ARs from not being more competitive. You can get a nicer trigger easier and cheaper in a 10/22. At 5 shots (if you don’t miss) each of five times on six stages times two guns you burn 300+ rounds, not exactly going to break the bank on ammo cost. You either need 5 magazines or enough big mags to shoot the stage without reloading. I had heard they even allow Cowboy style shooters with single actions but did not see any when I was there.

Once a club has the steel they can run a match like this for basically no cost and offer a very family friendly event. The Tactical .22 event I have heard discussed is something similar to carbine in 3-Gun but with .22s. Just something fun and to give the 3-Gun guys something to do between matches. The club that does the Outlaw match has a run-n-gun carbine match 4 times a year and they allow .22 rifles in their own division. I think the way things are going we will start to see more .22 matches of various flavors across the country.

richbug
January 18, 2013, 16:58
I think the trigger is what keeps the ARs from not being more competitive. You can get a nicer trigger easier and cheaper in a 10/22.

I see the exact opposite in our Action matches(USPSA type stuff). Lots of folks try the 10/22, the only carbines that keep coming back again and again are the AR types.

Lots of great triggers out there for the AR, Jard, JP... Toss a good conversion kit in and away you go. I run a 1.5# Jard in my runnin gun.

Your outlaw sounds like it would be fun. Steel is a great way to get better, not having to reset it is all that much better.

Timber Wolf
January 18, 2013, 17:18
I see the exact opposite in our Action matches(USPSA type stuff). Lots of folks try the 10/22, the only carbines that keep coming back again and again are the AR types.

Lots of great triggers out there for the AR, Jard, JP... Toss a good conversion kit in and away you go. I run a 1.5# Jard in my runnin gun.

I don't doubt you have a fine trigger, but what did it cost? Is it reliable in a .22 LR AR?

I also wanted to add to the thread that I just saw that a local clip-joint gun store has the exact same Federal I bought in bulk marked at $44.95/525.:rolleyes:

richbug
January 18, 2013, 17:50
I don't doubt you have a fine trigger, but what did it cost? Is it reliable in a .22 LR AR?

Absolutely reliable.

The Jard was $75, I'd bet they are pushing $150 now

The JP is a little over $100 last I looked

I could accomplish a nearly as good of trigger with a some silver solder, a a couple small nuts and set screws...

What does a Volquartsen for a 10/22 run???

geno929
January 19, 2013, 08:20
"Damn it Man! No .22 shorts to defend the homestead with!" "What we gonna do, pa?".

Fn/form
January 27, 2013, 16:48
Any time I see CCI Mini-Mags go to 5.99/100 or less I snap 'em up. Hands down the most reliable .22LR in any of my rimfire guns and uppers.

jim23460
February 11, 2013, 22:19
For years when the wife and I would go shop I would pick up a brick of 500 .22 shells, but not get to shoot them. Now that the kids are older and starting to shoot with me I notice the shelf with .22 ammo was getting low. I did an inventory and we are down to to 16,000 rounds. I just can't bring my self to spend $40 on a brick of .22 I use to get for $10. I told my 13 yo son to limit his round count to 500 rds for each time we go out. If I did not limit him we would be out of .22 in less then 6 months. I have been stocking up on .22 cb caps so we can shoot in the back yard and not make the wife mad with 2 hours of constant plinking. If you can find any 500 round bricks for$25 or less you should pick up as many as you can.

Jaxxas
February 11, 2013, 23:32
I probably bought 10K in the last year. When the granddaughter comes to visit she goes through 500 rounds a day, 3-4 days a week. She usually stays a month every summer.

parallaxbill
February 12, 2013, 17:41
I'm glad I stocked up (20k) on Olin white box 22 ammo from the CMP years ago for less than a penny per round.

Skilter
February 12, 2013, 19:20
Should I be glad I sold my AM 180 a couple years ago??? :shades:

February 21, 2013, 17:39
Not stored ,But shot over 1 million rds of 22 lr since 94...
Most out of 1 rifle,and that trigger is so smoth ,so light now it is unreal..
Should take and have it, trigger pull wieghed,or whatever..

And have a few thousand put up too...

I remember buying 10 ,550 rd bx at a time at about 5.95 a bx..

motosapien
February 24, 2013, 06:21
I've been making impulse buys of .22 ammo for years. My local hardware store always (not any more ) had bricks of it and when I just needed a couple screws and only had plastic on me to pay I would grab a brick to make the sale worth it for them. They joke about buying some back from me now.

Launching projectiles has always been a pleasing activity for me. I'm on the verge of getting a .22 pellet rifle. Fixed barrel in Co2 or pre charged.

MK ULTRA
February 24, 2013, 08:32
I'm glad I stocked up (20k) on Olin white box 22 ammo from the CMP years ago for less than a penny per round.

Yeah you were the smart one I've bought lots of 30 06 ammo from CMP and always meant to buy some .22 from them. I just never did. I did however stock up on several bricks many years ago.

These people paying these high prices amaze me.

SAM1965
March 01, 2013, 20:19
No comment!:sad::cry:..........:beer::bow:

Hebrew Battle Rifle
March 03, 2013, 22:25
I am not what I would call "stocked up." But, I have enough to keep me shooting for a while. If things don't improve by summers end I will be out of the 22 business.

Tuhlmann
March 14, 2013, 20:16
Only 4200 rounds? I call that "Tuesday morning". :shades:

jmwilson
March 17, 2013, 07:15
I have been watching gunbroker. A 5000 round case is going for between 800 an 1500 dollars. It is like a piranha feeding frenzy.

Mike

Bawana jim
March 18, 2013, 14:45
Was at the Portland gunshow over the weekend and 22lr was going $85 a brick.

JAB75
April 10, 2013, 11:25
I have a few 5 gallon buckets filled with .22lr...was thinking about taking one or two down to the local import dealer and trading for a new exotic ride. Bullets for cars anyone?

-JAB75

parallaxbill
April 10, 2013, 15:49
How about a 2 door Yugo in trade? Is that exotic enough for ya?:D:D

G3isMe
April 16, 2013, 18:03
I am one of idgits that only has about 500 rds of .22 on hand. I will not pay over $20 for a brick. I too am amazed at people paying that much $80+, pur silliness in my mind. While I don't have any .22 I find comfort in the fact I can beat back the zombie hoards with 7.62. I bought a lot of the Aussie on stripper clips when that came in several years ago. Someone in Houston organized a group buy back then and I jumped on it. But still I wish I had the foresight to buy some .22 as I have a new STG-44 look-a-like and I haven't even shot it yet....:cry:.:cry:..:cry:...:cry:......:cry:

JAB75
April 19, 2013, 16:38
I am one of idgits that only has about 500 rds of .22 on hand. I will not pay over $20 for a brick. I too am amazed at people paying that much $80+, pur silliness in my mind. While I don't have any .22 I find comfort in the fact I can beat back the zombie hoards with 7.62. I bought a lot of the Aussie on stripper clips when that came in several years ago. Someone in Houston organized a group buy back then and I jumped on it. But still I wish I had the foresight to buy some .22 as I have a new STG-44 look-a-like and I haven't even shot it yet....:cry:.:cry:..:cry:...:cry:......:cry:

I'm in the other boat...I am waiting on the delivery of my STG 44 .22lr with buckets of ammo!

CRShooter32
April 21, 2013, 08:55
Was at cabelas yesterday picking up some BP stuff, place was dead, no big crowds at the gun counter, no big crowds pushing trough the ammo aisles, compared to a month ago. They had just gotten in a large shipment of .22lr, CCI minimags, and the bulk packs of the 40gr tactical stuff for the military styled .22 rifles, but still had the buying restriction of 2 50 round boxes, or 1 box of 100, $8.00/box, or 1 bulk pack $27/pack. They had ammo cans of federal, $99/2100 rounds, or 4 of the 525 round packs in a can. I got my kiddo a bulk pack for his GSG5, he was not happy that his shooting time would be restricted due to ammo shortages. The $28 was worth his being able to get his favorite toy out for a few hours this summer.

Bubacus
May 04, 2013, 08:27
Actually, I think the problem of the shortage starts here....Damn impressive though:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7h0s_62jXuk?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>