PDA

View Full Version : So you want to be good with a pistol...

gates
January 14, 2013, 00:22
we all do - but I have stumbled across the way to do it - buy a Ruger LCR in .22- HEAVY HEAVY but smooth trigger - on a one inch + BBl... FORCES you to watch the front sight! GREAT training tool! - I was 100X with my Kahr PM9 (at 21) after 100 rds through the LCR - you HAVE to ignore EVERYTHING but the front sight.

Hootsmon
January 14, 2013, 13:01
Yea, I'd have to agree with that.

I thought I could shoot a pistol reasonably well, using other peoples shooting irons at the range.

Then I bought my first pistol, an early post-war FN Hi-power. Horrible trigger, sights are a tiny little thin blade and fixed V.
Lordy!! I had to learn how to shoot! With a good quality wheelgun, I could land all my shots in the black area of the 25 meter bullseye target -10 or 12 inches across. With the Hi-power, I could only land 50% in the same area. I had to learn trigger control, follow-through, and I had to really concentrate on those decrepit old combat sights.

I taught my wife how to shoot the old Hi-power and how important trigger control was. The next week, she qualified Expert with the M9.

wolfspotter1
January 14, 2013, 20:34
My younger brother got his NY permit and had me try his Kahr PM9. I shot a 2" group at 15yds with the little thing, really like it!

gates
January 14, 2013, 22:42
Yeah they are nice, with N/S they get pretty spendy but they are GREAT pistols.

catmguy445
January 15, 2013, 12:27
You want to get to be a good shot with a pistol? Here's how:

Learn the five basic marksmanship fundamentals, which are;

1. Sight alignment

2. Trigger control

3. Breathing

4. Stance/hold/grip

5. Follow-through

If you can apply these, I guarantee that you'll be able to shoot ANY handgun accurately. Doesn't make any difference it it's an auto or a wheelgun, or what caliber it is. Once you've got the fundamentals down pat, you can hit a target where you want to with anything you're shooting.

Timber Wolf
January 15, 2013, 14:33
Put 8 rounds or how ever many it holds, through a loaner .22 LCR at the range a few weeks back. I liked the little thing, and shot it well too. I don't think I will run out and buy one but I liked it. The fellow that owned it had it as an understudy to his .38 LCR, which I also shot but did not like as well.

gates
January 16, 2013, 23:27
It shines when you put 100 rounds through it and then pick up a PM9 - trust me.
You WILL be a better shooter!.