PDA

View Full Version : 1887 Win (Replica)

Cybercop
January 10, 2013, 13:05
I was in the local fun store today and they just happened to have on of these on the back wall. Well I love lever guns so I took a chance on it, and I'm glad I did. After a bit of tuning it runs as smooth as some of my pump guns, now if I can just find some aftermarket stocks, those chicom jobs with there spray on finish just don't make it. Now I have to find a '97 to go with it! Anyone know of a shop where stocks can be had at something approaching reasonable prices?

Jim

garyd1961
January 10, 2013, 20:47
Can you refinish the one on it.

Cybercop
January 10, 2013, 21:40
Can you refinish the one on it.

I thought of that but it's not exactly a hard wood, more like a cousin to Balsa. And it a really light color with very open grain. I might just head up to the wood workers store and grab a piece or two and make my own, but I'd rather not have too. That's a lot of work for a cheap import shotgun, but I have other ideas if I have to make something. I've been admiring those mares legs and this ought to be a hoot to convert and shoot like that.

Jim

Rayman
January 12, 2013, 10:52
once you replace the stocks maybe strip the stock and try one of the Urethane varnishes with the stock in a vacuum sealer bag. That should make it soak deep in the pores and harden the "balsa wood"

bykerhd
January 12, 2013, 18:08
Cool gun !
David Fortier, who use to post here occasionally, did an interesting review recently in Shotgun News.

There are companies that will duplicate stocks.
Definitely NOT cheap.

I found this company by searching. I have NOT done any business with them.
Whether a stock made for a REAL 1887 would fit yours ?
I guess you would have to ask.
http://www.shop.macongunstocks.com/Winchester-Model-1887-Winchester-1887_c82.htm

K. Funk
January 12, 2013, 22:07
I recently got one of the PW 87's. Cosmetically, I am very happy with it. I will be giving it a workout at the M/D Frozen Nutz shoot in 2 weeks. I will report back on how it did.

krf

Cybercop
January 13, 2013, 12:58
I recently got one of the PW 87's. Cosmetically, I am very happy with it. I will be giving it a workout at the M/D Frozen Nutz shoot in 2 weeks. I will report back on how it did.

krf

Did yours come with the optional two pounds of congealed cosmoline and metal chip's?! If you need a tuning guide Coyote Cap has a really nice write up on how to make some much needed improvments, and they work. Just adjusting the trigger spring gives you an amazing result. Just using cheap game loads is a blast, I think I'm just going to make a set of mares leg stocks and be done with it. This thing is too much fun.

Jim