PDA

View Full Version : .22 Pump suggestions

Bubacus
January 03, 2013, 16:10
I have always wanted a .22 pump, but always had FALs, AKs, etc get in the way. I'd like to pick one up that shoots a variety of ammo (shorts, longs, long rifle). I had a friend with an old Winchester pump and we had a hoot shooting through hundreds of Colibri ammo in his back yard. Any suggestions on models, older production vs newer production?

Thanks

K. Funk
January 03, 2013, 21:00
I have a Taurus 62 which is a hoot to shoot. It has been very reliable and very accurate. They make several versions. The one I have is blued and very compact, 18-1/2" barrel. I had gotten a new Henry for a customer. Within 1 week the forearm came off.

krf

ALL FAL
January 03, 2013, 21:39
I really like the quality and accuracy of the OLD model 12 Remington pump with the Octagon Long barrel, rabbits out to 150yds open sights and good eyes, headshots only. :wink:

In 1976 I BOUGHT AN FIELDMASTER REM. PUMP, NOT even close to the old version, the rifle wore out in no time, front sight getting loose, soft metal for the ejection and feed, sucky.

ramiller
January 04, 2013, 06:50
If possible to purchase I would recommend a Remington model 121, one of the best pump .22 I have ever used.

gunplumber
January 04, 2013, 11:20
Curious why a pump over a lever. I find the lever faster.

catmguy445
January 04, 2013, 12:07
If possible to purchase I would recommend a Remington model 121, one of the best pump .22 I have ever used.

Ditto. I'd recommend either a Remington Model 12 or 121, which is a slightly updated version of the Model 12. I'd also recommend a Winchester Model 61, if you can find one that costs less than a King's ransom. The Winchester 62's and the Rossi clones of them are also good little rifles, but you can't mount a scope on them. However, I don't know how important having a scope on your rifle is to you, so that may or may not be a big deal.

1gewehr
January 04, 2013, 12:09
I also like my old Remington 121. I find the pump .22 faster than a lever-action. The throw is so short that a simple flick of the wrist has you ready to fire again.

The Remington 572 is also well-like by those who have one. It's still in production, but used ones can be had at a reasonable price.

The Taurus/Rossi model 62 is a copy of the old Winchester 62. I have a Rossi, and it needed a bit of polishing to operate as smoothly as I like.

I like manually-operated .22s as I can use .22 shorts to thin out the squirrel population without annoying anyone or resorting to a suppressor.

starbuck
January 04, 2013, 18:21
I used to shoot a modern gallery gun when I was a kid. It was a blast. I don't remember the model, I think it was a tube fed Remington pump.

Rayman
January 04, 2013, 20:56
A guy on WAGUNS has an early Rossi for sale. The early ones have the split feed that allows use of short, long and longrifle. Mine works well with Colibri in the backyard. IMHO The pump is generally faster as you can keep the trigger down and just keep pumping.

skeeterbay
January 04, 2013, 23:43
I used a Winchester model 1890 in 22 WRF for years. Great little guns if you can find one at a reasonable price. They made them in regular 22 rimfire cal also. The only issue with them is the factory rear sight is very fine. That worked very well for me back when my eyes were good. Now it's of no use to me. My one boy uses it.

rlhollo
January 05, 2013, 10:15
I really like the 572 fieldmaster. It has ate everything I have given it and it accurate enough to take the squirrels I want.

declaration
January 05, 2013, 16:31
loved my rossi!

geno929
January 05, 2013, 19:51
I have a Henry Lever action .22. I love it, it's accurate and will shoot any .22 on the market. I got mine for around $180 from a local dealer. And the look and finish match my Ruger Single Six. A great option. And the Federal bulk ammo is very accurate and cheap!

Aeroscout
January 05, 2013, 20:17
I have been looking for one as well. I have not narrowed it down to which one exactly yet, but I can tell you it will be the one with the longest barrel I can find and that shoots 22 short, long and long rifle. It will also be a pump action. As mentioned above, they are faster to operate than a lever gun and the action is more natural....you don't ever loose sight picture when operating.

Being able to mount a scope...not sure if that is really all that important to me as I have found old school long barreled .22's to be extremely accurate by their own right and the ranges it would be used at doesn't neccesarily require it.

The key for me is the long barrel and the .22 short. They make less noise than my .22 air rifle....damn near suppressed...(Did I mention Mt. Dew in the 20 oz plastic bottle is awesome?....very refreshing!) (Then again ability to mount scope with "tall rings" might be a benefit). You could bounce 6 rounds off a hobgoblins grape before he even knew which direction it was coming from.....all the while never even waking the neighbors! What's not to love?

skeeterbay
January 05, 2013, 22:35
I like my pumps don't get me wrong. I use Win 97's and did use the 1890 for many years, but I do question whether they are any quicker than a lever gun. I have several lever action 45-70's and I can work them pretty fast.
I had to put down a wounded moose running around one year. One of my sons came over after it was all over and ask who was shooting. He did not believe it was me as he thought it was a semi auto. Lord how I hate to quarter a moose in waist deep water. :eek:

Aeroscout
January 06, 2013, 00:00
I like my pumps don't get me wrong. I use Win 97's and did use the 1890 for many years, but I do question whether they are any quicker than a lever gun. I have several lever action 45-70's and I can work them pretty fast.
I had to put down a wounded moose running around one year. One of my sons came over after it was all over and ask who was shooting. He did not believe it was me as he thought it was a semi auto. Lord how I hate to quarter a moose in waist deep water. :eek:

I had the same experience when taking an Elk...Using a bolt action, neither my Father or the friend we were hunting with thought it was me shooting, as like you said, sounded like an auto loader going off....adreneline is a funny thing.

I am sure I could not duplicate the rapidity of those shots under normal conditions.

Wildcat
January 06, 2013, 15:48
I have a Taurus 62 which is a hoot to shoot. It has been very reliable and very accurate.
krf

I have one of those. It is great fun to shoot.
It did not like to feed some of the broader tip Winchester hollowpoints though. Once I had the receiver relieved where the cartridges pass from the magazine to the carrier, the problem was solved.

They only do 22LR though. No shorts.

As to the speed of the pump versus the lever gun, it depends on the lever gun. The guns with the shorter throw levers (i.e. Browning BL) can keep up with the pump rifle.
A lot of the pump guns don't have a disconnector: if the trigger is held through the cycle, the hammer falls immediately when the action is shut (Like an Ithaca or Win '97 shotgun)

GLS_1956
January 12, 2013, 01:36
I have a Browning BP-22. I bought it back in the 70s. I've no idea of how many thousands of rounds I have put through this fine rifle.

If you can come across one, I'm sure you'll not regret picking it up. Other the clone of the Winchester model 62 would be a nice pick.

I've not shot the present production Remington pump, but I've never heard bad about them.

bykerhd
January 12, 2013, 12:01
I handled one of the Henry .22 pumps the other day.
Very nice rifle.
Retro looking, but proportioned more like modern rifles.
They are much more substantial, especially the forearm/slide, unlike the slim originals.

I liked it, but I haven't shot one and they are NOT cheap.

tfillen
January 20, 2013, 11:27
I've always wanted a Winchester Model 62. They have always been priced out of my range. I bought a Remington Fieldmaster 572 and have been very happy. Mine was built in 1980, so the foregrip slide looks more like the slide on a Win 62 than the newer ones (I think).

tigerfans2
January 20, 2013, 20:06
My wife has an early '70's 572BDL and we also have her dad's 572 lightweight with the sleeved barrel. We like 'em both but 552's are a kick.