PDA

View Full Version : Rom M69 FTE/FTL problems solved

mutter
December 27, 2012, 02:22
Had issues with the spent cases ejecting and then problems with new rounds stripping from the magazine and loading correctly. for years I'd tried different approaches to the problem but to no avail. Every time I'd fix 1 problem another would appear. I set the last rifle down a year and a half ago to think about it. I finally thought about the gun today when I was looking in the safe for another gun and saw the Romy 69 I rebuilt for my daughter for Christmas. I was able to fix the ejector problem and the gun now functions as slick as thought.

However, I went over my notes and figured out that I went by way of my butt hole to get to my elbow. Essentially I ended up fixing the original major yet minuscule problem by creating yet another problem and then fixing that problem. I essentially created a circular storm of self created stupidity.

In the end it works out. The solution to all of those problems is a quick pain in the ass but simple to do disassembly, part replacement, and reassembly.

Repair:

On the left side of the top side of the receiver is a bolt release lever.

To fix the FTE, FTLoad problems you need only do 1 thing. Drive out the retaining pin and then replace the spring in this part with a spring about twice as strong. 50 cents at the local Nappa will do.

This is just an FYI for other Romy owners

1911Ron
January 01, 2013, 19:29
Cool thanks, may have to pull mine out and fix it.

wolfspotter1
January 01, 2013, 19:56
The firing pin also acts as the ejector. The faster/harder you pull the bolt to the rear, the better the ejection.
If there's any cosmoline or dirt on the on the firing pin or channel, you'll get light primer strikes. The firing pin will also remain protruded resulting in feeding problems.

I removed the firing pin and cleaned everything with kerosene and tooth brush.
Polished with 800 grit sand paper and then polished both sides on a fine, flat stone and touched up the edges. No more problems.

gunnutt
January 16, 2013, 16:02
So I picked up one of these about 45-60 days ago and had same issues as described.

1. Feed issues
2. Fail to Eject

I took it home from FFL/Range and tore it down to bare pieces. Cleaned it from head to toe and removed about 200 years of dirt and cat hair out of it.

I noticed several issues right off the bat.

1. Extractor was chipped and thin
2. Feed ramp was too low

1. I welded up the Extractor and re-cut its angle to correct this issue.
2. At first I was going to remove the barrel and adjust this but decided not to. From underneath you can access the feed ramp so I used a punch and hammer to raise it to the correct position.

I took it to the range this past weekend and it feeds like a dream, actually has nice tight groups at 25M pistol range is used it at. It doesn't chuck the empties 100 feet but it made i nice little pile about a foot next to me on the bench.

The next issue is the milled base on the top. It isn't 3/8". What size scope rings goes on that?