PDA

View Full Version : I'm Free! I killed my TV

prosecond
December 14, 2012, 22:36
I have talked about doing this for some time. I finally called directv and cancelled my service. I hated paying for the service and what my kids could see. I don't have an antenna and don't know if I will get one.

W.E.G.
December 14, 2012, 22:40
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cChMqt-wR1k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Story
December 14, 2012, 22:44
Welcome to the club.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_06hbjgBUnmE/Std6vuuYYaI/AAAAAAAAAT8/uoPj1nrfYHs/s400/elvis-shot-up-tv-792381.jpg

VonFireball
December 15, 2012, 01:16
I have talked about doing this for some time. I finally called directv and cancelled my service. I hated paying for the service and what my kids could see. I don't have an antenna and don't know if I will get one.

I'm happy for you. I really am. I have very basic cable because it's cheaper to get it with the internet than to just get internet as a standalone service. Strange, that they would so love to pump the sewage direct to my living room that they'd make it cheaper to get both than just one. Needless to say, we haven't watched any television since the olympics. Once every two or three weeks one of the kids flips the tv on and walks away. Then another two or three weeks goes by and someone turns it on just to make sure it still works.

As for direct tv, they send me ads twice a week. Now they've begun disguising them in greeting card sized envelopes complete with cursive lettering that looks hand printed. At first I was mad about all their ads, but now I figure they are just spending money fruitlessly and will hopefully be out of business soon.

elguapo
December 15, 2012, 05:20
The perfect thing is to have ONLY what YOU want to watch: not what they want you to watch.
I have COX here in AZ, and they adjust the timing of the commercials so that you cannot avoid them. Unless, you click over to a Movie. Same as all the shit going on at U Tube: I think it is safe to say Utube: we DONT want to watch your commercials. And yet you make us watch because we want to see a transmission rebuilding video with a commercial about some "Not Seen on TV" commercial.

Sweet.

gunner30
December 15, 2012, 05:41
welcome to the club,ended our affeliation 4 or 5 years ago

Wil-C
December 15, 2012, 05:42

Good for you! Smartest thing you could have done for yourself. I turned mine off in 1994 & I havn't missed it since, although I do miss watching some football.

VonFireball
December 15, 2012, 09:58
Same as all the shit going on at U Tube: I think it is safe to say Utube: we DONT want to watch your commercials. And yet you make us watch because we want to see a transmission rebuilding video with a commercial about some "Not Seen on TV" commercial.

Ad-block plus.

Dick S
December 15, 2012, 10:08
You can watch just about any football game...American, Australian, Canadian, Soccer football College or Pro on the internet...usually not HD quality but you get the fix.

Been off the cable now 1 1/2 years...get offer to reup for less money to start back up for 6 months...not interested!

MakNorinco
December 15, 2012, 10:10
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-O8GFVgvf24Y/TjbRF-dI2gI/AAAAAAAAAVg/GQ8yngXFEb8/s1600/They+Live+We+Sleep.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7NTT9lPCyUo/TE2XKu55ZzI/AAAAAAAAAM8/y1t4OYUS50I/s1600/they_live_speaker.jpg

juanni
December 15, 2012, 10:28
Welcome aboard!! :beer::beer::beer:

I have never owned/rented/had a TV.
TV is a big time waster and intelligence shrinker.

Once you haven't been around it for a while and then catch a glimpse, it is revolting.
The canned laughter every 3 seconds, and the oohs and ahhs is enough to make you nutz.

.............juanni

357ross
December 15, 2012, 10:33
The perfect thing is to have ONLY what YOU want to watch: not what they want you to watch.
I have COX here in AZ, and they adjust the timing of the commercials so that you cannot avoid them. Unless, you click over to a Movie. Same as all the shit going on at U Tube: I think it is safe to say Utube: we DONT want to watch your commercials. And yet you make us watch because we want to see a transmission rebuilding video with a commercial about some "Not Seen on TV" commercial.

Sweet.

Welcome to the FCC. If it weren't for their regs, MSNBC, CNN, ect. couldn't exist. That's why there are 10,000 channels no one watches, because for every desirable channel, cable co. must carry 10 channels that exist on govt. subsidy. If the subscriber could pick and choose and pay only what they want,there would only be about 5 cable channels available. The others exist because govt. forces us to pay for them.

gunplumber
December 15, 2012, 10:36
I haven't had "tv" for 10 years now. I have a DVD player and a public library.

gobbler
December 15, 2012, 10:41
If I could get the old lady weaned.....mine would be gone too.

gobbler

MordeanGrey
December 15, 2012, 11:14
As other have said, "Welcome!"

We dropped our DISH service more than a year ago, and just use Netflix through our DSL. I don't miss much except some local college sports. Our X-Box live account also has ESPN 360 which covers quite a few sports. Otherwise, I just go to a friend's house or a sports bar if there is something I really want to watch.

C2A1
December 15, 2012, 11:42
Yep, pulled the plug two years ago. Also ditched the computers at home ( have more than enough here at the office), so my 11 year old got away from the video games ( he finally bought, with his money an X box which we have limited to one hour week days (after homework) and none on Sunday. Yes he reads!!! ( In fact he picked up my copy of bushfire plaque and finished before I did). I put up an antenna and we get 6 channels, he and I may watch a game on Sunday, Wednesday night is movie night ( this week it was my pick so we watched Stg York) and last night he stayed up and watched An Ungentlemanly Act with me ( Lots of FAL action). By limiting the TV and video games, I think it has helped keep the family close and has given my 13 year old a real jump start on critical thinking because he reads, plays board games and gets involved in physical things. Funny, he is excited about Christmas this year because on Dec 26th the next Day by Day Armagedon comes out.

Tgeorgi2002
December 15, 2012, 11:47
I have not had cable tv for about 6 years. Been using netflix for streaming and rentals, also the library seems to have all the movies right after the theaters do and for free.

tywest
December 15, 2012, 12:12
Never had never will have satellite or cable. I will not pay $170 a month for something i would use an hour a week. Regular broadcast stations for weather as news is biased and impractical to listen to, but rarely watch as digital signals get messed up when the neighboors crank up the Blazer......RFI stinks

EPC WN
December 15, 2012, 12:18
Yep, pulled the plug two years ago. Also ditched the computers at home ( have more than enough here at the office), so my 11 year old got away from the video games ( he finally bought, with his money an X box which we have limited to one hour week days (after homework) and none on Sunday. Yes he reads!!! ( In fact he picked up my copy of bushfire plaque and finished before I did). I put up an antenna and we get 6 channels, he and I may watch a game on Sunday, Wednesday night is movie night ( this week it was my pick so we watched Stg York) and last night he stayed up and watched An Ungentlemanly Act with me ( Lots of FAL action). By limiting the TV and video games, I think it has helped keep the family close and has given my 13 year old a real jump start on critical thinking because he reads, plays board games and gets involved in physical things. Funny, he is excited about Christmas this year because on Dec 26th the next Day by Day Armagedon comes out.

Those books are soooooo good! I'm blessed with little bitty readers as well. TV has nothing on the Day by Day series!

tdb59
December 15, 2012, 12:51

gobbler

THIS !

bykerhd
December 15, 2012, 12:51
A local part time gunsmith's home was always quite easy to find.

"The house with the TV on the front lawn with the arrow sticking out of it" has been part of the directions for years now.:uhoh:

Not TOO many places around here that meet that criteria.:wink:

Itchingforaninchpattern
December 15, 2012, 17:02
A friend of mine (an home entertainment electronics fan) has wanted me to get my converter box up and running so I can get the local network affiliates on my TV. I think it can wait. After watching nearly 25 minutes of promotions (trailers, PSA's, ads for video games and moviegoer etiquette )"The Hobbit" last night, I was ready to shout out "Are you ever going to get to the damn movie?" Commercials used to be the price for watching television, apart from the cost of the appliance. No longer.
This is what I get when I pay 10 bucks a head for a little over 3 hours of movie? Okay, I fell asleep about 2 hours into it. I'm almost sworn off of movie theaters now, except for a little independent one that pushes 5-6 minutes of trailers and homemade-type etiquette warnings.
A great short story by the late Ray Bradbury was about a man that "murdered" his television, along with a number of other gadgets in his home and workplace. It was in the short story collection "The Golden Apples of the Sun". The fellow was sick of the amount of noise that most of them made and wanted to savor the silence like it was a thick bolt of flannel cloth.

elguapo
December 15, 2012, 17:48
Welcome to the FCC. If it weren't for their regs, MSNBC, CNN, ect. couldn't exist. That's why there are 10,000 channels no one watches, because for every desirable channel, cable co. must carry 10 channels that exist on govt. subsidy. If the subscriber could pick and choose and pay only what they want,there would only be about 5 cable channels available. The others exist because govt. forces us to pay for them.

Wow, what a racket!

prosecond
December 15, 2012, 18:02
I don't like to watch any sports except maybe the local college football team. It will be easy to do without it. I only watched some of the history channel and the outdoor network. Never paid for anything but basic and it was still around $75 month. Wife hates tv and I was the holdout. We don't have dsl available so I guess we will use a dvd player and get movies at the library. I use a broadband card for the internet. Can I use it with a wii to get netflix?

Incognito
December 15, 2012, 21:40
I did the same about 10 years ago. Before then I had all the stations available at the time which is probably about half what is available today and I found myself wasting my nights flipping through the channels only to realize after several hours that I had not found anything to watch.

I still have a TV. I just get on Netflix and find a good movie to watch once in a while and we stream it through internet. Much cheaper and I don't have a open nozel of crap pouring into my house.

Grinder
December 15, 2012, 23:48

gobbler

+10

CTW
December 16, 2012, 06:21
I am on the verge of getting rid of my satellite and installing an antenna. Probably get Netflix and stream it. A lot cheaper that's for sure. I would go completely tv less, but the Mrs. isn't having it.

alphadog58
December 16, 2012, 10:59
You CAN watch what you want when you want it. I have AT&T U-Verse. It has a built in DVR. I record the series and movies that I want to watch, and watch them when I feel like it. I gives me a feeling of GREAT POWER to fast forward through the commercials...
Larry

Story
December 16, 2012, 14:31
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7NTT9lPCyUo/TE2XKu55ZzI/AAAAAAAAAM8/y1t4OYUS50I/s1600/they_live_speaker.jpg

Need to borrow my sunglasses & bubblegum, or are you good? :cool:

MakNorinco
December 16, 2012, 15:55
Need to borrow my sunglasses & bubblegum, or are you good? :cool:

I'm all outta bubblegum....:biggrin:

Shoots High
December 16, 2012, 18:34
You may think me weird, but okay anyway. We went 25 years without a TV in the house. Raised the kids without one. We were happy indeed, and so were they. Prolific readers they turned out be be too. Sometime in the late 90's we got the one eyed monster back in the house, and now we vegetate in front of it like civilized people. Chewing gum for the eyes.

palmettomoon
December 16, 2012, 18:43
Two events that were the most liberating in my entire life were:

A.) Throwing my useless wife out of the house and divorcing her.
B.) Taking a huge box full of cable receivers, DVRs, etc. to Cox Cable and telling them to stick it up their a$$'s.

If I were forced to choose between the two?

I'd still be married to the shrew.:eek:

Bruce Allen
December 16, 2012, 20:56
Welcome to the club.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_06hbjgBUnmE/Std6vuuYYaI/AAAAAAAAAT8/uoPj1nrfYHs/s400/elvis-shot-up-tv-792381.jpg

I have a true story that ends exactly like the pic above.
One of my uncles used to own a .44 cal Charter Arms Bulldog.
He also liked to watch "Gunsmoke" reruns, which tells you how long ago this happened.
He used to dry fire on the TV (Who of us has not done that?) when Gunsmoke had its opener - where Dillion drew on another man in a gunfight.
Well.. this time my uncle forgot to check the revolver and it was loaded.
Ok - he blew a hole in the TV.
The rub was it was a borrowed TV from a repair shop who was working on his TV at the time.
He called me up and asked if he was in trouble. I advised him to be prepared to pay for it when it was returned.
He called me later and said when he set the TV on the the guy behind the counter looked at it and never said a word, and they never contacted him to pay for it.

True story.

We laughed about it for years afterwords.

Glucker
December 17, 2012, 17:05
Disconnected my cable about three weeks ago now, still miss some programs but not much, and its passing.

With my antenna, I get the local PBS (which actually has some good shows), and CBS which I have no use for, other than 60 minutes once a month or so.

Other than that, its either a DVD, or its off.