PDA

View Full Version : I am dreaming about...

riffraff2
November 08, 2012, 19:29
A Daewoo in 308. I like the rifle just don't like the cartrige it shoots. The 5.56 is fine for a mankiller but if one wants to have a more multipurpose gun then 308 is the ticket. There is only a very few North Ameircan animals I would not hunt with a 308 and of course for African game there are many animals that the 308 is just not suitable for. The Daewoo really looks/seems very nice, now for a better caliber.

dwkfym
November 09, 2012, 04:44
Why the 'woo over other semi-auto rifles that fire .308? A big part of my love for the 'woo comes from its 5.56mm packaging. I am not sure how much I'd love it in .308, but if there are any particular reasons I'd love to hear about it.

riffraff2
November 09, 2012, 18:05
Design.

Materials it is constructed of.

Looks. It also 'looks' ergonomic'. Don't know for sure since I have not handled one.

bykerhd
November 10, 2012, 10:20
I'm thinking Eugene Stoner designed the AR as a 7.62x51 and then downsized it to 5.56.
Could be wrong. Maybe I DO have that backwards ?

Upscaling the Daewoo to 7.62x51 might be more difficult than one might think.
Then again, maybe not.

I would be surprised if someone actually did it though.

There are several other interesting cartridges that might be good matches for the basic Daewoo design.
That is, providing an upper was designed to use AR type barrels.
And bolts ?
.458 SOCOM, 6.5 Grendel, etc.

aardq
November 11, 2012, 23:38
Also: 6.8SPC, 300BO, 7.62x40, 30 RAR, and _________________
Lots of potential and fun in any caliber.

Dan

riffraff2
November 16, 2012, 18:59
All the nonsense calibers are just that, nonsense. I will not own any firearm that won't fire a real, readily available round, period. I don't care for 223/5.56 either. To each his own, do what you want.

I am well aware that the 223/5.56 is THE caliber/round. I will pass thank you. I ain't going hunting for meat on the table with the 223. The 223 is a great mankiller and varmint round but ain't much good for bigger game or punching through 'cover/conceilment'.

My opinions only, they don't mean squat.

The SS109, green tip "penetrator" is a real big plus to the 223 though. Not good for game, however.

BIG50
November 20, 2012, 01:54
Im with ya brother 308 or bigger all the way the 223/556 round is a crappy tiny round its ok for small game. hell if you shoot humans with it you better hit them in the head or heart at close range if you want to drop them.
If I pull the trigger at something alive I want to drop it now and not chase it around.
just like a pistol round I will take a 45 acp or 44 mag over a 9mm or 40 s&w any day.
My 02 BIG50

All the nonsense calibers are just that, nonsense. I will not own any firearm that won't fire a real, readily available round, period. I don't care for 223/5.56 either. To each his own, do what you want.

I am well aware that the 223/5.56 is THE caliber/round. I will pass thank you. I ain't going hunting for meat on the table with the 223. The 223 is a great mankiller and varmint round but ain't much good for bigger game or punching through 'cover/conceilment'.

My opinions only, they don't mean squat.

The SS109, green tip "penetrator" is a real big plus to the 223 though. Not good for game, however.

riffraff2
November 20, 2012, 06:22
Im with ya brother 308 or bigger all the way the 223/556 round is a crappy tiny round its ok for small game. hell if you shoot humans with it you better hit them in the head or heart at close range if you want to drop them.
If I pull the trigger at something alive I want to drop it now and not chase it around.
just like a pistol round I will take a 45 acp or 44 mag over a 9mm or 40 s&w any day.
My 02 BIG50

I will say that I find the 357 mag more than adaquate for anything I am liable to shoot at. Shooting my 9s is OK but during the range session I just have to pull out the RHINO and pop off some mag. I don't feel fulfilled unless I do.