PDA

View Full Version : This may be the wrong question to ask here, but...

LVACGAR
July 23, 2001, 20:34
Since we ALL have thousands of rounds of .308 ammo lying around, has anyone bought a CETME, G3 or similar? How do you like them?

Sajer1
July 23, 2001, 20:49
Bought a CETME in Feb.,SW recv. with unissued parts. Nice looking rifle but I still like my FN better.
I consider it my beater in .308.
Accuracy is good but the trigger sucks big time.

DABTL
July 23, 2001, 20:54
CETME/SW stainless receiver. Nice wood. Loud as hell. Trigger is course at best. Probably that way when new, however.

I shoot it every so often. Not a favorite.

Get a sling from sledgehammer.

Everyone should own one. Just a different type, style and design of gun.

Timber Wolf
July 23, 2001, 20:57
I have one of the early CETMEs and like it. I can only recommend it as a novelty, something to own as an example of the HK type after you have your FAL needs out of the way. Mags have dropped to $9.95 each on special at TAPCO. They are a great buy at the current sub-$500 price. Get one of the Special Weapons receivers.

panchop
July 23, 2001, 21:44
i had a G3 kit put together on an FMP receiver(the imbel receiver of HK dom) by ProTech(one of THE HK gunsmiths) traded it about a month later and got a belgium FAL. looking for another Belgium FAL now. don't see the need to get any of that HK stuff. ( dont tell the guys at HKpro the'll ban my ISP :))

Turk
July 23, 2001, 22:19
You've been cold-busted panchop.

panchop
July 23, 2001, 23:33
DDDDOOOOHHHH

NC Rifleman
July 24, 2001, 07:58
A friend and I each ordered one of the HK-91 copies from Classic. I believe they were both on Hesse receivers. Both were pos IMO. Both hit so far to left you couldn't even adjust the sights far enough to correct. Had similiar problem with some USA assembled AKs. Bought CAI FAL that wouldn't cycle w/o regulater closed. Sent them all back. Decided to stick with factory originals.

idsubgun
July 24, 2001, 08:31
Where can you get a FMP receiver for a CETME build?
And is this the best or only one out there?

Thanks, Bill

W.E.G.
July 24, 2001, 10:29
The same guy who fixed my P.O.S. CETME also builds 'em from scratch for about what you'd pay for a Century/Hesse crap-shoot CETME.

See http://www.hk91.com/boards/Forum2/HTML/001390.html

Check with Carl p3llc@home.com I think. I do have a phone number and an address if you want to contact me by email.

Mine's a hoot now. And it is SERIOUSLY loud.

cadillac
July 24, 2001, 11:01
My first .308 was an HK-91 (in '79?, am I dating myself here?). Nice gun, lotsa fun. I think my FALs are (generally speaking) more accurate, deliver less felt recoil, and don't foul nearly as quickly. I wouldn't mind having another G3 type rifle to play with, but I'd never give up an FAL to get one! And since there are so many FALs to get first... carbines, LWs, Paras, HBs, AOWs, L1A1s, L2A2s Cannucks, NZs, Izzys, Belgians, Brazilians, T-48s (Amen), SAs, etc, etc, ...well those CETMEs might just have to wait a while!

Just my 2 cents.

W.E.G.
July 24, 2001, 11:06
Just as a point of clarification, the CETME was waaaayyyy less recoil than an HK (don't ask me why), and noticably less recoil than any of my FAL's. Recoil feels more like a Kuhhhh-shoommmm! than a Whack-o!!!

Still, what the CETME lacks in recoil, it makes up for in noise.

1911NM
July 24, 2001, 16:38
I bought a Springfield SAR-3 years ago when SA first marketed them. The dealer direct price was $579. I still have the rifle but I never shoot it. HK-91 type rifles have got to be the most non-ergonomic weapons I've ever fired. I qualified with a G-3 and earned a Bundeswehr qualification badge when I was stationed in Germany in the late '70s but I think my coach fudged the score so I could get a badge. I'd take an M-16 over the G-3 any day. The HKs are super reliable but not for me.