PDA

View Full Version : 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum

catmguy445
November 07, 2012, 18:22
I'd always been interested in this caliber, but since only two companies had ever chambered a firearm for it (The Remington 591/592 bolt action rifles and the Thompson Center carbine), and Remington had stopped producing the ammunition them in 1984.

However, Aguila began making ammo for the 5mm Magnum rifles a couple or three years ago, and that renewed my interest in them, and about four months ago, I found one on Gun Broker (a Remington 591) for a fairly decent price and got the bid on it.

I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet (saving up to get a good scope for it), but from what I've read, and what I've been told by other 5mm fans, the caliber outdoes both the .17 HRM and the .22 Magnum, so I'm real eager to find out.

Just wondering if there are any other people on the Files who have a 5mm, or have any interest in the caliber.

gunsmoke
November 08, 2012, 19:02
I always liked the cartridge. I was a kid when Rem brought it to us and I still think the concept has potential. But a lot has changed since then, it is an orphan and it's adoption prospects don't look good.

Today there are many options in the .22 RF world from CB Caps to 60 gr. SSS. With the 40 gr hypers beginning with the VELOCITOR setting the midstream standard.

The 5 still offers unexplored possibilities from say 30 gr hypers on up to 75 or so gr plated HPs for yotes. But no one builds a gun for it the market is infantessimal, so who will invest the money it will take to explore it?

Aggrvating all of it is the fact it is a RF if it were CF, a smaller heavier (higher pressure) HORNET(?) case and handloaders could explore the possibilities there would be more incentive to invest and explore.

With the generally contracting economy, the litigous and regulatory attitudes that abound, I don't hold much hope.

Just my $0.02.................:mad:

W.E.G.
November 08, 2012, 19:22
Buy a lifetime supply of ammo while it's available.

riffraff2
November 08, 2012, 19:48
You folks who like these odd cartriges are, well, strange. Always going for the off the wall stuff is a sign of, well it is not a good sign. It is similar IMO to the 'hoarder' folks, something in their brain doesn't work right.

MOO:

stick with guns that fire ammo that just might be available in the future. This means that our beloved 308 ain't really one of those guns/cartriges. The NATO 223 and the AK-47/AK-74 rounds are the ticket to ammo availability in the future. Yeah, the 308 is atill a NATO round but it's future availability is pretty small since only one MG is still chambered for it and it is in far less use than the MG chambered for the 223 round is.

Same problem with all the 'old West' guns out there. Old West guns are usually pretty cool but I ain't going to buy/own one if it is chambered in some fucked up cartrige.

W.E.G.
November 08, 2012, 23:05
Its OK to buy weird stuff once you are caught up on the important stuff.

I have a couple weird guns or ten.
How much 7.65 Luger ammo do I really need for a gun I haven't shot since 2002?

I don't plan on stocking a whole boatload of .41 Mag. or .44 Mag. either.
Nice guns, and all... but not on my list of "go-to" for anything.

Got enough .223, .308, .357, .38, 9mm, 12 GA to quell an interplanetary zombie apocalypse.

Pretty good stock of TP too.

Even got enough .22 rimfire that if the whole saved population were raptured, and returned as Gunkid clones, I could probably supply the all the armies of the plains of Megiddo. But, I may be short a wheelbarrow or two.

HighRatMaster
November 08, 2012, 23:52
The 5mm was a pretty awesome shooter when it came out. I've had both a 591 and 592, still have the '91. With the Remington ammo it is extremely accurate, like 1/2" at 100 yards for 3 shots. The Remington ammo bests all the 22 magnum ammo available, accuracy wise and velocity/bc/trajectory.

Sadly the centurion aguila ammo now available is much lower on the performance scale in all departments. I really like my CZ 452 22mag with Remington Premier and Hornady V-MAX so the 591 doesn't see much use.

308/223shooter
November 09, 2012, 00:52
I had a scoped 591, and it was a real shooter. When I could no longer find ammo for it, I traded it to a mate for a Squires Bingham .22 and a pint of Bushmills. I really liked that little Remmy, it'd really cluster the rounds better then any .22 I've ever shot at 75 meters.

LAFAL
November 09, 2012, 13:09
I always wanted one growing up. I remember the ad in Dads' Field and Stream of the kid sitting by a fence row w/ his 591 and a couple rabbits beside him. I found out that Aguila was coming out with the ammo and decided to get a rifle. Found the 591 I have now on Assault Web. It gets decent accuracy (1" at 100yds) with the Aguila and dispatches squirrels and crows with impunity.

catmguy445
November 09, 2012, 18:08
For HighRatMaster and LAFAL, were you guys aware that there's a 5mm Forum? The website is http://www.5mmforums.com. There's some good information and interesting articles there, if you want to take a look.

HighRatMaster
November 09, 2012, 18:37
Thanks for the heads up, I went and joined up!

gunsmoke
November 10, 2012, 13:07
For HighRatMaster and LAFAL, were you guys aware that there's a 5mm Forum? The website is http://www.5mmforums.com. There's some good information and interesting articles there, if you want to take a look.
\

Thank you! That is an interesting site! The article on the 5mm CRAIG alone is worth the visit!

Mattrico
November 11, 2012, 00:37
Hi all. My husband let me field this one as I am the one who owns the 5mm.
He came into work one afternoon after lunch and his boss asked him what to do with this gun his dad had given him. It was the 5mm. They where going to sell it but my darling spouse gave it a thought and asked if I could look at it. I fell slap over for it. She is my baby. I will say that I think that it is a crime to desecrate one with a scope, but hey, I am a snob.
My girl feels awsome when you touch her off. No real recoil and sits wonderfully for me. I shoot sitting on the ground with it across my chest (too busty any other way) balancing on my left hand and knee. At 75yds I put 4 in a 4x6 steel target with a grouping that I can cover with my thumb nail. Every time. Just iron sights. My only two complaints.....That it only has a 4 shot capacity and that my 8 year old son can shoot the same stats standing off hand. Little monster. I no longer let him touch it. The ammo availability does limit things, but I would never trade her for anything else. My 22 just can't do what she can.

The Lady M

gunsmoke
November 12, 2012, 00:30
Its OK to buy weird stuff once you are caught up on the important stuff.

I have a couple weird guns or ten.
How much 7.65 Luger ammo do I really need for a gun I haven't shot since 2002?

I don't plan on stocking a whole boatload of .41 Mag. or .44 Mag. either.
Nice guns, and all... but not on my list of "go-to" for anything.

Got enough .223, .308, .357, .38, 9mm, 12 GA to quell an interplanetary zombie apocalypse.

Pretty good stock of TP too.

Even got enough .22 rimfire that if the whole saved population were raptured, and returned as Gunkid clones, I could probably supply the all the armies of the plains of Megiddo. But, I may be short a wheelbarrow or two.

I got 2k or so .30 Luger for my American Eagle, P38, and BHP none of which I've ever shot not that I'm saving them for something special, just have "other priorities."

:rofl:

Besides I find the cartridge interesting and when I retire I'm going to handload some and see what it can do with modern powders and HPs, yeah thats the ticket...........

:rofl:

randy762ak
November 12, 2012, 18:26
I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet (saving up to get a good scope for it), but from what I've read, and what I've been told by other 5mm fans, the caliber outdoes both the .17 HRM and the .22 Magnum, so I'm real eager to find out.

It wipps butt,My Bro has one ,Years ago we were out in the spring and came upon a furrow in the field full of slush and I shot into it with my 22 mag -Made a 10in crater.Bro blast in with the 5mm and the crater was 2x as big splatter everywhere..

GW870
November 12, 2012, 21:39
randy762ak...
YOW!! Comparing splatters in the mud!! That brought back
memories from WAY long ago!
We didn't have no 5mm, but we did figure out speed matters.

GW

randy762ak
November 13, 2012, 02:41
randy762ak...
YOW!! Comparing splatters in the mud!! That brought back
memories from WAY long ago!
We didn't have no 5mm, but we did figure out speed matters.

Kids do the darndest things--- Let me tell you about swinging On Tarzan vines over the creek bank---:devil:

VanHahner
November 14, 2012, 14:45
The 5mm was a pretty awesome shooter when it came out. I've had both a 591 and 592, still have the '91. With the Remington ammo it is extremely accurate, like 1/2" at 100 yards for 3 shots. The Remington ammo bests all the 22 magnum ammo available, accuracy wise.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z33/vanhahner/fiveeightsat100.jpg

Best five shot group of the day at a 100 yds. measured 5/8 center to center off of a 3 inch "Shoot.NC." target.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z33/vanhahner/Marlin17HMR.jpg

17 HMR