PDA

View Full Version : OT....24" AR upper question...

K. Funk
July 23, 2001, 19:21
While shopping around for an AR parts kit, I noticed that Model 1 and M&A offer both 20" and 24" E2 uppers. Curiosity got the better of me and I opted for the 24" kit from M&A. She's all together now and looks pretty heavy duty, if not a bit odd with all that extra hardware hanging out front. My question(s) is(are): Is the 24" a military lentgh? How does the extra length affect lock time/cycling. How much velocity is to be gained? Is the longer barrel inherently more accurate? This'll do for starters.

Thanks,

krf

chuck1
July 23, 2001, 22:13
I wish I could be 100% sure on the velocity part of your question. I have read that it is about 30 to 50 fps per inch ( someone correct me if I am wrong. The standard M16A2 barrel is 20 inches in length. The length shouldn't affect functioning any as the gas port is in the same place as the 20 inch..
Hope this helps answer a few of your questions.

Upside Down @ 100 MPH
July 23, 2001, 22:24
I once had an AR15 upper that had a Wilson 24" bull barrel on it. Compared to my Blackstar 20" DCM barrel it was not as accurate but it would shoot in the .400" range and the occasinal group in the high .3's with the right load and using windflags at the range. It also cycled fine, nothing out of the ordinary.

On velocity, you will gain, but it's going to depend on the powder used. Slower powders gaining more, especially if you're going to shoot some the heavier bullets like 77 or 80 grains. You could probably go to AR15.com and search the reloading section for something more specific.

Greg

K. Funk
July 24, 2001, 19:56
Thanks for the replies, I hope to get it out to the range and do some tuning this weekend. I'll probably stick to surplus 62 gr for now.

krf