PDA

View Full Version : Gotta have it...

andresere
October 12, 2012, 16:04
Went and looked at Uberti Frontiers this morning. I have always fogged the display case glass looking at them, but never actually held one in my hand until today. Both models I looked at were 5.5" .45 LCs. One was the case-hardened/blue combo and the other was the "original" finish. If the store would have had a NIB original finish I would be shooting instead of typing right now. Not particularly fond of buying the "town bicycle" as it were.
I want to try the 7.5" barrel as well, but something tells me it won't balance as well as the 5.5. What a trigger!

Anyone have any pros/cons experiences with Ubertis? Any tips as far as looking at them would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

VonFireball
October 13, 2012, 00:49
I once received a Cimarron Model P direct from the factory with a incorrectly timed barrel. I mean, how hard is it to make the front sight sit straight up and down? Typical of today's quality control all around.:rolleyes:

It was a 5.5 inch model and it balanced pretty good but not as good as the 4 3/4. Some say it's the perfect length but I think I disagree. If you are using it as a carry piece it's a bit too long IMO to conceal comfortably and if concealed is the goal you might as well get the 4 3/4, at least with regards to the Colt copy. If you are using it as a woods gun openly carried you might as well get the 7.5 inch barrel for a bit better ballistics and sight radius. It ain't that much heavier though my 5.5 inch model was still hard on the hip you carried it on. I much prefer a good three or four inch k frame size gun though I realize that isn't the issue here.

Also, I wouldn't buy any Uberti with the "Charcoal" blued finish. Looks beautiful when new but starts rusting even untouched in the display case. Not sure what you meant by "original" finish. My best advice is just to get a Ruger Blackhawk, it's more fun and capable while retaining enough six shooter appearance to satisfy your average 21st century cowboy.

STGThndr
October 13, 2012, 07:03
The Ruger single-actions are good functional weapons but suffer from a "dork factor" with the "target" sights, hence the more historically accurate western-style Ubertis. I have had several Ubertis.. one in .44mag which I use as an adjunct to my .44 carbine. Shoots fine for what I need/want it to be, basically hot .44 special loads in the mag cases. Never any issues other than I'd like to get some ivory-like grips for it instead of the somewhat common woodies.
The Uberti .44 percussions have served well, the fact that I get impatient with the mess and slowness of the black powder system notwithstanding.

andresere
October 13, 2012, 08:04
Not sure what you meant by "original" finish.

This is "original" finish.
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll166/andresere/Cimarronoriginalfinish.jpg

VonFireball
October 13, 2012, 15:43
The Ruger single-actions are good functional weapons but suffer from a "dork factor" with the "target" sights, hence the more historically accurate western-style Ubertis.

Dork factor? Maybe but it's simply a superior weapon unless you just wanna play cowboy or do quickdraw. You can shoot anything from mild to wild loads out of say a .45LC or .44 special Lipsey's model blackhawk and adjust the sights to shoot POA without a file in your hand. That makes it good for plinking and good for a potent woods gun.

This is "original" finish.

Yeah no thanks.

bykerhd
October 14, 2012, 07:47
I prefer 5 1/2" barrels in a .45 single action.
A Ruger Bisley Vaquero in polished stainless steel would be my first choice.

The Italian single actions sure feel like real Colts.
But, the mainsprings usually seem kind of wimpy for some reason.
I'm probably too use to Rugers.

I've seen the "original" finish and thought it looked kind of cheesey.
The blue and case color versions are quite nice.

Dave Hume
October 14, 2012, 09:42
I

Also, I wouldn't buy any Uberti with the "Charcoal" blued finish. Looks beautiful when new but starts rusting even untouched in the display case. Not sure what you meant by "original" finish.

Is that pretty much the same as the standard Savage blued rifle finish? Accurate guns, but the finish starts wearing if you look at it with a harsh attitude.

jdmcomp
October 15, 2012, 06:22
Got to agree with the Ruger Dork Factor comment. Why bother with a single action at all if not to "play cowboy and quickdraw" as there are many capable DA pistols for all other purposes. The Ruger is the pretend single action and serves no purpose a double action could not serve better, and I have often wondered why Ruger did not go ahead and make it double action. Note that even Ruger tried to correct this DF with the Vaq.

The proper single action represents a period of history full of images and life not now attainable. From my point of view that means 4 clicks and a hammer mounted firing pin. I probably have more then a dozen single actions of this type including Colt, S&W and Remington replicas. I did own a Ruger SA, but its nerdiness overcame me and it was sold quickly. I enjoy shooting all of them even if reloading is slow and only with 5 rounds. The feel of a big flat spring loading as I pull the trigger back while trying to find the front sight in the tiny grove cut in the top strap is simply not to be found in the Ruger.

I admit the Ruger is the single action perfected but I do not drive the Model T perfected every day. But when I want to an old fendered roadster is perfect with no heat, air or radio.

andresere
October 15, 2012, 09:32
Going to Eastern Oregon this week for my retirement ceremony. There are a lot of SA Cowboy shooters over there so I've got a couple of gun shops to hit. If I get something, I will be sure and post pictures. Might even be able to bust some caps with it while I am there. This is a present to me, and I'm thinking of having it engraved with my time in the Army and my rank and name on the back strap. Tomorrow I will have 26 years in, where did the time go?:confused:

richardrose67
October 15, 2012, 12:07
I just picked up a 7 1/2 '' Cavary model fit and finish are super, timing is great . For the price it is great. I own two real colts SAA and a oldVaquero a stocking dealer sample, a super gun. The new Cimmaron is a good deal, no problems at all. $430 shipped.
R.F.A

E5c03
October 15, 2012, 13:43
Ruger Vaquero .44mag 4 5/8",,older version.
Love shooting this,,paired with a older Rossi '92 .44mag 20"carbine.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r238/bamcis/Vaquero/002.jpg

NEWFNL1A1
October 15, 2012, 13:59
You guys are killing me! :uhoh::rofl:

I'm going to be completely broke!!!!!!!!!!

I have looked at the Cimmaron P w/an 45 ACP cylinder.

E5c03, I had the SS version of yours...LOVED IT! Lost it in the fire mentioned in the other SSA thread. Still have the Trapper I paired with it

I have to stay w/ 44mag/Special or 45ACP...not doing another caliber.

VonFireball
October 15, 2012, 20:02
Got to agree with the Ruger Dork Factor comment. Why bother with a single action at all if not to "play cowboy and quickdraw" as there are many capable DA pistols for all other purposes. The Ruger is the pretend single action and serves no purpose a double action could not serve better, and I have often wondered why Ruger did not go ahead and make it double action. Note that even Ruger tried to correct this DF with the Vaq.

I'd still have a single action if I had bought the Blackhawk to begin with. Playin' cowboy be damned. Cowboy quickdraw is stupidity using actual live ammo and epitomizes "dork" if you shoot wax bullets or just projectile-less BP loads.

Not sure where you get "pretend single action" from either. The Blackhawk is a tougher gun, period. I'd much rather have it's rugged transfer bar safety and more durable action=hotter load handling capability for woods use than the six shooter that only holds five safely. It also uses a coil spring not a leaf=more rugged design. They didn't make it a double action because they have a DA, the Redhawk. And yeah, pretty much any DA revolver offers more capability than a single action. The Vaquero was to compete in the cowboy dork market. Just sayin.....

Get the Lipseys .44 special Blackhawk or a BH .45LC model. Cowboy enough, more durable, better sights, can shoot any load from mild to wild and you can actually load six in it without putting a hole in your leg. Oh yeah, and they are more affordable.;)

idsubgun
October 18, 2012, 15:30
Buy it, Andy.

Opie
October 18, 2012, 22:57
Going to Eastern Oregon this week for my retirement ceremony. There are a lot of SA Cowboy shooters over there so I've got a couple of gun shops to hit. If I get something, I will be sure and post pictures. Might even be able to bust some caps with it while I am there. This is a present to me, and I'm thinking of having it engraved with my time in the Army and my rank and name on the back strap. Tomorrow I will have 26 years in, where did the time go?:confused:

Bust some caps here at my house...lots of space to do it, and I know where there be some pasture dogs that need some holes poked in em....

Opie
October 18, 2012, 22:59
As far as the Uberti's go...everyone that I have handled, shot, and every person that I have talked to about them indicate they are nice, and are pretty well made.

Its your gun ultimately...if its what you are lookin for and what will do what you want it to do, buy it man....just let me shoot it a couple times... :biggrin:

parallaxbill
October 22, 2012, 05:20
I'm currently lusting after the Uberti 3.5" CMS in 45 Colt.

Having read this thread I should mention I have many DA revolvers including Redhawks in 44 magnum and 45 Colt as well as Ruger Old Models and New Models in .22rf-45 Colt and love them all. The Uberti is to fill a need I have for a neat, shorter (than my OM 3.3/4" Vaquero) 45 Colt that feels like a real Colt but doesn't cost too much. Rugers, as much as I love them, just don't handle like Colts.

Maybe by next weekend! ;)

charger0122
October 22, 2012, 05:48
check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYOJa8ZNxmE

andresere
October 24, 2012, 10:04
That was very cool, thanks for posting. I guess I would wonder why the technician eyeballs the barrel alignment when there are ways to ensure it is dead on.

FAL4EVER
October 24, 2012, 18:27
Liking my 7.5" Uberti Cattleman.
Personally I think balance is just fine, it's not like you're dealing with a heavy underlug or something. But you'll gain a little velocity and get a longer sight line. Shooting exclusively blackpowder in mine.
http://webpages.charter.net/magnum.44/P1010072.JPG

dwood601
October 25, 2012, 11:29
I'd still have a single action if I had bought the Blackhawk to begin with. Playin' cowboy be damned. Cowboy quickdraw is stupidity using actual live ammo and epitomizes "dork" if you shoot wax bullets or just projectile-less BP loads.

Not sure where you get "pretend single action" from either. The Blackhawk is a tougher gun, period. I'd much rather have it's rugged transfer bar safety and more durable action=hotter load handling capability for woods use than the six shooter that only holds five safely. It also uses a coil spring not a leaf=more rugged design. They didn't make it a double action because they have a DA, the Redhawk. And yeah, pretty much any DA revolver offers more capability than a single action. The Vaquero was to compete in the cowboy dork market. Just sayin.....

Get the Lipseys .44 special Blackhawk or a BH .45LC model. Cowboy enough, more durable, better sights, can shoot any load from mild to wild and you can actually load six in it without putting a hole in your leg. Oh yeah, and they are more affordable.;)

+1
Of the seven revolvers I own, only 1 is single-action (Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag). And yet I can't remember the last time I shot any of them double action. IMHO, unless you're Ed McGivern, the only time you need to shoot a revolver double-action is when you're just throwing a bunch of lead downrange without the need for accuracy.

October 26, 2012, 00:51
The latest NRA rifleman mag reviewed an exact copy of John Wayne's movie revolver, made by Cimarron Arms I think, now I want one of those.

NEWFNL1A1
October 26, 2012, 08:00
The latest NRA rifleman mag reviewed an exact copy of John Wayne's movie revolver, made by Cimarron Arms I think, now I want one of those.

Link:
http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/ModelP/RS400RoosterShooter.htm#

Timber Wolf
October 26, 2012, 09:37

Yep, I bet that article sells a lot of them. I kind of want TWO myself.:wink: