View Full Version : The AUG and steel.

October 07, 2012, 00:22
I have a question on running steel case ammo in the AUG a3, will it run with no ill effects?
With the new AUG's out I have thought about buying one before the decide to kill
them again.
And before anyone says "if you can afford an AUG you can afford brass" I can,but that
does not mean I want to piss money away just to go to the range.
Thanks Rich.

October 07, 2012, 00:33

I havent seen it done, and I dont think the savings is worth the risk. Lots of destroyed rifles because of Wolf ammo. Just not worth it. Ive been offered $80 for the lousy box for my A2 so I know aint nothing cheap on an AUG.

October 07, 2012, 16:14
I've shot a few hundred rounds of Wolf out of my USR when nothing else could be found. No issues what so ever, I wouldn't do it on the regular though. Too much money to risk IMO for a few cents less per round.

October 07, 2012, 21:00
Thanks guys for the replys. I am over at the AKfiles all the time and I'm
pretty wraped up in AK's but I have always wanted an AUG but the price
has always kept me away, now that they have true Steyr AUGs in the USA
again I'm excited. Still pricy but not much more than a top name m4, just
Way cooler IMHO !
I might need to sacrifice my 7.62 Krink to buy it so I'm weighing my options
Carefully, but at the same time I feel if I don't act I will miss out.
Besides it would look great next to my Steyr m9a1 :)

October 08, 2012, 09:58
I have run Wolf in my MSARs with no issue. I have an AUG A3 and have not run Wolf in it, but would not hesitate to...A good rifle should be able to run it when nothing else is available. :shades:

October 09, 2012, 11:41
Tried Tula ammo from Wallocaust in my A3 at around 200 rounds...Got stuck and had to rod it out. Tried it again at 300....same thing. Went again at 400....Wala! Works just fine. Shot up my remainding 40 rounds of Tula with no problems,but never bought any more.
I do shoot Silver bear 62 Gn soft points due to getting a case cheap.I've put 500 rounds of it thru the A3 and it works great.
The Silver bear is nickel plated and I would suggest this if you are going to use steel case ammo. I would skip the Tula/Wolf,as those are the only malfunctions I have ever had in 1600 rounds through the rifle.
Hope this helps.

October 09, 2012, 16:42
Thanks for all the responces it helped my decision. Im going to purchass an a3,
Just no stedy diet of steel.