PDA

View Full Version : Rear Sight

GSP228
October 03, 2012, 15:55
Can anyone tell me how to replace the rear sight on a Savage 6A rifle? The old one appears to be either spot welded or soldered to hold it in place. Thanks.

MAINER
October 08, 2012, 09:01
I'm assuming :rolleyes: that your sight is the standard leaf sight attached via a dovetail slot in the barrel?

Was this rifle once owned by a fellow by the name of Bubba?

I would try the brass punch and hammer trick to see if anything breaks loose. If it is soldered it just might come apart. If some moderate taps don't work, I'd heat the sight while tapping with the brass punch. This might be a two-man job. :beer:

Harder to think that it would be welded, but anything is possible. This would calll for the slot to be recut preferably with a dovetail cutter in a mill.
For me, that would mean Dremeling the old sight and cleaning up with a 60 deg. triangle file, whilst trying real hard not to enlarge the slot.

If I had to destroy the origional sight, I'd put a Lyman folding sight in its place.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=742

GSP228
October 08, 2012, 16:57
You hit the nail on the head with your link. The sight step is missing and the rear portion of the sight has been broken off. I had already ordered part #1 and part #2 on the schematic from Numrich. When they arrive I'll get some solvent and a brush to try to determine exactly how the sight is attached. I had only given the rifle a quick once-over when I posted the question. I was hoping to know exactly what I was dealing with before I got started. It was a beater, truck gun before I got it. Thanks for the reply.