PDA

View Full Version : A1 Donut of Death!

Airacuda
September 29, 2012, 10:29
I,ve been shooting my A1 a bit more now to get used to the Circle sight. A fellow member sent me the manual with pics on how to use it at various distances. I cannot hit 16oz water bottles at 50 yds or so with the same consistency as I can with my red dot A3. However when it comes to man size targets it is just as fast and accurate.
I took it with me on the 500 yd shoot last night and tried the circle,which is supposedly good to 500.Well at about 730pm in S Florida it was very much dusk. I was unable to hit the target with my SA58 due to I could not see the target using irons. Picked up the A1 and could barely make it out. I took 10 shots using the sight pic the manual suggested. We finished for the night 10 minutes later and I had 6 hits out of 10! I was very suprised. Now they weren't all center mass mind you,but they were all in the body.
Earlier in the day I worked on CQB type shooting and out to 100yds. I now understand how the sight increases hit potential on human targets at range and in low light. I'm a believer!

KBAR04
October 01, 2012, 17:23
I love the donut site on my A1, Ive shot it for over 20 years and prefer it to the newer gee whiz dot sites etc. I can just hit easier with it.

Thorack
October 01, 2012, 19:57
Hmm,

My A2 has a donut reticle so I assume on Steyr guns its the same Swarofski scope for the A1 and A2?

Thorack

KBAR04
October 01, 2012, 20:18
The A1 had the simple donut reticle. The A2 (at least the one I had some years ago) had the donut with a crosshair reticle as well.

lowprone
October 03, 2012, 19:20
The rifle /scope combination was intended to provide a weapon platform for
Austrian inductees who have little or no firearms experience.
This was before the widespread introduction of RDS that are in vogue now.
They worked very well then and are still relevant as infantry small arms
sighting systems.