PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please... Is it worth doing a VZ58 kit and ORF receiver and build it??

EinheitElf
September 29, 2012, 00:47
I am pretty much broke dick but I still look for potential future projects.....

Need opinions, would it be worth it to try buying a VZ 58 kit and an ORF receiver and try to build it??? I dont have any info on the VZ58 type receivers BUT I know the ORF GALIL TYPE receivers are pretty junkie and the CAI ones are mediocre . As far as I know the VZ58 Czechpoint ones are the best(?) but does anyone have any experiences with these?

Can come out cheaper to buy parts and build up vs buying a built up one but i dont know the 'aggro factor' :?

Thanks guys!:biggrin:

FUUN063
September 30, 2012, 22:40
Well, way back when VZ58 kits were cheap, I bought one and stuck it back. Just after ORF when under, my buddy bought a ton of the VZ58 receivers and a bunch of kits, sticking them back and waiting on his license to get approved and all. Fast forward to last year and I completed the VZ58 build. It went together much like a standard build, with only a few minor issues. The toughest issue was that of the trigger group/sear that most have a problem with. After parkerizing the whole kit, assembling it and fussing with the trigger, it still was not right. During the trigger safety test (not fired yet), the trigger would fire the first time and then the sear would lock up the bolt/carrier assembly and a small bent wire had to be employed to release it internally. I put it away until not that long ago when I told myself "the shop door is locked and I'm not leaving here until one of us is dead or working!" :rofl::rofl:

I asked around and got a few "hey, call me" tips, but I simply fixed it myself. It didn't take that much figuring out once you understand how it works. A bit of TIG weld deposit fixed the problem. If I were you, I would build one as opposed to buying one, but that is what I normally do anyway.

Leland
:fal:

EinheitElf
October 01, 2012, 02:05
Well, way back when VZ58 kits were cheap, I bought one and stuck it back. Just after ORF when under, my buddy bought a ton of the VZ58 receivers and a bunch of kits, sticking them back and waiting on his license to get approved and all. Fast forward to last year and I completed the VZ58 build. It went together much like a standard build, with only a few minor issues. The toughest issue was that of the trigger group/sear that most have a problem with. After parkerizing the whole kit, assembling it and fussing with the trigger, it still was not right. During the trigger safety test (not fired yet), the trigger would fire the first time and then the sear would lock up the bolt/carrier assembly and a small bent wire had to be employed to release it internally. I put it away until not that long ago when I told myself "the shop door is locked and I'm not leaving here until one of us is dead or working!" :rofl::rofl:

I asked around and got a few "hey, call me" tips, but I simply fixed it myself. It didn't take that much figuring out once you understand how it works. A bit of TIG weld deposit fixed the problem. If I were you, I would build one as opposed to buying one, but that is what I normally do anyway.

Leland
:fal:

Thank's Leland!:)

BTW, hope all is well, goin well...... I will keep this in mind as a back burner since it looks like kits can still be had for 300/under and receivers for 2-300..... better than the 7-800 for a built up one.......