PDA

View Full Version : SIG-750/751

Herr Walther
September 27, 2012, 09:20
Does anyone know whether or not this rifle can be/has been imported into the US, or if it is made in Exeter, NH?

I really would like a SIG-556, but not at the expense of having to stock ammo for it. All I've seen of the SIG-751 are pictures, but can't find an actual owner nor one for sale in the States.

Anyone have a lead or information about these SIG rifles? Sure like to have one.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q239/red_terror/2011shotshow-01182011-32-1.jpg

Thorack
September 27, 2012, 12:19
Well,

I havent heard of or seen any stateside other than Demos at Trade shows. If the price was under $1500 I think it would be a home run, but gun companies dont listen to me.

I think it would be a hard sell though because 308 ammo prices have gotten so high. Their 7.62x39 rifle is pretty sweet. Better than an AK and close to some in price.

Thorack

W.E.G.
September 27, 2012, 12:38
I believe the consensus is that the 75X series is currently unobtainium.

I'm warming to the SIG rifles, but there are several issues that need work before I would spend over a grand on one:
Spare parts: Factory are scarce or unobtainable without shipping the gun to SIG for installation. Aftermarket parts are extremely limited.
Trigger: More akin to an AK-47 trigger than anything suited for marksmanship. Also, that weird hex-screw behind the trigger. Who thinks this shit up?
Rubber "gasket" that the charging handle rubs against on on every shot.
Magazines: In the case of the 75X series, appear to be unique to SIG products.
Sights: The 556R is shipping with no irons, and some sort of throw-away red-dot.

Right now, I see the SIG rifles as being a fair alternative to a low-end 5.56 piston-gun, and one of the better offerings in the 7.62x39 class if you want a gun that is designed around the Picatinny rail.

Herr Walther
September 27, 2012, 19:19
After a day and a half of research and a note to SIG.de in my marginal German, I tend to believe this is true. Still waiting to hear back from them. I don't expect anything for at least a week, if not two. Most German companies seem to take their time answering mail.

Spare parts are always a concern with any firearm and I hope that for the current batch of products they carry this will improve over time. With any luck at all, they will run like their handguns do over the long haul.

After further searching I was able to find this in a 2011 .pdf catalog from Swiss Arms, I believe the parent company manufacturing the SIG rifle lines.

I guess this rifle will remain on my want list for the foreseeable future. Sure would be nice to have another choice besides the AR-10, the clones, and the FN SCAR17 at a decent price point.

Insider
September 28, 2012, 01:07
You may want to consider the SIG 716 if you want a 7.62x51 rifle.

Herr Walther
September 28, 2012, 09:15
If I wanted an AR rifle I'd buy an Armalite or Colt.

MK ULTRA
September 28, 2012, 16:54
I hear the FN FAL is a pretty good 7.62 x 51 rifle...

If SIG could make a rifle as good as the 220 or 229 pistol it would be hard to beat.

Perhaps eventually SIG will make a good .308 rifle.

Herr Walther
September 28, 2012, 17:50
I believe this is the SIG forum, or am I lost in forum land here? :rolleyes:

Since I already have an StG.58, I'd like to add something else to the collection from SIG.

LKY_13
October 02, 2012, 13:55
Talked to a rep on this about six months ago. W.E.G. is correct, in that they are unobtainium.

Unfortunately, Sig USA chose to market yet another AR over producing the 750/751 SAPR stateside. Highly disappointing for most fans (like me) who so cherish their 550 series rifles. I would love to have a true Sig battle rifle. Can't really blame them (Sig USA) for building what sells though. Just don't personally understand the love affair the US has with AR rifles.

As for importing one-- you *might* be able to get a kit shipped over. Problem is; without anyone making receivers it's going to take a 'miracle man' to modify a 550 series upper (if this is even possible).

As much as it pains me to not be able to recommend a Sig rifle in 7.62x51, I have no problem pointing you in the direction of the Robinson Arms XCR-M. http://xcr.robarm.com/xcrm.php

http://xcr.robarm.com/images/slides/xcrm/Model1.png

2thdoc
October 04, 2012, 10:56
Whats wrong with sig 716? looking at one.

LKY_13
October 04, 2012, 11:53
Whats wrong with sig 716? looking at one.

Absolutely nothing, if you like the AR.

Personally, I feel like it's a bit of a sell-out move-- for Sig not to produce the 750 series. Why not do what you do best? Or, at least what the Swiss division of Sig Sauer does best. However, I understand that companies exist to make money, and AR's sell like hotcakes in the states. That said, Sig USA makes an excellent, if not outstanding AR (according to the reviews, and post I've read). Also, I have a Sig 1911. I'm sure some purists would spout hell-fire for not owning a Colt. Still, I would argue that it is one of the finest, most accurate 1911's money can buy (from the factory). Yes, over Kimber, Springfield, Colt etc. I would bet that you're going to be very happy with your 716 purchase.

Herr Walther
October 05, 2012, 00:56
Thanks for the link. No pricing info there, any idea on proposed cost?

I'll be sending them an e-mail with questions tomorrow.

Herr Walther
October 05, 2012, 09:08
I've been mulling this over for the last week, and I think I'm going to chuck this whole idea of trying to find a not-so-popular rifle and get another PTR-91.

I had one of the first when these came out back in 2001 or 2002. Wouldn't function worth a crap on surplus ammo because they didn't flute the chambers properly and called it a 'match grade' rifle. Spare me the bullshit. They were however, very well built with good welds, barrels, and receiver stampings.

Anyway, I hear now they have a mil-spec chamber on the 'Mil-Spec' model they sell and I've heard good reports of reliability. I can now mount a collapsable stock on one of these whereas I couldn't do that back in '02 or '03.

I think I'll go that route and call it good.

Thanks for those useful replies. You know who you are.

moses
October 11, 2012, 00:50
Well I think the SCAR 17 would be the best choice and I would also say that the SCAR 17 would be equal or better in Quality to the Sig 75x

I would also love a Sig 75x or a real Sig 55x but Sig just doesn't get it and I doubt we will ever be able to get a new manufactured one of either :(

Jpanzer
October 12, 2012, 03:23
Thanks for the link. No pricing info there, any idea on proposed cost?

I'll be sending them an e-mail with questions tomorrow.

Saw some info online that leads me to believe it's in the $2000-$2500 range depending on configuration. I really like the looks of this rifle. Been considering the Sig 716 for my next .308, might just try the XCR-M instead...

leek
October 12, 2012, 11:54
I'm a partner in a shop here in the Midwest. We just sold two 716's. Although i did not shoot it It sure looked well made and was well balanced with the flip up irons. It is a short stroke gas piston ----adjustable. We sold them for $1850.00. Came with Magpul furniture.