PDA

View Full Version : Yet another new SIG post. This time a 556R

AlaskanMBR
September 21, 2012, 22:14
I never really liked the Americanized SIG rifles until I saw this one a year back or so. Read the reviews, watched the videos and decided I'd wait until they got the kinks worked out. Finally looked like they did, so I got one. Man am I happy. Sweet ergonomics, nice 2 stage'ish trigger, a pleasure to shoot. Seems to have approximately AR accuracy but I need to put some glass on it to tell for sure.

It did need some work out of the box though, which was a bummer but not a deal breaker. A few observations:

- there was *some* upper/lower wobble, fixed it with one of those AR rubber dealies cut down a hair. It wasn't a lot, but I prefer none if I can help it.
-The handguards had some play too, which was unacceptable so I took the heat gun and fixed it by bending the plastic. There are a number of ways it could have been done but that's what came to mind first. Kind of lame it wasn't tight from the factory though...
-It came with little plastic rail segments for the right, left, and bottom of the handguard. Nice touch.
- The SIG red dot it comes with is had to go. On the higher end of Chinese made for sure, but replaced it with a T1 Micro. BTW, anybody wanna buy a brand new SIG micro dot?
- No ironsights out of the box but a red dot? Seems silly but whatever, just buy some irons.
- I really wanted a magpul grip on there so I WECSOG'd some MOE. Took some dremel time but pretty easy to figure out. It's rock solid and feels better than what was on there. The stock pistol grip felt too short and thick for my hand.
- The barrel is threaded 5/8x24, so this rifle is 30 cal can ready! The contour is thin in front of the gas block, but gets thicker under the handguards. Not sure how much the thinner front section affects accuracy, but it seems good enough for me.
-If you like AKs like I do, you will absolutely love this rifle.
-The lower is aluminum, nice for weight savings. This is definitely not a heavy rifle, weighs ~7lbs. The magwell is too deep to use drums, but oh well. I thought about getting it milled out in the future, but then I think about how often I use drums in my AKs and it's pretty much never. Nice to have the option though.
-It has a normal and dirty gas setting, but nothing for suppressed. When you put a can on there it really kicks that brass out.

In the first few hundred rounds the rifle has functioned flawlessly, but then I'd expect nothing less. Wolf ammo only so far.

I would recommend this rifle for sure, even with the minor fit issues I mentioned. They're easy to fix, and overall it's a fantastic package. Little bit of work and it's a rock solid rifle.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff244/akmbr/IMG374_zps23b88947.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff244/akmbr/IMG375_zps0acda724.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff244/akmbr/IMG371_zps7e77eae6.jpg

VonFireball
September 22, 2012, 17:34
Many thanks for the review! I have longed for a 556 for some time but financial matters have frustrated my attempts at ownership. I had taken a look at this model but they had many bad reviews though things seemed to have gotten ironed out. I'm hoping to toss one of these on layaway in the near future if I can't pay cash outright.

For a non-FAL I can't picture a better option. Very good accuracy reports out there with the reliability of an AK and the power of 7.62x39. I think the latest stock is much better than the fugly things they'd been using prior, at least in terms of look anyways.:) Don't really care about the drum option. I think the 7lb weight is also stellar, I had expected it to be more like 8lbs+.

My only question is how is the recoil of the weapon? More than an AK?

AlaskanMBR
September 22, 2012, 19:57
Recoil was about the same as an AK, which is to say not a lot. My 9 year old 80lb daughter shot it no problem.

kihnspiracy
September 26, 2012, 03:47
Thanks for the range report. i am thinking about buying one of these.:)

AlaskanMBR
October 14, 2012, 15:45
Put another 500rds through it. Nothing but flawless operation!

Also just picked up a SIG P938. Any interest in this gun? It's 9mm, in a 380 sized pistol.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff244/akmbr/IMG388.jpg

Thorack
October 15, 2012, 06:20
Hmm,

How many rds does the little SIG hold and is it comfortable to hold and shoot. Debating whether to get the wife something like this or a 9mm wheel gun.

Thorack

W.E.G.
October 15, 2012, 08:35
Tell us about the trigger on the 556R.

More detail than "two-stage-ish" please.

AlaskanMBR
October 15, 2012, 20:26
The 938 has 6 and 7 round mags, the 7rd mags have a nice little grip extension which feels great but I have no problem with the 6 round mags. All do a nice little write up in a few days, there are things I really like about it and a couple I don't.

The trigger on my 556r has about 1/8-3/16" take up at about 5-6lbs until it contacts the sear plunger pin (or whatever you call it) , then it takes another 1/16" at 6-7lbs to drop the hammer. Measurements and pull weights are my estimates, I don't think I'm too far off though. It feels really smooth and I have grown to like it a lot. There seems to even be two stages to the take up, there's a natural resting spot halfway through but the pull weight seems constant to me. Does that help? I don't know a lot about triggers except for what I like and don't like , and this one is very much acceptable to me.

W.E.G.
October 15, 2012, 20:43
By comparison, which it does it more closely resemble?:

Rock River two-stage AR-15 trigger
or
AK-47 semi-auto (say TAPCO "G2") trigger

With that much take up, at that much weight, its sounding closer to the AK trigger than the AR trigger. Which I suppose is my beef. A spendy "updated" version of the AK, but with a trigger that resembles a full-auto trigger that got converted to semi. Am I wrong to be skeptical or disappointed?

I understand that there is at least one aftermarket trigger for the 556-series guns, and that Geissele *might* be working on a drop-in trigger too. So, if you are willing to spend still MORE money on the SIG, there may still be hope for a quality trigger.

AlaskanMBR
October 15, 2012, 21:18
Its definitely like a nicer aftermarket AK trigger, no question. I don't hold that against the 556R- it is a Sig after all, that's the 550 series trigger. It is what it is. I don't mind decent AK triggers either. If you're looking for the best of all worlds, start making your own guns- I'd buy one for sure!

Delta-3
October 17, 2012, 12:24
My 556R.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w44/Delta-3/Picture619.jpg

I find the trigger better than any AK I own(or have owned) & as good or better than any stock AR trigger.
What impressed me was the accuracy. Using 3 different brands of "cheap" ammo it held an 1-1/2" group off the bench at 100 yds. With Lapua & my reloads it was 1- 1-1/4". It also seems much smoother in operation & recoil than my AK's.
Some compare it to a cross between an AK & an AR. I see it more as an AK/FAL blend with superb accuracy & AK reliabiltiy. I have over 1500 rds through mine so far & no issues whatsoever. It definitely blows even my high end AK's out of the saddle in every category.

wkendwarrior2003
October 17, 2012, 22:08
My 556R.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w44/Delta-3/Picture619.jpg

I find the trigger better than any AK I own(or have owned) & as good or better than any stock AR trigger.
What impressed me was the accuracy. Using 3 different brands of "cheap" ammo it held an 1-1/2" group off the bench at 100 yds. With Lapua & my reloads it was 1- 1-1/4". It also seems much smoother in operation & recoil than my AK's.
Some compare it to a cross between an AK & an AR. I see it more as an AK/FAL blend with superb accuracy & AK reliabiltiy. I have over 1500 rds through mine so far & no issues whatsoever. It definitely blows even my high end AK's out of the saddle in every category.

I have one also, quite fond of it thus far. Personally I find the trigger slightly heavy but not too bad.

If I might ask what are you using for back up iron sights? I've only used an Eotech on mine thus far and am looking for ideas.

Also I need a bayonet stud and one of those bayonets for mine:devil:

Delta-3
October 18, 2012, 08:46
I'm using Midwest Industries AR buis. I think only MI & Samson are the only ones that make the dovetailed front sight for the SIGs. Both are high quality sights & either will work great.
The bayonet & stud I bought from OST.

AlaskanMBR
October 20, 2012, 11:58
Loving the bayonet!:bow: I think I need one!

Sijones
November 12, 2012, 22:03
Like the 556R a lot. AR like accuracy from cheap steel ammo. Ergos much better than AK, but compares poorly to M4. Changed stock to raise cheek weld for an Elcan DR. Changed pistol grip, safety and trigger guard and added front sight. Now more like a M4 in handling. Good to go.