PDA

View Full Version : 45LC Schofield

Ranger44
September 16, 2012, 14:47
Just got a Uberti Schofield in 45 LC. Looking for pointers, like best loads and who might make a good leather holster for it.

Thanks...Ranger44

spider991
September 16, 2012, 15:00
Nice, 45colt is a super caliber, got a few myself...If ya gonna reload, a real nice powder is trail boss. Personally i use Goex FF cause i like black powder. So many different bullets, i cast 200 grain rnfp and 255g rnfp, both shoot super, you can get hornady hollowpoints, depending on your useage, the caliber can do bout anything. go to reloadammo.com for md pages and handloads.com...should give ya a nice base for reoading.ohhh great sight, trackofthewolf.com(powder,bullets,holsters, molds) for all reloading stuff. holsters? i like el paso saddlery, but there are so many different kinds to suit what you need. nice choice of shootin iron, load er up and have fun.

spider991
September 16, 2012, 15:04
oh and home defense, in which it is very capable, speer gold dots of course, hornady critical defense, win silvertips are all fine loads.

Ranger44
September 16, 2012, 19:21
Spider,
Thanks for the replies. I'll check them out.
I just got some 45LC for my Rossi 92 carbine that I'm going to try out, some American Eagle 225gr JSP and some Winchester PDX1 Defender 225gr JHP. Do you think both these loads will be alright in the Schofield?

Thanks...Ranger

spider991
September 16, 2012, 19:36
Should be fine with any standard pressure loads, and +p or real hot stuff should be left for rugers and rifles. Those loads you mentioned should be fine

Ranger44
September 16, 2012, 21:12
Thanks again think this pistol is going to be a lot of fun.
Found this online should be of some interest:
http://www.gunblast.com/TK-Schofield.htm

spider991
September 16, 2012, 21:18
Very cool gun, now ya got me lookin at one again dmmit,lol:rofl:

ALL FAL
September 17, 2012, 00:45
Yes, me too, Thanks for posting.

jdmcomp
September 17, 2012, 02:07
I found from experience with mine that the gun will only shoot to the sights if you are extremely lucky. Do not try Schofield cases as the rim is slightly different and will cause the gun to lock up, again, if tolerances are correct for the Colt round. May work, may not. I use 200 round nose lead and trail boss and get good results, just not where I am aiming at 25 yards. As said, hot loads are to be avoided at all costs. I think I own 7 or 8 Colt 45s and all are pleasant to shoot with the 200.

I had David Carrico (SP?) make me a RH military flap holster with butt aft and a cartridge box for the gun. I must say I found the leather to be thinner than it ought to be. Greatly disappointed with that and have not bought anything from him since. Holsters are not as common for the Schofield as for the Colts. In its day this holster was used for both guns and has two holes for the flap so it fits both.

The gun blast modification looks like a fun idea but I suspect that many loads for the other 45s will be a bit hot for the Schofield. The break top design is weak. My advice is to stick with standard or cowboy loads for your gun.

bykerhd
September 17, 2012, 07:45
I like the full moon clip/.45 ACP conversion idea.
.45 ACP brass is easy to find, as are the full moon clips.

jdmcomp's cautions about the break top's strength are something to seriously consider.
The conversion would be great for someone who reloads or stays with lighter .45 ACP loads.

Plus P & other hot loads for the .45 ACP might not be such a good idea.
In fact, they could be a very BAD idea.

jdmcomp
September 17, 2012, 09:19
Just to add to the discussion, the conversion shown on Gunblast seems like a good idea, but is expensive and somewhat lacking. The long bullet jump from the much shorter ACP case (or Autorim) will affect accuracy somewhat, which is already less then stellar in this gun. (No rear sight to speak of). 45 Colt brass is easy to find and will last forever with this guns load level. I also suspect that the machining will cause some slop in the cylinder backplate dimension that may result in further loss of accuracy.

The cost of the conversion is roughly $250 once you purchase what is needed to use clips and I do have several clip loading 45s and know that the tools are needed. I simply do not see any advantage in the conversion. A speed loader will make the Colt round as quick to load Use the 250 to buy bullets and brass.

Timber Wolf
September 17, 2012, 10:16
I am using Trail Boss exclusively these days for all my old big bore non-magnum boomers. Like .38-40, .44 Special, and especially .45 Colt. I have no special insight nor have I done any extensive testing nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I am just conservative and like the load density.

Ranger44
September 17, 2012, 14:15
A lot of good info here, thanks.
Funny thing is I never intended to get a Schofield, I was looking to get a Ruger Vaquero that comes with both 45LC and 45acp cylinders. Just wanted a pistol to go with the 92 carbine.
However, after handling the Schofield it seems to fit my hand better then the Ruger and the fact that reloading is much faster is a big plus for me. I also found out that you can use a HKS #29 speedloader with the Schofield, have to be sure I mark the ones that use 45LC so I don't mix them with my .44 mag ones.:biggrin:

bykerhd
September 18, 2012, 07:28
I would think .45 ACP/.45 Schofield would be less of a problem than the .45 ACP/.45 Colt as far as bullet jump goes anyway.
Assuming the length of the Schofield's cylinder is less than the .45 Colt versions anyway.

I've handled the S & W Schofields and like them, but I wish they offered a non-traditional model with adjustable sights.
Actually, with adjustable sights, I would also want it in non-traditional .45 Colt.:wink: