PDA

View Full Version : A good day buying old guns at the show

Timber Wolf
September 10, 2012, 09:42
The thread about the FHP Model 28 S&W got me to thinking about finding another 4" 28. To be honest, I have been on the hunt since not long after I let my other one slip away many, many years ago. Last Friday I just had a feeling I was going to find one at Saturday's show. I can't explain it, I just did. And I did in fact find one and it was on the table of guy I know who routinely trades in really nice examples of older handguns, both semi-auto and revolvers.

He is usually walking around with a few private sale pieces but this past show he was sub-letting the table of a regular who did not feel like setting up. He had a really nice 4 Model 28-2 with only a small rub at the muzzle and fitted with Houge grips. I would have preferred to buy it with the factory stocks but would have taken them off in favor of Houges for shooting anyway. His asking price was too high but he accepted my offering price which while still a little high considering the absence of the factory grips, was OK for a gun in such good condition. Feeling pretty good after filling a long empty slot in the collection, but having spent most of my cash, I continued to look anyway.

A ways over on the table of high-volume dealer I find a very nice stainless Ruger Speed Six in 9mm. I already have one, purchased last year from a local pawn shop but this one is much nicer, and priced right to boot! I did not have the cash but this guy would take plastic so I bit. I knew from past dealings that he would come off the sticker price so after a little haggle and tax, call in, and he gigged me for the credit card fee, I still walked away at what I thought was a very good price on a somewhat rare piece. Even got some third, half, and full moon clips in the deal. Now I can be a two-gun man for that quick New York reload toting Speed Six 9mm revolvers!

I walked out with not one but two 30+ year old revolvers in very good condition at prices I was happy to pay. Also got a nice set of Pachmayer Professional Grippers for my Colt Official Police and a factory mag for my S&W 645. Oh happy day!

And just to get it out of the way: THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS! And I am working on that, the man is coming day after tomorrow to install hi-speed internet at the house. I will then be able to upload pictures.
After all these years I am finally moving from dial-up into the new age!:rolleyes:

W.E.G.
September 10, 2012, 10:55
And just to get it out of the way: THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS! And I am working on that, the man is coming day after tomorrow to install hi-speed internet at the house. I will then be able to upload pictures.
After all these years I am finally moving from dial-up into the new age!:rolleyes:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FPu_G-T28iU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jdmcomp
September 11, 2012, 07:06
Know the feeling, been looking for a Mod 10 with a 4" heavy barrel. Found a retired local city policeman who had one he purchased unfired from the department when they switched to Glocks. I have it now, a bit high priced, but still unfired. Pinned barrel dash 6 model. Gun shows do produce once and a while.

MAINER
September 11, 2012, 09:18
Congrats! A nice old "N" frame S&W would make my day too! :love:

A problem I have with old guns is, they don't have old prices. :(

zedsdead
September 12, 2012, 20:30
Know the feeling, been looking for a Mod 10 with a 4" heavy barrel. Found a retired local city policeman who had one he purchased unfired from the department when they switched to Glocks. I have it now, a bit high priced, but still unfired. Pinned barrel dash 6 model. Gun shows do produce once and a while.

And I thought I was the only one on the prowl for one of those old gems...