PDA

View Full Version : Sub Sonic .22lr?

easttex
September 09, 2012, 18:53
Hi all,

Quick question: what are you guys doing with sub sonic .22lr? Hunting? Target shooting?

ByronF
September 09, 2012, 20:58
Shooting stuff out of my garden without getting phone calls from nosey neighbors.

fnogger
September 09, 2012, 22:36
Target shooting, informal competitions. If I had rights to a private piece of property for small game hunting, that too...

ALL FAL
September 10, 2012, 05:38
I've taken pests, wild meat, pass shoot dragonflies, Hehe, targets out to 100yds, simply alot of fun to shoot them. I started on cb caps as a kid, they kick azz over any pellet gun.:)

Hebrew Battle Rifle
September 10, 2012, 11:50
Nothing. I have a brick that I bought more than 5 years ago that is just collecting dust.

easttex
September 10, 2012, 13:23
All - I was under the impression that subsonic rounds would not carry enough energy to take small game? I've tried CB Longs before to no avail.

Which ammunition are you using for hunting purposes?

fnogger
September 10, 2012, 22:36
All - I was under the impression that subsonic rounds would not carry enough energy to take small game? I've tried CB Longs before to no avail.

I'd not hesitate to use any subsonic "normal" load - IE, a 36 to 40 grain bullet moving at 1000 to 1080 fps on squirrel or rabbit under any normal circumstance. I'd consider the CCI Quiet (40grn at 710fps) on squirrels, birds, etc. at 25 yards or less.

ALL FAL
September 11, 2012, 00:34
Easttex, Fnogger has it about right on the small game and birds out to 25yds and a few more if needed, big rattlers fall easy with them. The older Mossberg .22 rifles love cb's , more twist per inch puts a good spin on a heavy, slow bullet.

fredjones
September 21, 2012, 03:16
gem tech subsonic ammo is awesome and with a suppressor supper duper quiet i shoot rabbits, whistle pigs and squirrels all day long

LaConservationist
September 21, 2012, 13:13
Shooting stuff out of my garden without getting phone calls from nosey neighbors.

With the CCI SS included with a 6" screw on device.....makes the perfect squirrelnator.....:p eliminating social visits from the local po-po!!!:bigangel:

LaC

Artful
September 21, 2012, 17:57

Aguila 38grn HP subsonic

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=AU1B222268

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cApNHc-LtdU

LaConservationist
September 21, 2012, 21:25

WARNING EXTREMELY GRAPHIC!! NOT CHILD or WIFE SAFE!!!

EastTEX I am not sure what you refer to as "SMALL GAME" but here in the bayou we call squirrels "SMALL GAME" here is an example of CCI SS at about 50 to 65 yards.......again no matter the caliber or the round....its all ABOUT PLACEMENT!!!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-TvzqKSuF71c/UF0hO4Ny6lI/AAAAAAAAAk8/2Nz4CZ00Li4/s576/dead%2520squirrel.JPG

One SHOT.....ONE KILL!!

LaC

BlasterLP
September 23, 2012, 09:57
Aguila SS 60gr 22 LR ammo feeds excellent in both pistol and rifles that are suppressed and minute of turtle head accurate when plinking around ponds. Also good on small game out to around 50 yards in a rifle or better but I have never shot it out of any tack driver 22 to see just how good it is. It is said to require a 9 twist barrel to perform correctly but I havent seen much difference in the 9 twist or 16 twist, both shoot minute of rabbit easily.

The Aguila SS 38gr does not function/cycle in a SIG Mosquito worth a darn, suppressed or not, no matter which springs are in, but will run like a house a fire thru a Ruger 10-22 with either the 16 twist or 9 twist barrel suppressed or not, at least in the ones I have direct knowledge of. Also this runs great in a 22 LR conversion kit in a M4/AR15 upper.

For the money though, the best sub-sonic round I have tried is the Remington Sub-sonic hollowpoint round. I wish I had bought more than a case of it back when I didnt have any special use or need for it and it was a whopping $15 a brick. Pistor, rifle or 22 LR conversion kit this ammo has worked just fine for me. Maybe I am just lucky??

Timber Wolf
September 27, 2012, 12:06
While I have some of the Aguila the CCI CB Caps are the only ones I have actually shot. But I have killed several Squirrels out of the yard with them.

gunsmoke
September 28, 2012, 02:32
I have found the CCI LR to be unbelievably accurate in everytthing I've used them in. Quarter size groups off hand with iron sights out my three digit 10/22 at 50 meters are no mean feat!