PDA

View Full Version : S&W Model 28

mountainmoped
September 07, 2012, 00:18
I recently bought a S&W Model 28 that was a Florida Highway Patrol gun. The 28 looks almost new and shoots well. No problem when I shoot 38 specials, but when 357 magnums are fired it is very hard to extract the fired brass. Is this normal for the 28?

aardq
September 07, 2012, 00:28
Only ever owned one model 28, but it never had that problem. I suspect that it was shot mostly with 38 special rounds. That would leave a slight lead build up near the front of the chamber. No problem using 38s, but the longer 357 case would go past that lead build up. The fired case expands just enough to bind in the chambers.

Try scrubbing it with a bore brush to remove the build up and see if that cures the problem.

Good luck,
Dan

Ironhandjohn
September 07, 2012, 01:03
Only ever owned one model 28, but it never had that problem. I suspect that it was shot mostly with 38 special rounds. That would leave a slight lead build up near the front of the chamber. No problem using 38s, but the longer 357 case would go past that lead build up. The fired case expands just enough to bind in the chambers.

Try scrubbing it with a bore brush to remove the build up and see if that cures the problem.

Good luck,
Dan

+1....

FUUN063
September 07, 2012, 02:42
+2 Look in the chambers with a good light on the other end of the cylinder. They need to be super clean and shiny. By the way, I just sold my unfired in the box Mod. 28 a few days ago. Gun shop collector offered just a little too much for me to turn down! I got cash and three alloy Belgian mags out of it. Sad that it's gone, but I would not have shot it any way. I have others to shoot.

Leland:biggrin:

mountainmoped
September 07, 2012, 08:07
I appreciate the information. I will try scrubbing out the cylinder.

D P Six
September 07, 2012, 08:29
After you get the chambers good and clean do a visual inspection. I have an early Model 17 which S&W did not finish ream the chambers (A Monday gun perhaps). You have to hit the ejector rod on a bench to get the empties out. By the way, the Lewis Lead Remover is great for cleaning chambers and forcing cones. I'm sure Brownells has them.

W.E.G.
September 07, 2012, 09:45
when 357 magnums are fired it is very hard to extract the fired brass. Is this normal for the 28?

This will happen on ANY .357 where you shoot .38 SPL, and then follow it up with .357 MAG without having first scrubbed the living hell out of the chambers.

If you want to shoot gnat-fart ammo out of a .357 revolver, you are best served by handloading your gnat-farts into .357 MAG cases.

It has been suggested that you can wrap bronze wool around a .357 bore brush, and chuck the brush onto a short rod mounted on a power drill, to expedite removal of .38 SPL residue from .357 MAG chambers.

There is also the Lewis Lead Removal Tool, which is basically a set of hash-pipe screens mounted on a rubber mandrel, and also rammed into the chamber to scrub the lead/lube/carbon/copper residue out of the cylinders or the forcing cone.

Timber Wolf
September 07, 2012, 09:48
I recently bought a S&W Model 28 that was a Florida Highway Patrol gun.

Get out of here, a Highway Patrolman actually used by the Highway Patrol? Do you have legitimate documentation of that? If so, send that puppy back down here to Florida where it belongs. I will provide it a suitable home near the State Capital.:biggrin:

mountainmoped
September 07, 2012, 10:34
I scrubbed it out well and the problem is solved.

Thanks for the great info !

The serial # starts with FHP. It is one of these guns:
Twenty-five guns with 5 in barrels and nickel finish marked "F.H.P." (Florida Highway Patrol) #32 through #56 shipped in 1959.[1]

Timber Wolf
September 07, 2012, 11:24
That is a very special gun. The offer of a good home back in the Sunshine State stands. Oh, you can come visit too.;)

Robere'
September 07, 2012, 11:25
Wiping the drool off my key board . . . Be sure to clean off any powder solvent ASAP as it can penetrate under the nickle and attack the copper under coat. Pics of the pistol would be nice, I have a 4 inch plain jane M28 thats always shot very well.
Best,
Rob

tdb59
September 07, 2012, 15:12
A FIVE INCH MODEL 28 ?

The gods did smile upon you !

BUFF
September 08, 2012, 01:43
"The serial # starts with FHP. It is one of these guns: Twenty-five guns with 5 in barrels and nickel finish marked "F.H.P." (Florida Highway Patrol) #32 through #56 shipped in 1959."

Actually, that is not the serial number, it is an inventory or rack number. The serial number is the one on the flat bottom of the grip frame. The FHP 5 inch nickel guns were in the serial number range of S189701 to S192687, which is the rest of the notation you quoted from the SCS&W. Make sure you keep that number recorded, too.

You have a very scarce, fairly valuable and extremely cool Highway Patrolman there!

Right Side Up
September 08, 2012, 02:37
I'd like to see pics also.

Thanks!

Artful
September 08, 2012, 08:30
Did you buy a lottery ticket also - or use all your luck up with that one purchase :eek: