View Full Version : Ruger 10-22 Takedown - sort of review

September 04, 2012, 00:11
I picked one up about a couple months ago; to be honest, this isn't really my full review of it; I've got it roughly sighted in, and have just been dumping a mag here and there; nothing formal or serious, and nothing I would normally write a review on, but, it has been nearly flawless in function thus far; better than expected with low quality ammo.

I just had to share a scenario that I just lived out, that is why I bought this rifle.

I have been keeping the rifle taken down in my work car; I keep it there as I find myself in remote locales in the course of my duties, and often, there are small rodents for the plinking. I went out to grab my wallet from my work car this evening (about 1035 at night), and hear some sort of animal scurrying around in the yard. This is not unusual, and more often than not, it is deer. I turn the car on, and throw the headlights on, just to make sure of my surroundings; there is a raccoon running across the yard. I live in the county, and in this particular direction, I am shooting downhill into yard, and no houses for a LONG way, so I consider this my free fire zone. I quickly assemble the takedown, as it is right at hand, and throw in a 25 round magazine. The raccoon had been running full speed, and I expect it to be over the fence, lost in brush by this time. I turn on the spot light, and see glowing eyes shining back at me; stupid critter was just staring at me from about 30 yards. Okay; I can play this game. I take a bead on him, and I hear a ruckus above me....two more raccoons coming running down the yard from the other way; they run within 7 yards of me, on their way to their friend-o down below. I opened up on them. I hit one while it was at a dead run; could hear that hollow slap into the side of it. Then, they stopped. And another crawled out from under the fence. I now have 4 raccoons sitting from 25 to 30 yards away. The shooting gallery commenced. I likely missed once or twice out of the 8 shots I took after the initial whack, just the way it is; open sights in the dark = not the best shooting from me; but I know that I hit every one of them at least once; they all ran around eachother, so I lost track of whether I hit one 3 times or two times, but, it doesn't really matter; I had the most successful night in my ongoing campaign to rid the yard of raccoons!!!

I just had to share; I know the take down concept isn't new, but damned if it isn't handy to be able to snap a full size rimfire together in a pinch, and go to town on some vermine.

September 04, 2012, 05:51
I went over to a Buddies place to check out his new Take Down 10-22,
it has the Trigger Pack locked up. Seems like a very cool rifle but it's gonna
need a new Trigger Pack.

September 04, 2012, 13:12
I thought the concept was nice but the execution is really sloppy - the plastic stock mating is a joke.

September 04, 2012, 13:38
It would have been nicer if Ruger would have put on a laminated stock. I gladly would have paid the extra $50 or so.

Basically seen it is a takedown version of their popular all-weather carbine.

September 04, 2012, 13:44
BTW I've got one too, had it since Friday Aug. 24th.

The only thing I don't like is the fumbly bolt release lever and the trigger pack being mostly plastic.

September 04, 2012, 14:46
seems like a good idea but I decided to just stick with my Butler Creek folder. It's not perfect but darn good and can't be more than a inch or so longer than the take down.

September 04, 2012, 18:22
DC, according to Ruger it is 37.0" long.

September 04, 2012, 19:42
Take Down Length 20" per Ruger

September 04, 2012, 21:34
DC, according to Ruger it is 37.0" long.

Yeah taken down its way shorter than that. my ruger with a choate folder is about 24. thats the way to go.

September 09, 2012, 21:25
I took mine out to shoot on Sat 9-8-12.

For testing, I had rounded up 3 kinds of ammo :

#1 Federal 550 bulk pack 36gr CPHP

#2 Federal Game Shok CP Solid 40gr.

#3 CCI Minimag 40gr CPRN

After getting my red dot scope ( a Bushnell TRS25 ) adjusted, I was dead on with the CCI and the Game Shoks.

The Fed. 550 all went high by about 1.5 to 1.75", and was not a good group.

As .22LR ammo is cheap, I went for 10rd groups each time.

The CCI's were liked best by my 10-22 TD.

I might have done better with a real riflescope, but with the TD feature, the choices of scopes are rather limited. I'm not in any ways interested in putting a 12 to 15" long 50mm sniper scope on it.

One thing I've learned though was............ if you put on a rail for optics ( I used the one provided ) , put some blue loctite on the screws to prevent them from coming loose.

Mine loosened after about 100rds, and I did not fire any hot stuff.

So far I'm pretty pleased with my 10-22 TD, it is a nice gun for the money.

For the curved BX-25 mags, look for some good and high rests to put the gun on, otherwise they'll act as a monopod.

For a red dot scope, the Bushnell TRS25 works just fine. It is not too big, not too small, just about the right size for the rear stock / receiver unit to fit in the pocket.

If anybody has got a recommendation for a scope, I'm all ears.

September 09, 2012, 22:30
Thank you! I really want one of these!

Scott V2
September 16, 2012, 16:39
the reasoning behind the composite stock is to keep the weight down, it comes with its own backpack. It is meant to be packed.

September 16, 2012, 18:07
Playing with it and a Henry AR-7 Survival Rifle, I'd like the Ruger better, hands down.

It feels more............solid.

The AR-7 feels like a Mattel gun to me.

September 16, 2012, 18:24
Did you ever get the racoons and skin them? You need to freeze some of them if you shot four. You cook them down in a crock pot for hours. Then pour off all the fat - they have plenty. Then take the meat out and de-bone all of it. Pour off the rest of the fat. Then put the meat back in the crock pot with your favorite BBQ sauce. Cook it some more until all the flavor is set in. Makes good sammichs.

Have fun!

September 16, 2012, 21:09
I don't think it is a good idea eating raccoons, they might be full of germs and bacteria.

But, I guess, a Ruger 10-22 TD would be an ideal rifle to shoot them with.

September 17, 2012, 00:42
........I don't think it is a good idea eating raccoons, they might be full of germs and bacteria. ............

Well, yeah...that's kinda why you COOK 'em first! :D

September 17, 2012, 17:50
If you hafta, you hafta but I did a head shot on one of em a long while back and the blood stank something terrible. Meat is meat and a man's gotta eat and all but constantly draining off the fat and all is just crap. Untill and if the SHTF and one just has to eat a raccoon, just don't mess with raccoons.

On the other hand: I love the taste of leg of lamb BUT after the leg is crock potted you MUST drain off all the oil/grease. Lamb and I am guessing sheep fat/oil is disgusting. So I can see where lots of animals are tasty if you fix them right. There just ain't enough meat in a coon or possum or whatever to make it worth my while. I will drain the oil off a leg O lamb though. UMMMM delecious.

All you folks out there who have bought lamb chops and put them on the skillet and tried them and found out that it is really nasty, I can understand. I guess it really is all in how you cook something. Fried lambchops, YUK, leg O lamb in the crock pot with some Dale's marinate, YUMMY.

Well, unto each his own.

September 17, 2012, 22:05
I remember, when I was a kid, my grandmother would occasionally stew up a mess of 'coons for the family. She had 10 kids (who lived) and countless grandkids, and stretched granddad's coal mining pay packet by cooking whatever we brought her from the field. (I won't say we poached anything, but I will say there was fresh venison in that old farmhouse year round.)

She'd do the coons in a huge iron pot hanging over an open fire in the yard (same one she'd use to cook apple butter in the fall--and to make lye soap once a year), and I can still remember the smell of the fire and the sight of the fat she'd dip out of that pot. It was an all-day job, but when she was done, it was a rich stew in gravy thick enough to stand up a fork in. With thick-cut slabs of homemade bread and fresh butter...Man, if you ever filled up on that, you wouldn't turn up your nose at it now.

My only regret is that she took her recipes with her when she passed.
Of course, today no one would take that kind of time to fix a meal anyway.

Timber Wolf
September 19, 2012, 12:16
when she was done, it was a rich stew in gravy thick enough to stand up a fork in. With thick-cut slabs of homemade bread and fresh butter...Man, if you ever filled up on that, you wouldn't turn up your nose at it now.

UMM, UMM Good!