PDA

View Full Version : saiga 12 - range report / review

August 18, 2012, 21:56
had the saiga 12 about 6 months now, fired 2 3/4 slugs, 00, #6, 7 1/2, 4, fed, winchester, remington, low & high brass and i am impressed. keep a firm shoulder and it works great. i have shot slugs out to 100 m and whack the 8"x 24" steel plates had. very easy to clean, the puck and a small part of the gas tube is about all that gets dirty, breaks down ak style. this is the best all- around firearm i own, ugliest too, but i digress. now for some more mags...

J MOSBY
August 18, 2012, 23:46
It's my #1 for home defense. I like the factory 5 round and the ProMag 12 round. For me the 20 is too big and heavy for anything except fun and all those other ones are way too long for me. Have you shot any "low recoil" shells ?

mpnv
August 19, 2012, 08:15
I may be in the market for one. Describe the recoil. Is it more like a Rem 870 or a 1100 ?

August 19, 2012, 23:53
i haven't shot any low recoil, plenty of standard low brass hunting rounds, but it loves hi-brass slug & 00, which is my main usage. i do think low recoil would work that well. never shot an 1100, but the saiga feels light and has a stiff recoil like any 12 gage with hibrass ammo and the factory stock which does not have a rubber recoil pad, just a hard-ass plastic stock. it could use a nice recoil pad, but i really don't notice it that much, just wear an extra shirt. i haven't tried any 3", need to go to wal-mart for the long stuff, maybe try some turkey loads this weekend.