PDA

View Full Version : Best Sub Sonic Round?

mpnv
August 18, 2012, 08:14
Does anyone have any experience with a .22 sub sonic round? I am looking for something dependable for a bolt action rifle.

Sig220
August 18, 2012, 08:41
I use CCI CB caps in a 39a. No problems.

DYNOMIKE
August 18, 2012, 09:21
Shot some GEMTEC out a supressed .22 the other day and it shot/ran fine.. Very low noise of course..

I understand the Aguila, and RWS subsonic offerings are also very good..

crcksht
August 18, 2012, 11:15
The 60 gr. lead loading from Aguila is the best out there.

mpnv
August 18, 2012, 11:30
Thanks for the replies!!

fnogger
August 18, 2012, 12:02
My Savage Mk II BTV loves various sub sonic rounds....

For the longest time, my Go To for accuracy was Remington 38grn SSHPs. Unfortunately, they have lower quality control, so while I could get many small groups, lots were ruined by flyers - about 15% rate.

I've since found some Winchester 40grn TCHP sub sonics (load X22LRSUBA) , and they have replaced the Remingtons as my go-to. Very accurate and consistent.

CCI Sub Sonic HPs were also good, very consistent, but not quite as small groups.

RWS also makes a SSHP load but I've not been able to get any to test... gonna be hard to beat the Wincehsters though...

Another option is to try various SS loads like CCI SV, Wolf, SK, etc. and use one of the tools available to make 'em hollow points - check rimfirecentral.com/forums for "d-rock" and "paco"

mpnv
August 18, 2012, 14:22
Are the Winchesters quiet?

2barearms
August 18, 2012, 16:22
Although some here have mixed results with the Remington CeeBee
22LR's I have had excellent results. These are down loaded 22lr not
22longs and will feed from a mag. The others generally fail in mags.
Tube feeders are fine on either account. The CeeBee's are 38 gr bullet
and are very quiet from rifle barrels, they are louder from Revolvers,
they might cycle some tube feed semi's.

SPEEDGUNNER
August 19, 2012, 10:50
I have had good luck with the Aguila SSS Sniper Sub Sonic rounds, big 60gr bullet does damage to a groundhog, crow or snapping turtle, and they are pretty quiet (no crack) out of a rifle. I have had good luck with them for reaching out across a large pond, swamp or back yard, doubt they would carry any accuracy at longer ranges.

fnogger
August 19, 2012, 12:18
Are the Winchesters quiet?

If you want truly quiet, either go with a suppressor (if legal where you are) or try the CCI Quiet ammo.

Just finished some work on a mossy 44us last night, stepped out back and fired 3 rounds. Wife was on the other side of a sliding glass door, didn't even hear the shot. All I really heard was the slap of the firing pin and the smack of the bullet on the dirt...

1gewehr
August 20, 2012, 14:59
I used to use Remington Target Standard velocity as it was very consistent and subsonic from even rifle barrels. Lately, the quality has been lower and the price has gone up considerably.
Lately, I have started using the Federal AutoMatch. It is subsonic from pistol barrels and very accurate and consistent. I have not tried to see if it is subsonic from a rifle barrel yet.

skeeterbay
August 20, 2012, 20:05
A few years back I ran a couple of brands of sub sonic over the Chrony. I don't have the results anymore I can't seem to find them. I was using a suppressed Ruger 10/22 and a suppressed Ruger Mark II.

IIRC the Agulia Sub sonic 22LR load (either 38 grain HP or 40 grain solid, cant remember which right now) had the lowest SD of the brands I tried. They also seem to be the most accurate in my Rugers out of the bargin price 22 brands.

I have also had good accuracy from the remington 22LR sub sonics and they are just as quite when suppressed as the Agulia's.

If you want low noise and your not using a suppressor than I would go with something smaller than 22LR if your gun will cycle it. Unless your trying to kill a larger animal like a woodchuck or a racoon. Something like the 22cb caps Sig220 suggested work fine for target shooting and killing rats and squirrels.

You might also wish to try Agulia's 20 gain load depending on what you want the round for. They don't have powder just a stout primer. I have shot them a bit and they are about as quite as an old Benjam pellet gun on one pump. I THINK they run about 500 FPS. I know they shoot through both sides of a 3 pound coffee can and still go a couple of inches into a snow bank. I wouldn't want to try one on a big woodchuck but they would do the job on a red squirrel. One thing about them is they are slightly shorter than a 22LR and the bullet barely sticks out the end of the case. So they may not function in all actions. They will not work in any semi I know of.

catmguy445
August 20, 2012, 21:32
Fiocchi also makes a real nice subsonic .22LR HP that's specifically designed to be used in suppressed rifles and pistols.

skeeterbay
August 21, 2012, 06:23
Fiocchi also makes a real nice subsonic .22LR HP that's specifically designed to be used in suppressed rifles and pistols.

This has been an imformitive thread for me. I didn't know that Fiocchi made subsonics. I will have to try some out. Likewise I had never heard of the CCI quite ammo that someone else mentioned.

I think it was The Gman that posted on the board one time that over in England he had used a suppressed 22 on the rabbit problem there. IIRC he stated that RWS were the best 22LR shells he had tried.

ByronF
August 22, 2012, 05:19
Next range trip I want to compare groups of the Aquila SSS from my 1:16 dedicated upper with those from a 1:9 5.56 with the chamber adapter. I suspect the 1:16 may not group so well with that bullet based on what I've read but have not tried it myself.

skeeterbay
August 22, 2012, 06:16
It would be interesting to know one way or another if the faster twist helped you any. I don't know if I would dare try them in a can. I would be fearful of strikes.

Edited to add: Do you like the 22lr in AR style guns? I see lot's of 22 uppers for sale now days and all sorts HK type clones in 22.

skeeterbay
August 22, 2012, 21:05
Thank you for the link. Now I just wonder if there is that much of an improvement in performance with the 60 grain bullet vs the standard 38 or 40 grain pill. I will have to do some reading up on them as I have never tried them before. I guess for that price a person wouldn't really be out much would they.

denny
September 07, 2012, 22:01
RWS is without a doubt one of the very best rounds.
Very accurate in a good rifle.
Denny

moonbat60
September 09, 2012, 18:07
Would be a nice idea for a Ruger 10-22 Takedown :

One barrel and front stock with 1:16 twist,

another barrel with front stock in 1:9 twist.

Just put on whichever one you need............and there ya go.

:fal:

Pete