PDA

View Full Version : Combat Tupper Ware - Love it or Hate it.

jugrunner
July 13, 2012, 17:41
wonder why the "Glock forum" is the Only forum with this "sub-title" ... :wink: ... ???

just sayin" ...

I do wonder why so many peeps actually HATE the damn things ... ???

may be the lack of a safety ... ???? ... kinda like a cocked revolver with a real bad trigger ... ???

I'm just asking ... un-twist your panties and give me a good answer, please ...

garyd1961
July 13, 2012, 19:31
I only have one Glock a G22 police trade in. I don't love it but it's the gun that's with me most of the time. A Glock is not a pretty or fancy trophy to show off to your friends, it's a tool and it does it job really well.

VALMET
July 13, 2012, 20:35
wonder why the "Glock forum" is the Only forum with this "sub-title" ... :wink: ... ???

just sayin" ...

may be the lack of a safety ... ???? ... kinda like a cocked revolver with a real bad trigger ... ???

People hate it because it isn't a 1911....isn't made of steel and wood. It epitomizes a "modern" pistol and often people that feel that way have predetermined that Glocks aren't good guns.

spider991
July 13, 2012, 23:04
Most like the old school, classic 1911( me included) and have heard time and time again how it suks and "glocks blow up" and " glock toe" without having much experiance or any at all with the pistol. Some hate the idea of "plastic" guns....im not super Glock fanatic but i do trust my life to one everyday. What i do say to all the critics is spend some time on the range with one, at different yard lines with many dfferent types of ammo. Make an informed decision. Is it ugly, depends on your definition, but it works...and works well. Jmho.

4x401
July 13, 2012, 23:49

just sayin" ...

Yea, the "Combat Tupperware" phrase is gett'in kinda old. These days, every mother's son of a gunmaker is hawking the drastic plastic...Welcome to the 21st century Jug!:D

Since I don't wear "Panties" of any sort, I'll tell my story.....

I cut my teeth on a brand new series `70 Colt GM my mom bought for me at age 18. I carried that piece for 10 years. I sold it for hardship reasons.:sad:

Couple years later I aquired a G-21.

Honestly the grip was a bit large for my hands, but the accuracy I acheived with practice (and handloads), brought my shooting confidence to a level that far exceeded anything I'd ever expeirenced with my Colt.

Sadly, I blew up that first G-21 with a double charge of Bullseye:sad:.
My current G-21 has never lived up to that first (accuracy wise), but I keep on practicing.

They aren't pretty by a long shot. But if I have to pick a single pistol, thats the one I'd grab.

And BTW-
The triggers aren't that bad. Their pretty easy to master AAMF.

Right Side Up
July 14, 2012, 01:38
Kerrrr-Boooom. :D

AndyC
July 17, 2012, 11:43
Ok, serious answer. Actually, wI don't hate them (much) - it's actually a fine (tho ugly) pistol - it's the newbie users I dislike.

They buy their first pistol - a Glock - and then proceed to browbeat experienced folks as to why the Glock is totally "bad-ass" and awesum" and beats the crap out of everything else out there when they don't have the experience yet to actually know anything. Because Glocks are so popular as a first pistol, there's a lot more noise from that crowd than signal.

"Blah blah blah Glock blah blah..."

Now, someone who has been around - sure, I'll respect his choice and opinion - but the Glock newbies are like Arfcommers. Actually, so are many 1911 newbies.

SPEEDGUNNER
July 17, 2012, 12:20
I own a couple, but don't like to admit it. I was always a 1911 guy, with a strong fondness for S&W revolvers, and I REALLY like the new Smith and Wesson M&P's, but ya gotta give it to Glock - they shoot where you point them and they go BOOM every time. There is much to be said for the 19, 23 and 38 - all the others are just variations on the theme.

Don't love 'em, don't hate 'em, but can't imagine not having at least one!

stitcher
July 17, 2012, 15:45
The first time I handled a glock at a gunshop, I couldn't understand why someone would want one-a clumsy looking gun with an oversized grip. Plus the newbie factor "glocks are the best!" irritated me so badly it increased my negative perception of the glock. After many years I had the opportunity to shoot one, and was very pleased with it's performance, except for the large grip. I still prefered my springfield xd for ergonomics and having more steel parts and harder frame than the glock, but I opened my mind to the thought a glock was worth a darn. I love my 1911 and it is the most comfortable gun to hold and shoot, but it is pretty heavy and cumbersome to carry all the time.
All that being said, I recently aquired a glock 32 in 357 sig. I never thought I would do such a thing. Though it is not as comfortable as the xd, I am amazed by how light the 32 is even with a full mag. Sure the plastic doesn't inspire confidence, but the proven performance with the super lightweight really says something. This is a breeze to carry every day. I have actually been considering a full size model!
No I am not converting to a glock fanatic, and I believe the springfield xd is my favorite sidearm, but I am glad to own a glock.

mutter
July 17, 2012, 17:44
Why I don't like Glock is:

1. they do not lend themselves to natural shooting styles and they require massive quantities of practice to become even benignly accurate.

2. No safety! I have kids in the house and saying just don't pull the trigger is a stupid statement of safety when kids are concerned.

3. Unlike a prior poster, the trigger guards are way to small for my hand. I can force my fat finger in but I don't like having both sides of my finger compressed in a trigger guard.

Other then these personal issues they seem to be well built and extremely durable.

They're just not my type of gun.

stitcher
July 17, 2012, 20:21
For myself the safety is not an issue, for concealed carry I don't keep one in the pipe. If I was in a high risk environment I would carry my colt 1911 cocked and locked. Glocks definitely lack in ergonomics. If one was to handle every comparable polymer pistol on the market I would bet glock would be on the bottom of the ergonomic list! But it is a good gun and I like my 32.

aardq
July 18, 2012, 01:42
Don't hate Glocks, just don't care for them because of the way they fit my hands. Awkward, slightly uncomfortable, and just don't feel right. Same reason that I don't like several other hand guns. I have nothing against them and if they fit you, then buy and enjoy them.

bykerhd
July 18, 2012, 18:51
I own one and actually shoot it.
A G22 police trade in, like garyd1961's.

Works fine, goes bang every time.
What more could you want ?

I have other fine makes, models, etc. of pistolas also.
Grabbing ONE !!! to be my only, or even THE favorite ?

I hope not, for a few decades yet anyway.:wink:

stitcher
July 19, 2012, 12:40
Picking just one would be a hard thing!

acolonelofcorn
July 19, 2012, 13:51
For myself the safety is not an issue, for concealed carry I don't keep one in the pipe.

That is just plain stupid.

stitcher
July 19, 2012, 14:57
Let me explain why it suits me...
I understand all the reasons to carry with a round in the chamber, most importantly the close distance in which most self defense situations occur, and the precious time racking the slide takes in this situation. Which could have a drastic effect on the outcome of said situation. In a high risk environment my choice would be a 1911 cocked and locked, or for ease of carry an ultra light DA revolver.

That being said...
I live in the woods, and mostly carry to shoot the occasional day time raccoon or other rabid animal. And I have a fondess for autos. My glock is easier to carry than my 5" all steel 1911 so it gets the job. To me a loaded magazine and an empty chamber is almost an empty gun, so it's peace of mind to not worry about it as much while carrying.

acolonelofcorn
July 19, 2012, 23:49
You don't have to worry about it if you have a proper holster that covers the trigger guard. Safety or no safety, you treat the gun the same.

ALL FAL
July 20, 2012, 19:06
I would buy a Glock IF they had a model in .762X25:eek:

stitcher
July 20, 2012, 22:33
You don't have to worry about it if you have a proper holster that covers the trigger guard. Safety or no safety, you treat the gun the same.

I understand, but I'm the guy who has to check the oven twice before leaving the house to make sure it is off, and then walk back from the car to make sure I locked the door, and then worry about the house burning down while I'm gone.

nightschneider
July 21, 2012, 04:41
I admit to being a recent convert to the Glock lifestyle.

I have been buying, evaluating, and selling handguns on and off for the last 9 years; in all that time I have avoided Glock; every time I played with one, the grip angle felt off to me. I played with an older Glock 21, and felt like I was shaking hands with Bigfoot; entirely too big for me to want to shoot with any regularity. My friend bought a Glock 17, and I liked shooting it, but I don't think I ever opened my mind up to it; all the Glock fanboys, and mall ninjas pre disposed me to sort of leaning the other way. Then I see the 17L's that they started making again....I became semi obsessed; the 6" barrel 9mm just sings to me; I like the looks of it, and I like that extra bit of velocity you can squeeze out.

I shot my 17L. In 2 magazines I was shooting tighter groups than my issued Sig P229, which I've put thousands of rounds through over the last 6 years. I continued to play with my 17L; I can shoot it better, and faster than any other pistol I own; the thing just feels natural. I thought I would have problems point shooting, with the slightly different grip angle. I ran an IDPA stage for straight speed; never even looked at the sights; only dropped 7 points on 5 targets....so the thing points where I think it does.

I let my wife, who VERY rarely shoots pistols, shoot the 17L. She is 5'1" with small hands. She is not an easy person to find a full size pistol for. She put the entire first mag into the 10 ring; half into the X at 10 yards...about 45 seconds to dump the 17 rd mag. She loves the thing; can reach the trigger fine, and can hit what she's aiming at without much trouble.

I like the simplicity of the Glocks
I like the plethora of relatively cheap mags for the Glocks
I like the looks of the Glocks (flame if you must, but I like the utilitarian look)
I like the low bore axis of the Glocks
I like the nearly indestructible finish of the Glocks
I like the trigger reset of the Glocks
I like the dimunitive slide size of the Glocks
I like that Glock put 15+1 10mm into a nice, tidy, reliable package (the SF fits me well)
I like the price of the Glocks (suck it HK)

For my money, a 9mm Glock is nearly the zenith of current pistol technology for simplicity, reliability, ergonomics, and ease of use/ cleaning/ disassembly. It is my yardstick of gun value; if a pistol is $1000; that is about 2 Glocks...I better get 2 Glocks worth of performance out of that pistol...

after all the 1911's, XD's, Sigs, Colts, EAA's, HK's, Beretta's, and CZ's (still have a soft spot for CZ's), alas, I am become Glock fanboy...

spider991
July 21, 2012, 14:13

Holy crap, put me down for two,lol. That would be really nice.........great idea:bow:

Ironhandjohn
July 23, 2012, 18:54
The S&W fanboys will probably crucify me for this, but I traded in my 1982-dated S&W 49 Bodyguard for a NIB Gen 3 G26 this afternoon. Now all my handguns are in the same caliber, I have sights I can actually see, the gun holds twice the ammo as the revolver did, and I don't have a very pretty blued finish to worry about rusting off of the weapon. The j-frame was something small for me to carry every time I left the house, but not in a mouse-gun caliber.

Happy New Glock Day for me!!

:whiskey::]

NEWFNL1A1
July 23, 2012, 19:20
I just have a long history with 1911's. Love em, always loved em. Glocks are nice and I have considered one to put back for the future but finally got to shoot one, and the grip angle caused me to point high. I can draw and point my 1911 with my eyes closed, then open my eyes,...the sights are right on. I tried this with the Glock and I was pointing way up over the target. I could adjust with practice but have no desire to. (BTW, the XD points like a 1911)

I got my first one at 16, in my 50's now and the short time (8 months) I didn't have one, I had HP's and they point the same.

Just too old to change I guess..driven Fords my whole life too. :wink:

homelandprotector
July 24, 2012, 22:50
Get a Glock 31, 357. Sig, a better round then the 7.62x25. :cool:

Or a 32........

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy12/rz401/Glock_32.jpg

spider991
July 25, 2012, 09:14
Get a Glock 31, 357. Sig, a better round then the 7.62x25. :cool:

Or a 32........

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy12/rz401/Glock_32.jpg

Ya but I got a ton of cheap ammo for the 7.6225, lol. That 357 sig is expensive ;)

mpnv
July 25, 2012, 14:48
I have never shot a Glock. I don't know enough about them to say anything good nor bad. How would a Glock 21 compare to a HK Tactical .45?
I do not want to start a debate between Glock vs HK. I have been interested in the 21. If it shoots and handles like my Tactical I will probably buy one.

W.E.G.
July 25, 2012, 15:52
How would a Glock 21 compare to a HK Tactical .45?

Probably real close to the same.

If you are checked-out on your HK (shooting AND servicing), and you have all the spare parts you might need, there is little reason to trade if for a Glock.

I tend to get caught up in latest-greatest waves, and fanboy frenzy.

For a defensive pistol, you need range-time, training and confidence.
There is nothing magical or guaranteed if you simply go buy something new.

A shooter with a beat up old Ruger P-85 has all he needs if he has trained with it, and he has it in his hand when he needs it.

Truth be told I got into Glocks after folks made fun of my Ruger P-95. I think the Glock actually is a "better" pistol for various reasons. I still have a couple P-95's in service though. Problem is, if you wear your old heel-worn wallaby desert boots to every occasion, people are gonna talk shit. Even if you can still kick their ass.

stitcher
July 25, 2012, 17:27
I just got a glock 32 357 myself, it's a good gun especially for the amount of firepower in a small package. It is my new carry gun, but I still prefer the xd. The xd(I once had and traded for an 1860 henry repro)practically shot itself out of the box, and was built heavy for a polymer frame pistol. Having put about 50 rounds through the glock, it shoots well but will take some time to adjust to. The xd and 1911 are much easier to shoot for me, not to mention the beauty of an all steel pistol is prefered.

NEWFNL1A1
July 27, 2012, 15:16
Great commercial!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vsVCHE7ayPE?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

garyd1961
July 27, 2012, 20:35
Probably real close to the same.

If you are checked-out on your HK (shooting AND servicing), and you have all the spare parts you might need, there is little reason to trade if for a Glock.

I tend to get caught up in latest-greatest waves, and fanboy frenzy.

For a defensive pistol, you need range-time, training and confidence.
There is nothing magical or guaranteed if you simply go buy something new.

A shooter with a beat up old Ruger P-85 has all he needs if he has trained with it, and he has it in his hand when he needs it.

Truth be told I got into Glocks after folks made fun of my Ruger P-95. I think the Glock actually is a "better" pistol for various reasons. I still have a couple P-95's in service though. Problem is, if you wear your old heel-worn wallaby desert boots to every occasion, people are gonna talk shit. Even if you can still kick their ass.
I like my G22 but I wouldn't ever get rid of my 2 P95's. The most under rated pistol ever made.

hagar
July 27, 2012, 22:57
I started out a Glock hater. And a 1911 hater. The first Glock 17 I shot way back in 1992 was so inaccurate, made me hate them even more. And believe me, I could shoot handguns pretty well back then. The 1911 I despised because it is such a clumsy unreliable pistol with a cartridge that is ballistically inferior. Never saw any handguns jam like 1911's, every year my varmint hunting club had a shooting match and the 1911's jammed like crazy, almost every one of them. Every kind of make and price range.

Some awesole with a G17 snickered at my little Firestar at the range, I made him a little bet that I could put more shots in the black, offhand, at 25 yards than he could. Wasn't even close, think I had 9 out of 10, he had 2. I was then firmly convinced that Crocks were just that.

Fast forward to 1996. I really wanted to buy a 10mm, and I almost considered a Delta Elite, but bought a Glock 20. Did not expect much, but I figured I could always sell it if it could not shoot. Met my expectations and then some. So much so that I bought a G26 to replace my Firestar. The Firestar had a trigger job by Accuracy Speaks, fantastic trigger pull, but a little light for a carry gun. Twice I took the Firestar out of the holster, and the safety was off, scared me a little. The G26 I could mexican carry, and they almost carried away 3 little messican gang bangers that tried to rob me at a Walmart store in Phoenix. Then I bought a G23, was my first 40 caliber and neither the round nor the G23 impressed me, ended up selling it. Poor accuracy and a snappy recoil. Bought a 40 Sigma on a pure whim, liked the Sigma a lot, and it shot a lot better than the 40 Glock. Sigmas get a lot of negative feedback, but mine has been extremely reliable, and very accurate. Also had a 40 Sig 229, and to be honest, the Sigma shot better than the Sig. My 357 Sig 229 shot rings around it's 40 caliber brother. So I warmed up slowly to the Glock, but for the most part I never carry them. I prefer the Kahr CW9 these days backed up with a 17 shot 9mm Sigma in my glove box.

Anyway, I'm rambling, but one thing I have noticed is that most beginner or average shooters cannot shoot a Glock or Sigma worth chit. Never shot any pistol competitions, because I did not need to, I got into rifle competitions because I wanted to improve my rifle shooting.

The one thing that I like about the plastic fantastic pistols are the lack of external features, makes for a much smoother grip and they are for the most part, much lighter than conventional pistols. I absolutely despise DAO pistols, but like the striker fired ones.

Never owned a 357 Glock, but a friend of mine had a G32, and I liked it a lot. Not sure why I never bought one, as I own a 357 229 and 239, and also a 357 Sigma (yes, they did make about 2000 of them).

I still don't own a 1911...:angel:

g reeves
August 03, 2012, 08:49
I own a G 17 3 gen 9mm and a 1911 and I love them both. The G 17 is a great gun to plink with and the ammo is cheap which is another reason to own it. I tried many hand guns down at the range in 9mm and to me the G 17 fitted my hand. My wife who comes down to the range at times with me also likes the G 17 as the 1911 is to big for her small hands.
The only modification that I have done to my G 17 is fitted a Tungsten rod with heavier spring which makes the recoil alot easier and deffinatly worth doing on any Glocks

Celt
August 08, 2012, 22:44
Was not a Glock fan until a couple of years ago. Now it's my go.

The hardest part of learning to shoot the Glock was that I had to re-learn how to hold the pistol, coming from a 1911 and Hi-Power background.

Once I learned and was able to hit what I was aiming at I never looked back.

Jen
August 18, 2012, 14:45
Name one other pistol out there that you can easily get (drop in) replacement parts for, that is as simple to work on, and you can replace everything in the gun with new parts (except the slide, frame and barrel) for around $100. Another upside is that a large number of parts are compatible with a large number of different models or models within the same frame size, ie 9/40, 10/45.

I love my HK, but good luck getting replacement parts for it. Yes, sources are available if you're willing to mail order from the few places that specialize in HK parts. I love my 1911, but let's face it, even drop-in parts sometimes require fitting and/or specialized tools to install. Glock - A 3/32 punch and about 5 minutes to completely rebuild the guns internals.

paul fowler
August 18, 2012, 14:52
I have owned and fired a lot of handguns over the years. I was introduced to the Glock during police training. At the academy pistol course we put probably close to 1000 rounds downrange in a week. I think for me it was a matter of becoming very familiar with the pistol. I have been shooting a G22 for about 16 years and have fired many thousands of rounds. Once you get used to the trigger (I put a 3.5 lb connector in my personal G22) it is great. Very reliable, as accurate as I am. Ugly as hell when compared to a nice 1911 or hi-power. As with a lot of things, most people like what they are used to and become proficient with what they shoot all the time. Anyway, very satisfied with my G22.

Kyrottimus
August 18, 2012, 18:43
I've owned a dozen pistols (Ruger--I still think they make the best .22's ever made--1911s, FNs, CZs, Taurus, Beretta, IMI, Sig, XD, etc.) before I bought my first Glock three years ago. Now Glocks are all I own. Fits my hand like it was made for it. I get the feeling I have the same hands as Gaston Glock.

Its grip angle lends itself to a combat shooting stance (isosceles). If you are stuck on the weaver stance, look elsewhere. Once you realize the first stage of the trigger is really the safety (well, 1 of the 3 safeties it has), and the "wall" is really where the trigger starts (and resets) you'll have no problem shooting bottle caps at 15 yards if you hold a steady sight-picture and pull the trigger while keeping it.

If you don't like that it doesn't have a manual safety, don't keep a round in the chamber or use trigger locks if you're too lazy to teach your children about firearms. I grew up knowing exactly where all my father's firearms were and how to use them. I also knew the consequences if I disobeyed him; especially regarding firearms.

It's not a 1911. Don't try to shoot it like a 1911. It's an accurate pistol. If you shot one and you thought it wasn't accurate, you were doing it wrong...plain and simple. With good ammo, I'll put any of my glocks up against any other combat pistol out there for accuracy.

Anyone who tries to shoot a Glock from the full-forward "safety" position will have sh*tty groups. If you properly "prep" the trigger to the "wall" and shoot from there, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

My only real complaint about Glocks is their factory sights. They're fine for basic use, but I just wish the rear sight had some kind of cocking shelf on it (and wish they were steel). Oh well, switching out sights isn't that expensive in the long run.

August 22, 2012, 22:54
my g27 is my ccw pistol, reliable, rustproof, accurate, hideable, fairly powerful, uses 10, 13, 15 rd mags, i think its beautiful, the result of thousands of years of tech advances, engineering, and hard learned lessons. i think john m browning would approve of glocks, which are based on his designs.

crcksht
August 23, 2012, 11:13
Maybe they tried a buddy's Glock and couldn't get the hang of the trigger, or maybe they read some story about an idiot who hasn't learned to practice trigger control shooting himself in the foot. For the most part, people who criticize Glocks have either no or very little experience with them and criticize them because the Glocks work just as well if not better than their latest techno-wiz-bang whatever which cost them much more than a Glock and is probably less reliable.

EinheitElf
August 24, 2012, 12:25
I am left handed and have small hands and the glock works for me.... period. I have gotten so i can use my trigger finger to do the mag release and the slide lock.
Of course having said that you DO need to have a bit more 'mental capacity' or 'mental awareness' as to where your trigger finger is AT ALL TIMES... ;):biggrin:

people who have to finger and thumb everything dont like glocks.:cry::cry::p

BUT WHATS THE SAYING... HATERS GONNA HATE.. :p

of course I also like lugers,P38'S , cz52's broomhandles and other 'odd' pistols..:biggrin:

Besides if Glocks are sooooo shitty.... why is the mechanism and the basic design and look copied so much... hate the original but love the copies???? Whiners and they dont want to admit defeat that they have in fact been assimilated...

SPEEDGUNNER
August 25, 2012, 09:00
+1 on .357SIG.

I have a full-size M&P .40/.357SIG and it is amazing. Accurate, not that hard to shoot in this platform, and VERY accurate. And that is in EITHER caliber. One pistol, two barrels, shares mags and internals, never a hiccup.

kihnspiracy
August 25, 2012, 12:05
I love their 9mm pistols. I have 2 Glock 34's with 10-8 sights. They are my favorites. I shoot them more than any other pistol I own.

partisan50
August 26, 2012, 10:28
Kerrrr-Boooom. :D

That's why I avoid the 40 model! :uhoh:

aardq
August 26, 2012, 14:34
An update on my comment #12. A few days ago I fired a Glock 26. On the comfort side, the gun doesn't fit my hand very well, but on the practical side, I found the trigger was very good, and the gun shot to the same point of impact every time. Groups weren't too good, but that's because of my unfamiliarity with he gun. The gun was easy to shoot and the recoil wasn't very noticeable. My comment about the gun not being comfortable in my hands still stands, but let me add that when firing the gun no discomfort was noticed.

Dan

ETA: Based on the performance of this pistol, I would consider buying a Glock if I was in the market for a pistol.

spider991
August 26, 2012, 14:46
That's why I avoid the 40 model! :uhoh:

idiotic statements not based on facts, here is some real world(not internet) experiance from a glock armorer, we have been using -issuing the 40cal mod 22 and 23 for the last 16 years, thousands and thousands and thousands of rounds-from hardball, speer,lawman practice, to frangible to hydroshoks to 155 gold dots to 180g gold dots all perfect....wonder if half the police departments or more in the US would be using a gun that went KERR-BOOM all the time, or at all....go back to the 1911 page..

partisan50
August 26, 2012, 18:01
idiotic statements not based on facts, here is some real world (not internet) experiance from a glock armorer, ..

It is a FACT that most of the Glocks that KB'ed were 40 cal models and another FACT the main reason why the police use Glocks is PRICE or in the case of Suffolk County police department, and I am sure there are others, their decision was based on their department armorer being a Glock reps and picking the Glock so they would receive a kick back. Oh yeah and if they would have properly designed a heavier frame for the 40 instead of sticking a 40 tube into a 9mm frame maybe they would not have had the KB issue.

And that was the first police department to have an issue with their Glocks shooting bursts on loading which led to the famous recall back in or around 1990-1991. I know civies that bought Glocks that received brand new guns because of that recall.

Go back to Arfcom and wave your Glock armorer flag over there.

spider991
August 26, 2012, 21:10
First, the decision to get glocks was one made by the range staff, swat and department heads after testing and evaluation of several different autos at the time. Staff chose the best firearm they thought would work for a larger department even after the mayor said "why buy austrian guns when we have a perfectly good gun maker here in ohio(hi point)"...second "go to arfcom"..not an arf com guy, dont own an arf...and besides wouldnt this place be the place to wave a glock flag? its a glock forum, your the troll going to a glock specific page and bashing glocks. but it is what it is so I'm out..be well my friend.

Hoot G
August 27, 2012, 01:57
I don't hate Glocks, but I want to retch every time I see their "Glock Perfection" ads. It's far from perfect. It's a good tool, no doubt, but that's all it is. It isn't the best, it isn't the worst. There is no "Best" handgun for all circumstances, or individuals.

Oh, and about that '65% LE uses Glock?' Glock sold them cheap, to make a name for themselves. That's fine, but it's a marketing ploy for the bean counters. Maybe it is the "best" gun for LE, I dunno, I've heard a lot about AD's from the troops. Also, let's talk about that NYPD shooting. Two cops, 16 rounds; 1 dead perp, 9 wounded civilians. The perp never got off a shot. Somehow, I just don't care what LE is using these days.

Over the years I've owned one 17 and three 19's. Every one shot well, but I had to concentrate on what I was doing. With a Hi Power, we are one. Maybe it's because I've owned HP's since I was 15 (40+ years), or because it was the first semi-auto I ever shot. Whatever, the HP is my go-to. That said, a Colt Rail Gun sits on my night stand, and if the weather is too hot to carry a HP, I carry a Kel-Tec PF-9. :eek:

NEWFNL1A1
August 27, 2012, 07:57
With a Hi Power, we are one. Maybe it's because I've owned HP's since I was 15 (40+ years), or because it was the first semi-auto I ever shot. Whatever, the HP is my go-to. That said, a Colt Rail Gun sits on my night stand, and if the weather is too hot to carry a HP, I carry a Kel-Tec PF-9. :eek:

I've had an almost the exact same experience w/ Colt 1911's starting at 17 (35 years). :beer:

ftierson
August 27, 2012, 13:12
The Glock is the finest combat handgun in the world.

If you don't agree with that statement, you probably think that some other handgun is a better combat handgun but you'd be wrong... :)

On top of other comments here, Glock is great at supporting their product.

You can send an old G17 (or any other model) slide to Glock and for $57 they'll install new tritium night sights and mail it back to you. Try that trick with other manufacturers...

And that's just one example of their good service/support...

Forrest

Kyrottimus
August 27, 2012, 15:00
If you have a ND with a Glock, you're probably too stupid to use one. If you need an "idiot-switch" on your handgun (a manual safety) for any reason, get a different gun that has it.

A Glock is what it is. Don't like it? That's cool, more for those that do.

spider991
August 27, 2012, 15:49
I don't hate Glocks, but I want to retch every time I see their "Glock Perfection" ads. It's far from perfect. It's a good tool, no doubt, but that's all it is. It isn't the best, it isn't the worst. There is no "Best" handgun for all circumstances, or individuals.

Oh, and about that '65% LE uses Glock?' Glock sold them cheap, to make a name for themselves. That's fine, but it's a marketing ploy for the bean counters. Maybe it is the "best" gun for LE, I dunno, I've heard a lot about AD's from the troops. Also, let's talk about that NYPD shooting. Two cops, 16 rounds; 1 dead perp, 9 wounded civilians. The perp never got off a shot. Somehow, I just don't care what LE is using these days.

Over the years I've owned one 17 and three 19's. Every one shot well, but I had to concentrate on what I was doing. With a Hi Power, we are one. Maybe it's because I've owned HP's since I was 15 (40+ years), or because it was the first semi-auto I ever shot. Whatever, the HP is my go-to. That said, a Colt Rail Gun sits on my night stand, and if the weather is too hot to carry a HP, I carry a Kel-Tec PF-9. :eek:

Hoot, agree 100%, i carry and trust a glock as do many, but it is a love it or hate it weapon not for everyone...If i had my druthers, I absolutly love my CZ-75, kinda like the love afair you have with the BHP, it fits me and shoots better than any handgun i have ever shot. It is my gtg. different flavors for the world..

Hoot G
August 28, 2012, 09:38
I think the "hate it" part is because of the attitude of the company, and the fanboyz. I get so tired of hearing that Glock is the absolute pinnacle of all things handgun that I want to smack somebody!

Same same with the AK fanboys. It's a good tool, but there are others just as good, or better, depending on the circumstances.

stitcher
August 28, 2012, 21:29
I agree with Hoot, I think "Glock perfection" and the fanatics are pretty irritating. The Glock is good pistol among many others that all shoot bullets reliably. That being said, I think there are many other designs on the market that surpass the Glock. Where some gunmakers strive to improve their products, "Glock Perfection" causes them to fall short. In my opinion, if they overhauled their products to compete with the superior ergonomics of other manufacturers they might really have something. Imagine a line of redesigned glock pistols for the new century! But as it is, I appreciate the Glock for what it is, but it falls low on my list.

crcksht
August 30, 2012, 20:07
The "Glock Perfection" thing is just a silly marketing gimmick. I don't think anyone, except for maybe a few fanboys actually believes it is perfection. I know I don't.

garyd1961
August 31, 2012, 17:52
I consider my Glock the same as my AK except in a pistol package. My AK(WASR) wont hold a candle to my Savage 270 as far as fit ,finish, and accuracy but if a group of masked men break into my house I'm not grabbing my Savage. My Glock ain't the prettiest gun I own but it's the one I would trust my life with if needed.

Kyrottimus
September 01, 2012, 18:30
Personally I have yet to find another pistol more ergonomic than the Glock. Then again, I have unique hand-shape I suppose.

PARA FN FAL
September 02, 2012, 09:14
Glock perfection isn't just marketing. It is a handgun with large magazine capacity that is exceptionally reliable. What more should you ask for in a real world handgun. They claim that 70 percent of law enforcement uses Glock. Is that because of a cool slogan or real world experience?

stitcher
September 02, 2012, 17:45
Glock perfection isn't just marketing. It is a handgun with large magazine capacity that is exceptionally reliable. What more should you ask for in a real world handgun. They claim that 70 percent of law enforcement uses Glock. Is that because of a cool slogan or real world experience?

Glock has indeed earned its reputation through LE as a reliable weapon, and it's widespread use has earned it a following in the civilian market. I would challenge that a depatment adopting the Glock as a service pistol does not reflect that Glock is the best choice period. I would guess the decision is based on Glock's reputation and the cost effectiveness of issuing it. For example, issuing the SIG P220 with an msrp of around $1000 more than doubles the cost. If a widespread survey of LE officers was done, say, each were given range time with a dozen service pistols from a variety of makers, which ones would come in on top?

Dan FS71
September 27, 2012, 12:12
Has to be the ugliest , non standard hammer I've seen. Fits the hand just like you would think a square block of plastic might and the weight of the lower reciever with the slide and barrel removed is down right scarry.

However, after shooting a friends and monkey fingering it some. A 19 is now on deck and I just may be able to grow to accept it some years down the road from now.

Just don't like them but my practical side won't let me go without one any longer.

TerryN
September 28, 2012, 01:55
I took a Glock armorer course 20 years ago, but didn't drink the kool-aid for another 10 years. When I bought my first two .357 Glocks, they were both in the serial number block that was being recalled. At the time, Glock's position was that they would replace effected frames without question for LEOs, but not for civilians. 'If it breaks, we might replace it.' That turned me off big time, and I immediately sold both of my Glocks and didn't even consider buying another one until my youngest son bought one a year or so ago. Glock eventually changed their position on that recall, but I had already sold mine.

Last week I bought a Gen 4 G22 largely because of price. A local gun shop offers a very attractive price to LE and military - even old retired GIs like me. I did the '25-cent trigger job' on mine, and have been dry firing it extensively trying to become accustomed to the trigger pull. I'll probably take it to the range this weekend.

To me, a Glock is a tool - just like any other gun. I find them homely, but I am intrigued by the design and the simplicity of replacing parts, like Jen mentioned. I think the ergonomics could be better, but that's true of most tools/guns. The Glock doesn't feel as natural in my hand as my BHPs, but it's roughly half the price. I'm going to give it an honest trial and decide if I like it. If I like it, I'll probably buy more. If not, I'll try something else - maybe an XD or S&W M&P.