PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 77/22 questions

moonbat60
July 13, 2012, 16:35
Hey guys,

I was looking the other day at Ruger's 77/22 series, especially in .22LR or .22WMRF.

Does anybody here own one or used oned ?

What's the accuracy that I could get out of it ? Does it require any tuning or is it good right out of the box ?

TYIA,

:fal:

Pete

jugrunner
July 13, 2012, 18:04
how good can you shoot ... ???

Jaxxas
July 13, 2012, 21:29
Got a Ruger 77/.17 HMR (Grey Target Model) that is just tits. Shoots way better than I can. It'll shoot sub moa all day with no wind. I added an aftermarket trigger upgrade.

moonbat60
July 13, 2012, 22:24
Thanks, Jaxxas.

Anybody else ?

ICU308
July 14, 2012, 16:17
Bought a 77/22 in 1985 . Still have it , still shOOts GR8 . Experiment with different types of ammo , and it will really shine . Plus one on a Volquartsen trigger spring and sear . Plenty of squirrels in the pot ...:bow:

hagar
July 14, 2012, 17:38
I have a 22 mag with the boat paddle stock. It shot the best (which was pretty good) with the Winchester 40 grain ammo. Most 22 mag ammo is copper plated, the Winchester uses real copper jackets. It would do a little less than an inch at 100 yards, nice round groups. Shot a few coyotes with it till I upgraded to a Marllin 922M semi auto, I liked the quick follow up shots it gave me.

moonbat60
July 14, 2012, 21:59
Unfortuneately Ruger does not produce a 10/22 Magnum anymore, otherwise I would have settled for that.

Pete

czech
August 06, 2012, 23:48
Didn't realize Ruger had discontinued the 10/22 magnum. I need to drag mine out of the safe and dust it off and see how it shoots. Mine is the lever action. Short throw but lousy trigger. I put it in the safe after I picked up a cz452 Lux 22 magnum. It'll shoot the eye out of a gnat at 50 yds.

Czech

SPEEDGUNNER
August 07, 2012, 10:15
77/22 is a fantastic rifle. My son won a Jr. Rifle Championship with a loaner froma friend several years ago, we liked the rifle so much we bought it. I liked it so much I wanted to use it on varmints and such, but he was so territorial I had to buy one for myself. They are out goto rifles for crows, groundhogs, squirrels, snapping turtles and the like.

Buy one. With good glass you can't beat it.

SteelonSteel
August 25, 2012, 12:48
I have a 77/22 R in .22 lr, this is the blued walnut no irons version, std barrel weight. They're fantastic little rifles with their weakest link being the trigger. They tend to be typical Ruger lawyered; heavy and gritty. I went to my local gunsmith to order a Volquartzen kit. He said he can match or beat that kit just by cleaning up my trigger. Sure enough right in front of me he took it apart and polished the engagement surfaces with just a few strokes and cut me light spring from his spring stock. Night and day difference, now I could shoot accurately while off of the sandbags where before I needed the bench and bags to overcome the crappy trigger pull.

I had him do my other 77/22KRS, the boat paddle stainless with irons in .22 magnum. This one actually turned out too light and I had him put the factory spring back in. It was safe as far as holding engagement, I just didn't trust myself in the woods with it frozen unfeeling hands with it that light. Just removing the gritty feel from the tool marks was more than enough. If I was just shooting sporter rifle with a .22 that trigger job would have been the ticket.

Other minor issue I feel they could have done better is the bolt handle length; it could have been longer and maybe with a slightly different bend as they can touch full sized scope's objective bells. I have to manipulate with finger tips while next to the scope. No problem just opening with the open palm and finger and shoving it back with the thumb/palm. Just fingers in full wrap will get pinched at the scope. My CZ has the same issue and is a product of .22 sizing and full sized scopes.

moonbat60
August 27, 2012, 19:53
Thanks, guys !

I went the other route and bought a Ruger 10-22 Takedown. I might just add a 77-22 to my collection later.

Pete