PDA

View Full Version : Idiots Abound

J MOSBY
July 13, 2012, 13:17
My wife's cousin, retired union bus driver from Los Angeles, and professional bum, left a Henry 22 rifle and some 22 "Long Rifle" ammo at our house for safekeeping about a year ago. Thinking he may not come to claim it, I just examined it, it's a 22 Magnum.

jugrunner
July 13, 2012, 18:05
My wife's cousin, retired union bus driver from Los Angeles, and professional bum, left a Henry 22 rifle and some 22 "Long Rifle" ammo at our house for safekeeping about a year ago. Thinking he may not come to claim it, I just examined it, it's a 22 Magnum.

send it to me and I'll fix it ... :biggrin:

you said Los Angeles ... ??? ... maybe that IS the answer ... :rofl: ...

NEWFNL1A1
July 13, 2012, 18:26
In a pinch, it will shoot those 22lr's.

My 9422 does.....

But in his case, I'm sure it's stupidity, not experience! :biggrin:

J MOSBY
July 13, 2012, 20:28
Well heck, I may be the idiot here !

NEWFNL1A1
July 14, 2012, 08:04
Well heck, I may be the idiot here !

Nah, a casual/new shooter (like your wife's cousin) probably wouldn't know that...I been shooting the 22 mag since the late 70's and just in the last 10 years or so figured it out. Works great but you occasionally have a hang up on cycling the action, due no doubt to the shorter cartridge. No split cases or anything. It works with 22 Longs too. I'm sure if you shot lots of 22LR's it might eventually cause chamber issues w/ lead build up!

I used my 9422M rifle, years ago, to "trim" a high limb that was rubbing an electrical line...I used 40 year old 22 Longs and they worked great. It may not feed right with the Henry as it may be differ mechanically from my mid 70's manufacture 9422M.

J MOSBY
July 14, 2012, 08:28
Is'nt the chamber diameter larger on the 22mag? I've never owned one because the ammo cost as much as 7.62x39. But I'm told does not make as much noise.

NEWFNL1A1
July 14, 2012, 10:31
Is'nt the chamber diameter larger on the 22mag? I've never owned one because the ammo cost as much as 7.62x39. But I'm told does not make as much noise.

Yes, slightly oversized, but it works fine on my rifle...I have yet to try it with anything else and only used standard velocity ammo. This is my experience with my particular rifle.

22 Mag is a very versatile round (IMHO) and used to be a lot cheaper. You can hunt squirrels, rabbits, turkeys and I would not hesitate to take a neck shot on a whitetale (under 50 yards) in a extreme survival situation. Lots of pistols in the caliber too. My Dad use to take seasonal turkeys at 90 yards (one shot) with this 9422M. He used solids and it punched neat pencil sized holes in them before they fell over.

I remember a case of highly successful poacher out in West Texas who used a silenced 22 mag Browning rifle and operated for years out there. LEO's had a tough time catching him as he always seem to slip away. Turns out he had ties to the oilfield and had a giant set of keys to gates, pipeline right-a-ways etc. The guy rode a custom muffled 3 wheeler and used an early NV setup to move. This was back in the mid to late 70's.

A good choice if you only had one rifle.