PDA

View Full Version : Glock torture test

SmokeEater2
July 07, 2012, 13:22
If this link has been posted before I apologize but I thought it was pretty cool. :biggrin:

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90

Bug Tussell
July 07, 2012, 18:38
That is awesome.

spider991
July 07, 2012, 22:31
That is why i carry a G21SF everyday and trust my life with it.

fal fiend
July 08, 2012, 07:55
i carry the 22, it works everytime/ like a ak,lol

L Haney
July 08, 2012, 08:17
I got a tupperware bowl, with the original lid, been in service for twenty three years. Beat that.

SmokeEater2
July 08, 2012, 09:21
I got a tupperware bowl, with the original lid, been in service for twenty three years. Beat that.

Yeah, But didja' drop it out of a airplane? :tongue:

homelandprotector
July 08, 2012, 09:40
Glocks are Hillbilly proof....... :rofl:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pS057lKUtCs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PARA FN FAL
July 08, 2012, 18:43
Glock is the handgun that everyone compares their handguns to.

L Haney
July 08, 2012, 19:04
Glock is the handgun that everyone compares their handguns to.

Get back to me after it has fought two world wars. And won.

VALMET
July 08, 2012, 19:17
I own several Glocks and have put around 20k rounds thru them in the past 8-10 years and have never experienced an FTF and can count the # of FTEs on one hand. My pre-series 70 LW Commander and Ithaca 1911A1 seem to have 1-2 FTEs every 75-100 rounds with various mags (and it isn't limp-writing either)! Maybe it's just my experience but you can't beat a Glock

SmokeEater2
July 08, 2012, 19:40

The way things are going it might get the chance. :skull:

PARA FN FAL
July 09, 2012, 17:04
1911s are great pistols but just a little out of date. Several companies are currently making pistols with heavy Glock influence.

perryturner
July 09, 2012, 21:11
Get back to me after it has fought two world wars. And won.So the Brits, Aussies, etc. should still be using SMLEs?

CTW
July 10, 2012, 12:17
Wow this is one tough pistola. Alot of folks hate them, but its hard to argue with this.

gaijinsamurai
July 10, 2012, 21:27
I love my 1911s, but Glocks (models 19, 22, and 30) are my choice for carry.

homelandprotector
July 10, 2012, 21:52

The report would probably go like this:

Well, the extra mag capacity (more then double 1911) sure help save alot of lives, and the reliability was outstanding, never failed to shoot, the accuracy was incredible.....even at long distances. Light weight was also a plus. :)

They should give the boys Glock 31's, 15 rounds of 357. sig kicks serious butt.

acolonelofcorn
July 10, 2012, 22:26
1911s are great pistols but just a little out of date.

"Timeless" does not mean "out of date."

I got rid of my Glock because it was blocky and crummy, and not 100% reliable.

VALMET
July 10, 2012, 22:37
"Timeless" does not mean "out of date."

I got rid of my Glock because it was blocky and crummy, and not 100% reliable.

Define "crummy" and nothing is 100% reliable.

acolonelofcorn
July 10, 2012, 22:44
Define "crummy" and nothing is 100% reliable.

Bad trigger, pointed poorly due to brick shape/bad ergonomics. They might please some people, but they are not for everyone.

moonbat60
July 11, 2012, 10:40
Glocks are for folks that can't handle 1911's, Browning HiPowers and such.

On disassembly, a Glock has got fewer parts / parts groups than a 1911 or other pistols. This does not speak for the IQ of the owner / operator.

I've seen a number of folks that can disassemble and reassemble a Glock, if it comes to a 1911 or other, they can't get it together.

Glock's design is in no way ergonomic............well, maybe only for today's mutants :biggrin:

The 1911 and BHP got better ergonomics than any Glock, and both designs are well over 75 years old.

Supported / unsupported chambers are another issue.

:fal:

Pete

VALMET
July 11, 2012, 12:08

On disassembly, a Glock has got fewer parts / parts groups than a 1911 or other pistols. This does not speak for the IQ of the owner / operator.

I've seen a number of folks that can disassemble and reassemble a Glock, if it comes to a 1911 or other, they can't get it together.

Glock's design is in no way ergonomic............well, maybe only for today's mutants :biggrin:

The 1911 and BHP got better ergonomics than any Glock, and both designs are well over 75 years old.

Supported / unsupported chambers are another issue.

Pete

And neither are as reliable (and I LOVE HPs).

SmokeEater2
July 11, 2012, 14:14

Pete

OK, The above part of your post is easily the dumbest firearm related post I've ever read on the net including everything ever posted by G-Kid and Gecko45.

stitcher
July 13, 2012, 08:02
I'm a fan of anything that shoots bullets reliably. I love the 1911 for it's history and beauty and prefer an xd to a glock for it's ergonomics, but a glock is a fine weapon. I've shot my buddies 10mm and other than being large for my hands it's a great weapon. Getting a glock 32 this weekend, love that 357 sig.

W.E.G.
July 13, 2012, 09:42
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/Glock/glockhaters.jpg

VALMET
July 13, 2012, 09:55
I'm a fan of 1911s and a BIG fan of Browning HPs but I've yet to come across a pistol with the out and out reliability of a Glock.

stitcher
July 13, 2012, 10:16
If you look at it from a cost point of view, an out of the box glock is at least as good as a high dollar or custom 1911 two or three times the price. Sure it's just a stock pistol, but it's a proven performer that fills the bill for us poor folks.

VALMET
July 13, 2012, 11:37
Give me a stock Glock 21 over a high-end 1911 any day of the week.

101ABN327
July 13, 2012, 12:05
I will never git rid of my G-17 Gen 3. It's the best pistol I've ever fired.

jugrunner
July 13, 2012, 17:29

That's my buddy ... !!!

there's a torture test on "Hi-point" pistols on youtube ... I can't post it from work ...

it's a better pistol than a Glock ... or anything else I've seen ... :eek: ... someone please find it and post it ... I'd love to see you hammer an empty 9mm case into the muzzle of your Glock and light the candle ... I wouldn't do it to my 1911's either ...

MACV
July 27, 2012, 13:15
This guy Colt is claiming he has an idea for a "Repeating Gun."
He says that instead of muzzle loading one shot at a time, he envisions a weapon that will hold several "bullets," and simply by squeezing the trigger repeatedly, he will be able to better Defend himself.

pistol5
August 10, 2012, 16:15
Somebody better go tell the Marine Corps special operators the .45 is out of date and unreliable before that $22.5 million purchase order clears!...........

xtremerange
August 10, 2012, 17:02

But it does speak well of the designer. :wink:

BUFF
August 11, 2012, 04:41
I bought the first Glock I found for sale in Utah, a brand new Glock M-17, full size 9mm. S/N is EA537, I bought it brand new February 11, 1989, from a gun dealer of long standing here in the Salt Lake City area, Golden Spike Firearms. I always get good things there. I took it apart to see what the hubbub was about and was amazed at how few parts there were and the simplicity of the firing system. I scraped out a good bit of the copper-colored grease the interior had everywhere and added some oil. I added a set of Trijicon tritium night sights.

Friends and I took a great assortment of 9mm ammunition to the range to see how well it worked. We put about 1,500 rounds of factory Remington, Winchester, Browning, Federal, Smith & Wesson, Lapua, Hirtinberger, Speer, Norma, which included commercial and milsurp of both full metal jacket to hollow and soft point, through it the first day. We had some foreign warm ball that had a FMJ bullet that weighed about 135 grains packaged in plain paperboard light brown boxes with not much printing on them. Almost everything ran just fine. No stoppages at all, except...

CCI's aluminum cased Blazer didn't seem to want to slide out off the metal feed lips of the Glock magazines. Dry, clean magazine and clean cartridges right out of the box caused trouble. The rounds would get about half-way up and forward out of the magazine before they seemed to grind to a halt before chambering. A fellow who had shot NRA Bullseye for years suggested we drip 8-10 drops of gun oil down onto the cartridge stacks in the magazines just before firing. This seemed to work pretty well.

After the afternoon shoot, I decided to try my own torture test. I would continue to fire the gun with commercial and military 9mm ammmunition, 50 to 250 rounds an outing, and keep track of stoppages. The gun would recieve no cleaning whatsoever. Every 500 or 1,000 rounds, I'd fieldstrip the pistol and squirt the contact points down with Break-Free or a genuine, old-world petroleum-base gun oil. I had bottles of that from Outters.

The only 'whiping down' of anything was limited to whiping the pistol's exterior after reassembling it from fieldstripping and lubing.

I dcided to see just how filthy the Glock would get from shooting it before it began to choke on the dirt and have any kind of stoppage Out of the first 3,000 rounds shot, outside of the aluminum Blazer which we quit using, we experienced two (2) failures. One was a Remington cartridge that had no flashole leading inside the case from the primer pocket. The other was some unidentified FMJ milsurp round with the bullet just really stuffed off kilter into the case. The cartridge wouldn't feed from the mag, and when the barrel was removed during field strip and lubing, the round wouldn't chamber by hand more than about a third of it's length.

A couple of friends took the Glock to shooting classes and informal matches. Gun worked. It went through my department's revolver-to-semiautopistol transition class of 3 days and about 750 rounds with no stoppages.

In the 23 years I have owned this Glock, I estimate it has had about 18,000 to 20,000 round shot iin it without being cleaned. It is filthy, caked with carbon products of combustion. Another 5 or 6 rounds of observably faulty factory ammo stopped the action for a few minutes each time one worked it's way into a magzine, but the consensus was the failures were due to bad cartridges, some visibly deformed. I understand that the aluminum case Speer Blazer has some sort of spray on it that dries to a very thin lube with the intention of making the Blazer ammo and Glock mag feed lips compatible but that may be just a rumor.

We used the same magazines throughout, mostly, all Glock-made, no aftermarket mags, the 3 17 rounders that I bought with the gun, 3 Plus-2 floorplate equipped 19 rounders and a 33 rounder intended for the Model 18 Machine Pistol. Occasionally someone used a couple of Glock mags of their own to speed things along, but the mags were all marked and numbered to track any problems.

I am amazed at how reliable the Model 17 is. Glocks are popular personally owned duty guns in my police department and I see a lot of them shot. I must say that the full size 9mm Model 17's are always the guns demonstrating the fewest stoppages. They run better than the .40's, the .357 Sigs, the .45 ACP's (we dropped the 10mm Auto from our allowable list due to lack of interest) and the really small versions of the Clock in all calibers.

If I ever get old, feeble, blind and weak enough to give up my Colt 1911 .45's, I might switch over to the Glock. At least they usually work.

L Haney
August 11, 2012, 06:45
It went through my department's revolver-to-semiautopistol transition class of 3 days and about 750 rounds with no stoppages.

I found this interesting and gratifying. Sounds like your department had some non-idiots involved. I would guess most departments didn't allocate this much time and resources to a transition like that.

BUFF
August 12, 2012, 18:21
"Sounds like your department had some non-idiots involved. I would guess most departments didn't allocate this much time and resources to a transition like that."

Actually, I would not make the "non-idiots" claim myself. Our range staff basically adopted the revolver-to-semiauto transition training of the Salt Lake City P.D., which was truly put together by non-idiots, rather than reinventing the wheel themselves. They changed the wording of some commands, like changing "make safe and holster" to "de-cock and holster", which I guess was to put their own brand on things. Kinda hard to "de-cock" a Glock except by pulling the trigger, which just makes the gun fire and re-cock itself. And "de-cocking" a 1911 would require lowering the hammer by hand over a loaded chamber, which nobody with much sense or good training recommends.

Still, our department's firearms training is better than most departments have. Our primary range guy does try, we have an excellent range facility, and there is always training and practice ammunition available. We just held a course for folks wanting to carry the 1911. The officers each shot almost 1,000 rounds in 2 days.

1MOR
August 18, 2012, 12:26
Still waiting for a Glock revolver. But then, ole Gaston ain't what he used to be.