PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with M-44 rifles?

lost
March 31, 2002, 18:30
I cant help but notice an apparent lack of interest on here with the M-44 rifles. I am wanting to buy one or two. lol. I notice the price is super cheap right now and ammo is cheap and plentiful. Seems people would be raving about them. Am I missing something?
Is there something bad about them? I like the russian laminated ones. Should I refrain from buying them? Any advise appreciated.
Thanks Andy

K. Funk
March 31, 2002, 18:42
While they may not get much coverage here, there are several members who "rave" about them including me. I have 2, a '55 Pole new in wrap and a '44 dated Russian. They are solid, fast handling and accurate, and of course cheap. I recommend you get one for sure.

krf

gman
March 31, 2002, 20:25
K. Funk
Where did you get your Pole? I have been looking and I don't want to buy one unless it is near unissued. J&G sales has some but they look a little "used".

CATM Larry
March 31, 2002, 20:50
I bought a Polish M-44, unissud from AIM Surplus and love it. It has a pristine blond wood stock, nicely polished blued steel. Great shooting rifle with a muzzle flash you could cook a side of beef on. :D

Larry

Dryfire
March 31, 2002, 21:36
I got a WWII laminated rebuild from AIM last year and a Like New post War from Interordnance. Both are excellant. In fact, the post war gun looked to be brand new. They are a screaming bargin. The Russian corrasive surplus in a can is very accurate in these two guns.

Tokarev
March 31, 2002, 21:47
I have a Chinese, a Hungarian, a Polish, a Russian, and a Romanian M-44 carbine. I've also got a Russian M-38. The carbine Nagant is my favorite military bolt gun. They are one of the best surplus deals going right now and you won't find a better rifle for the money.

Blood of Tyrants
March 31, 2002, 23:02
What's wrong with them? Nothing, unless you have something against cheap, accurate, hard hitting rifles.

awp101
March 31, 2002, 23:06
Originally posted by Blood of Tyrants:
<STRONG>hard hitting rifles.</STRONG>
The target or your shoulder? ;) :D

Hootbro
March 31, 2002, 23:40
Nothing wrong with the M-44's. Very partial to them myself. Every time I bring one to the range, everyone wants to know what is making all the racket whent I shot it. :)

http://album.gunsnet.net/data/hootbro/39_p112.jpg

skfullgun
April 01, 2002, 00:03
Nice selection, Hootbro!

The M-44's are my favorite. Cheap ammo, accurate, dependable, and a real "hoot" to shoot!!!

You won't hear much about them here because they are bolt-action.

Mosin Guy
April 01, 2002, 00:27
Nothing wrong with the M44,I just prefer the Earlier m91/30 to the m44,same gun basicly,but just shorter barrel's on the m44 and a folding bayonet on the m44,its still the same 7.62x54r round in both of these rifles.HTH

Hootbro
April 01, 2002, 02:53
Originally posted by skfullen:
<STRONG>Nice selection, Hootbro!

The M-44's are my favorite. Cheap ammo, accurate, dependable, and a real "hoot" to shoot!!!

You won't hear much about them here because they are bolt-action.</STRONG>

Thanks, I am very proud of this collection. Mosin Nagant are a very underated right now in the collectors world IMHO. Good examples can be bought for $50-$100 all day long. Ten years ago, people would pay $500 plus for some these rifles due to low supply.

Hootbro

masman
April 01, 2002, 05:27
FIREBALL! :D :D

1gewehr
April 01, 2002, 08:13
Nothing wrong with the M44 except they're too short for the cartridge (fireball, muzzle blast), reloading is clumsy, no safety, and a short sight radius.
I have several and enjoy shooting them. Ammo is cheap, guns are cheap, they're virtually indestructible, and they have a bayonet. We keep an M44 and 40rds in each vehicle as a 'truck gun'. Cops usually don't panic at the sight of an ugly old bolt-action.
1gewehr

Offctr
April 01, 2002, 10:03
Dammit you guys ! cut it out ! now I want one of these too which means another caliber of ammo and while I am at the gunstore I will have to buy one of those SKS's to go with it I was tryin to save money for a 1903 to complete my American small arms collection and now I am getting into the russian stuff. The cheap stuuf is to hard to resist. Dang it !!!!!! My wife is gonna have me commited.
Im hatin it cant ya tell :D

Ctrot
April 01, 2002, 12:14
Aside from being so addictive, there is NOTHING wrong with M-44's!!!
Get one, or two even!

mpl897
April 01, 2002, 12:42
Where is the best place to get a good m-44 that won't rip you off??? :confused: are those the kind sold wrapped in paper?

ByronF
April 01, 2002, 12:45
Originally posted by 1gewehr:
<STRONG>Nothing wrong with the M44 except they're too short for the cartridge (fireball, muzzle blast), reloading is clumsy, no safety, and a short sight radius.
I have several and enjoy shooting them. Ammo is cheap, guns are cheap, they're virtually indestructible, and they have a bayonet. We keep an M44 and 40rds in each vehicle as a 'truck gun'. Cops usually don't panic at the sight of an ugly old bolt-action.
1gewehr</STRONG>

To engage the safety, pull back the cocking piece and twist CCW a few degrees. The cocking piece should engage a detent. It's a clumsy safety, but a safety none the less.

Byron

Offctr
April 01, 2002, 19:57
Originally posted by mpl897:
<STRONG>Where is the best place to get a good m-44 that won't rip you off??? :confused: are those the kind sold wrapped in paper?</STRONG>

They seem to be all over the place right now AIM has em (www.aimsurplus.com) as well as SOG (www.southernohiogun.com)and the usual vendors from shotgun news JG sales (www.jgsales.com)and Wholesale Guns and Ammo (www.burnsbro.com) AIM seems to be pretty reputable and prices there are inline with the market most of the time. Check out shotgun news or Gunlist as well as cruffler.com

K. Funk
April 01, 2002, 20:34
Gman,
Got my Pole several years ago at a show. It was expensive then as it would be now, at $150. Of course back then there was no such thing as a $49 surplus rifle. However, the stock is flawless blond hardwood and the bluing is a deep rich black like you would find on a sporting rifle. One of my favorites for sure.

krf

lost
April 02, 2002, 00:36
I thought there had been cheap surplus rifles forever?
I had a 1898 mauser 8mm I bought in 74 . I paid 19.95 for it.I had to have
my dad sign the paper to meet the age requirement to buy it.It had a weird air
shroud?? around the barrel.I would gladly pay the 20 bucks to get it back today.I bought it from a company called Valor enterprises. I must have gone throu a quart of linseed to get the stock nice. I ordered it from the back of a magazine.Guns and Ammo
if I recall correctly.

donker
April 02, 2002, 00:51
I had one of the unissued Polish M44's, very beautiful to look at but it couldn't shoot worth #^#@. It grouped 12" high at 100yds and printed all over the paper even when I used a shooting jacket to tame the recoil. I traded it for one of the unissued Yugo m48 and am happy with the trade. I might get one of these cheap russian m44's eventually. I've shot a couple of them before, much more accurate than the new polish carbine I had. :( I'd rather have one of the Finnish M39's, much heavier.

Mortech
April 02, 2002, 01:08
I was looking for one and no one had one but I did find a M91/30 in the used gun rack mismarked as a mauser action rifle . It turned out to be a russian one with a near pristine bore , shooting it is a blast . Now to find a 8MM mauser something .

masman
April 02, 2002, 05:05
one thing to remember with the m-44 is to shoot with the bayonet extended.not only does it look cool.it changes the point of impact.the russians and the others sighted in the m-44 with the bayos extended.

bandityo
April 02, 2002, 17:15
I picked up my Romanian M44 today from www.floridaammotraders.com (http://www.floridaammotraders.com)

I have a Polish, Romanian and Hungarian. Once I get my Russian, I will have the BIG 4 countries!

I love em.....they are cheap, fun, and a very powerful rifle.

david
tampa

Hootbro
April 03, 2002, 02:22
Originally posted by bandityo:
<STRONG>I have a Polish, Romanian and Hungarian. Once I get my Russian, I will have the BIG 4 countries!
</STRONG>

Then you will need the Chinese T-53 M-44 copy to round the collection off. My T-53 is the bottom one in the pic. Unfortunately, they are not C&R. These were very common about ten years ago but have been scarce of late. Took two years of searching before I found a all matching mint T-53.

Hootbro

http://album.gunsnet.net/data/hootbro/39_p112.jpg

[ April 03, 2002: Message edited by: Hootbro ]

gman
April 04, 2002, 20:59
Well it's K. Funks fault he shouldn't have told me how good the Pole is, I received the UPS shipping number from Empere today, two on the way!!

GSF1200
April 04, 2002, 21:06
I've had several variations of the Nagant's, and none of them come close to Any Mauser! You can get a really nice Yugo Mauser for $89, it's ten times the rifle of any goofy Nagant!

Mad Dog 7.62
April 04, 2002, 22:13
SOG is out, Century is almost out....I did get a VG+ Hungarian from Century, it arrived and is very nice, very little wear at all, great bore. Looks like it never used much at all. I am impressed with how sturdy and solid the little fella is!! Nice gun for $55!! I also have a Russian re-arsenaled on the way from SOG. Anybody know who has the 440 rd tins of ammo (West Coast)?? Everybody seems to be out of it.

Mad Dog 7.62
April 05, 2002, 19:30
Originally posted by GSF1200:
<STRONG>I've had several variations of the Nagant's, and none of them come close to Any Mauser! You can get a really nice Yugo Mauser for $89, it's ten times the rifle of any goofy Nagant!</STRONG>

That's not the point....you have to have one of everything!! Yugo Mausers, Czech Mausers, Israelis'....Nagants.....Mas.....

hgjfkdls
April 05, 2002, 22:45
How do you tell the difference between Polish, Russian, etc? I bought a couple from AIM a few months ago and just assumed they were Russian. Maybe they aren't.

CaptainCandy
April 05, 2002, 23:19
How do you tell the difference between Polish, Russian, etc? I bought a couple from AIM a few months ago and just assumed they were Russian. Maybe they aren't. Hey hgjfkdls Check out the links they will help you to identify your Mosin-Nagant.
Chris
http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/arsenals.htm
http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/other.htm

lost
April 06, 2002, 14:33
CaptainCandy. Thanks for the links. thats
some nice pics. Had a lot if Identifying info there. I'll take one of each. ;)

Offctr
April 11, 2002, 10:45
Duooh! Had to go get one , ended up with one of the arsenal re-wraped ones for $109. the stock looks like once I get all the goop off it'll look really nice the bluing is 100 % getting the grease out of the chamber was a real bear though (no pun intended) thanks for the links otherwise I wouldnt a'thought I had the bolt back together right.

Dragged my co-worker down to the gunstore with me and he of couse gave in and bought one as well so we split a case of ammo while we were at it. something else to bring down to Falfest this year!! Dangit this is realy getting out of comtrolhow do I explain to the wife that the gunsafe is now run out of space and I have to expand ammo storage agian ?????

Got a chance to scope out a whole rack of the unissued Yugo SKS's that interordiance brought in while I was there and duuuuude! I know what I am buying next.

then Its back to FAL's I promise !!

Shoulda gotten a cheaper hobby like smoking crack or something like that or shooting heroin maybe but needles bug me.

I hate you guys and I mean that in the best way possible. :D

CaptainCandy
April 11, 2002, 10:55
Got a chance to scope out a whole rack of the unissued Yugo SKS's that interordiance brought in while I was there and duuuuude! I know what I am buying next.

I purchased one of AIM's excellent Yogo SKS's and it is a beauty. The bore looks unfired. You will be very happy.
Also congrats on the M44. I own 9 different Mosin-Nagants and I absolutly love them. It does seem that all the cheap 7.62x54R has dried up.
Chris

lost
April 11, 2002, 19:29
I'm still waiting on my c&r to arrive.
by the time its here maybe the m-44's and ammo will all be gone. Geez what a pity.
I'll have to spend all that money on something else.Maybe I'll go out to dinner
for a night.

Offctr
April 11, 2002, 19:57
I dunno the ammo was pretty cheap at 440 rounds fo under 40 bucks the case was just under 80 containing two sealed tins. evn new production wolf is less than 100 for 500 rounds and the place I was at had 4 stacks on a pallet with more in the back so I dont think that ammo is short yet but even so with a bolt action you shoot a lot less rounds anyway so that tin should last me awhile.

slv2fun
April 12, 2002, 00:22
uhh, sorry to rain on the parade...But 18 years ago, I got my '91 'Moisin Nagant in a trade, for a rusted out Pith Helmet, and two Revell 1/48th scale model kits.

Not to take anything away from these. they are excellent rifles. Mine in particular had an octogonal chamber, the Russian hammer and sickel in the star, and shot like a charm. not bad for a rifle that probably survived two world wars, a communist revolutions, and god knows what else. I was about 15 years old (thank you C&R!)

Of course ammo back them was rarer than a straight waiter in Santa Monica. So I was left with the buck a round, Norma factory ammo option.

And lacking a source for proper documentation, It took me about a year and a half to figure out basics of operation, like how to operate the safety and such.

I do agree that the Moisin Nagant are grossly underrated. good for you, bad for ...wellgood for you! :) These M-N are a real bargain. they shoot good, ammo's plentiful, they are strong and well built. can't go wrong with a Moisin Nagant!

Regards,
Originally posted by Hootbro:
<STRONG>

Mosin Nagant are a very underated right now in the collectors world IMHO. Good examples can be bought for $50-$100 all day long. Ten years ago, people would pay $500 plus for some these rifles due to low supply.

Hootbro</STRONG>

Peter Wells
April 12, 2002, 07:59
What's wrong with them? Nothing - just don't shoot a M38 or M44 from the prone position in longish grass during your dry season!

I have 6 in my collection (M91, M91/30, M91/30 Sniper, M38, M44 and Fin M39) and they are all great from a historical and shooting point of view.

mwolfe82
April 12, 2002, 08:41
I love the M-44 have quite a few now, even some odder variations that don't really mean anything special. I like the Mosin Nagant family though in general. Especially the M-39 and the Hungarian M91/30 Snipers. The M-44s are ok, but a little nose heavy because of the bayonet. I like the M91/59, better almost like the M-44 but without the bayonet and heavier barrel.

walruskid1
April 13, 2002, 10:14
the only drawback i know of is that they kick like a mule. must be getting more recoil sensitive the older i get. :rolleyes:

Bullet
April 13, 2002, 14:35
I just got a Nagant from Century. AFter getting it cleaned up I was thinking this is a light little rifle for such a big round.

Do your shoulders hurt?

walruskid1
April 13, 2002, 15:18
shooting my little polish carbine was like sitting at the bench and letting your buddy smack you with a 2x4.

Dryfire
April 13, 2002, 15:41
I have a near new M-44 that came from Interordnance. I also have a M-48 that is in excellant condition. They are about even in performance. I avoided the Nagants for years, but I have learned my lesson.