View Full Version : Looking for a silhouette gun for the 100 yrd range

June 22, 2012, 20:38
I was just thinking of getting into some silhouette shooting at the 100 yard range with my nephew. Anyone recommend a good bolt gun for the job? I was looking at the CZ 452 Thumbhole model...but I am open to suggestions.

June 23, 2012, 08:27
Kimber made a nice one back in the day - if you can find one.

June 23, 2012, 14:52
Savage or CZ, you'll be happy with either.

fire for effect
June 23, 2012, 16:46
I wouldn't be afraidto use an old mossberg, M-44, M-42, or even a Mossberg M-46.

June 24, 2012, 12:01
I use a fairly well modified Ruger 10/22 for smallbore silhouette matches, but if I were going to use a bolt gun, it would be either the Savage Mk. II with Accutrigger, or a CZ 452. Both are very accurate and will definitely get the job done. A Marlin 925 might be another possibility.

There are a couple of guys in my gun club who use CZ 452's in our matches. There are also people who use Winchester 52's, and one guy who uses a Russian Biathalon .22 rifle. I don't remember seeing anyone use a Savage, but I think this is mainly due to either some minor brand snobbery or a desire to fit in; about half of the guys who shoot smallbore silhouette use 10/22's modified for target matches.

One other choice in a bolt gun might be a Remington 581 (or 541 if you want to be a little fancier). They're both very accurate and have the fastest lock time of any commercially produced .22 bolt action. There are also 10-round magazines available for them, which is a time saver in silhouette matches. With a little trigger work, they'll shoot as well as any other rifle you can think of that didn't start out as a pure target rifle. The only problem is that they're out of production, and you don't see that many of them show up on the used market. People who have them tend to hang on to them, but there are usually some on Gun Broker if you can't find one locally.

June 24, 2012, 21:15
Yeah, I really like my Remington 541T. It shoots great. I am only recently looking for a different .22 rifle, but right now only window whopping. I was actually thinking of an Anschutz 24B or similar.

July 24, 2012, 16:33
I like my set up 10/22 Volquartsen stainless with AWC supressor. Toped with Leupold 8.5 - 25 50mm with varminter reticle. Set in Bell and Carlson adjustable stock. 1/4 min gun. with Eley or Lapua. Not bad with Wolf extra match which I use most of the time.