PDA

View Full Version : opinions

FALRifle
June 20, 2012, 16:45
I am looking at buying a pump shotgun. I used to have an 870 with an 18 inch barrel that was threaded for chokes. It was perfect becuase it was compact enough but I could still get some serious distance out of it becuase I could swap chokes. Looking back I wish I never sold it but it is gone and I am looking for another shotgun. I am thinking an 870 again or a Mossberg, either 500 or 590a1. Unfortunately I don't see anyhting with threaded choke in 20 inch barrels or less. Does anyone have a recommendation between these platforms and maybe what barrel may have a choke, if any?

weenlo
June 20, 2012, 18:51
Several gunsmith's in my area will cut and thread a barrel to accept Rem chokes for less than a 100 bucks. Never seen a factory 18" barrel threaded. I prefer the 870 over the Mossberg.

Snakeshot
June 20, 2012, 20:24
I have an 870 Wing with a factory 18" mag barrel, threaded choke and rifle sight.
Remington sent it to me new as a warranty replacement about 9 years ago, so they do make them. And I see them in catalogs as well.

870, none better. Mossberg, almost as good

ronpaulFAL
June 21, 2012, 13:17
870 and Mossy are both reliable and will outlast you. The major difference is probably the safety. If you prefer a pistol grip stock, the Mossy safety is less convenient since you can't reach it easily with your thumb.

I put an oversize safety on my 870P Max and it was the best $8 gun mod I've ever applied. I can now keep it safe, but can click off the safety even with my finger on the trigger. This is perfect for use around the home to avoid unintentional discharges.

catmguy445
June 24, 2012, 11:35
I favor the 870 over the Mossberg mainly because of the safety. When I was working in a gun shop a bunch of years ago, we got a Mossy 500 in from a wholesaler, new in the box with all the standard paperwork. So I took it out of the box and was going to put it out on display with the rest of the shotguns we had.

So as I always did, I opened the action, checked the chamber and magazine, then did a function check on it. WTF? When I put the safety in the FIRE position, the trigger wouldn't work. So I then put it on SAFE and pulled the trigger. And the hammer dropped.

OK, this definitely ain't good. At this point, my curiosity got the better of me, so I field stripped the gun, then took the receiver apart, and lo and behold, discovered that the Mossberg 500 safety (the actual little chunk of steel that blocks the trigger, not the part you move with your thumb) is symmetrical. That is, it can be installed either of two different ways. One way, it works normally, and the other way, it works backwards. And in this particular case, somebody at the Mossberg factory had installed the safety backwards, which reversed the SAFE and FIRE positions of the safety. The gun would fire in the SAFE position and would not fire in the FIRE position.

I turned the safety around and put everything back together, and sure enough, the safety worked nornally then, so that saved us having to send it back to the factory and wait several weeks for it to be returned, and we sold it shortly after that. But that incident really taught me a lesson. So now any time I handle a Mossberg 500, the second thing I do, after making sure it's unloaded, is to function check it and make sure that the safety works correctly.

FALRifle
June 24, 2012, 14:04
Thanks for the replies thus far. I have been a little tied up lately and haven't had a chance to check in for a couple days. I will be going out later in the week and checking some out and hopefully coming home with one. If any one else has opinions or stories to add, please do.

FALRifle
June 25, 2012, 21:44
I played and shot both> I like the action on the 870 better. Does anyone have any user experience with the the 870 express HD? I can get one for 350 or buy the Tactical which has tapped receiver and maybe a couple extra bonuses. Just want to see if the express HD is any good/reliable, etc?

ronpaulFAL
June 26, 2012, 08:33
My Mom has an Express HD and it's fine. The recoil is substantially more than my 870P Max, but it is very handy since it doesn't have the foregrip light. I think the recoil seems higher because it doesn't have a pistol grip stock to brace against.

I have heard that when they get hot the Express models can get shells stuck in the chamber but that this can be fixed by a good chamber polishing.

I think the Express tactical is worth considering if you like ghost ring sights. Almost bought one myself because I like the XS ghost rings.

jeffrey
June 26, 2012, 23:01
Hard to argue with an 870, but as for another top choice, I'd look for an older Ithaca 37 before a Mossberg.

Timber Wolf
June 27, 2012, 11:47
Remington makes a 21" rifle-sighted threaded barrel. I have one for both my 870 and 1100. I like the 22" barrel on my Remington Completion master too. I run it in 3-Gun and the length is not an issue. If a longer magazine tube is desired then the Remington is definitely the way to go for sheer number of options available. I have an 8 shot Mossberg 500 and wish it had choke tubes. If I was not so deep into Remingtons and therefore never shoot the Mossberg, I might have it threaded, may do it anyway.

FALRifle
June 27, 2012, 13:26
Remington makes a 21" rifle-sighted threaded barrel. I have one for both my 870 and 1100. I like the 22" barrel on my Remington Completion master too. I run it in 3-Gun and the length is not an issue. If a longer magazine tube is desired then the Remington is definitely the way to go for sheer number of options available. I have an 8 shot Mossberg 500 and wish it had choke tubes. If I was not so deep into Remingtons and therefore never shoot the Mossberg, I might have it threaded, may do it anyway.

Is that 21 inch barrel their turkey barrel. is it blued or parked?

Timber Wolf
June 28, 2012, 10:07
Is that 21 inch barrel their turkey barrel. is it blued or parked?

I think they are blued, I know the one on my 1100 is, I will try and remember to check the 870 tonight.

Deltaten
June 30, 2012, 12:06
I prefer my 870 w/20" RS smooth-bore bbl to the 500A Mossy 18" smooth bbl that I have.
The issue of the safety clicking "on" in heavy recoil. Apparent increse in recoil from identical loads. Miniscule slide release at an awkward point for the PG. Limited to factory 4+1 loading. Negatives ad infinitum. Only thinng I *do* like about it is the electroless nickel finish!
After this past weekend's trials... I believe it's gonna go on the block!

kotengu
June 30, 2012, 16:04

Any idea if you can get 8rds in the tube with your 21" barrel (and an extension, of course)? I have an 18.5" barrel and 6rd mag tube that's perfect, but most 3-gun matches start with 8 in the tube and I'm handicapped.

Some would argue I'm handicapped regardless, but I'd still like more ammo...

riffraff2
July 02, 2012, 10:01
You guys are wasting your time with those pumps.

The Benelli M4 is the way to go. Screw the pumps. A reliable simi auto is available. It ain't cheap but nothing of quality ever is.

ronpaulFAL
July 04, 2012, 21:56
Well, the expert has spoken.

Anyway... since the OP specified he wanted a pump I will reiterate that you can't go wrong with either the 870 or 500 series. If you're a lefty, you might think about the Mossy with its tang safety; if you are thinking about a pistol grip stock, I'd tip my hat to the 870 since the safety is easier to actuate with a pistol grip.

Gazz
July 06, 2012, 09:19
870 before the Mossberg. Nothing falls out of a Remington when you drop the trigger group for a proper cleaning like it does on the Mossberg. Look for an older 870 which has less plastic parts.

GOVT1911
July 07, 2012, 23:16
I guess I'm the odd one out here. I prefer my Mossy 590a1. I did get a pretty good deal on it a few years ago when I got it, but I prefer the tang mounted safety because I prefer a "standard" buttstock on my shotguns over a pistol grip.

The 870 does have much more aftermarket support, but the only thing I needed/wanted to change out on my 590 was to add a surefire forend light. I did have to dremel a little bit off of the bayonet mount to get it to lock with the light, but not much. I really like the factory ghostring sights, too.

FALRifle
July 14, 2012, 18:08
Well I ended up picking up a 590a1 today instead. I was hesitant to get an express model 870 because of things I have heard about keeping the thing well oiled on the outside or it may rust. I don't want to have to maintain a utility shotgun that much. Anyways, to any 590a1 owners out there I picked up shotgun and haven't had time to clean it from the store yet. I noticed when looking in the chamber there is a crap ton of brown stuff in there. Is this just packing grease? I tried rubbing it real quick with my finger to see if it would come off but it wouldn't. I will be cleaning it tomorrow. The salesman at the store said it was packing grease. But then again I have never heard a lick of truth from anyone behind the counter selling guns. Just want to make sure it wasn't rust or something. All of the 590a1 I looked at had it. How hard is it to clean off

gates
July 16, 2012, 19:16
Riff is right - the Benelli guns are the shit and the 590 kicks like a mule - at least mine does - good health with your new shotty.

chet
July 30, 2012, 15:05
I am looking at buying a pump shotgun. I used to have an 870 with an 18 inch barrel that was threaded for chokes. It was perfect becuase it was compact enough but I could still get some serious distance out of it becuase I could swap chokes.

FYI- chokes don't effect the range. They only effect pattern. Sorry, you asked for opinions and I gave you a fact instead. I'm ornery like that.

FALRifle
July 30, 2012, 19:56
Yeah I know but the tighter the constriction on my pattern the greater the effective distance I can get.

ronpaulFAL
July 31, 2012, 03:49
In the era of flight control wads and the like, chokes for tactical use are less important. My 870 police with IC gets 30 yards with std 00 buck, and 45-50 usin federal flight control shells. I just keep some around for intermediate distance engagements; my go to remains 00 buck for HD with slugs on the gun. Keeping some of that ammo around is far less expensive than a vangcomp or other modifications.

ronpaulFAL
July 31, 2012, 03:58
Well I ended up picking up a 590a1 today instead. I was hesitant to get an express model 870 because of things I have heard about keeping the thing well oiled on the outside or it may rust. I don't want to have to maintain a utility shotgun that much. Anyways, to any 590a1 owners out there I picked up shotgun and haven't had time to clean it from the store yet. I noticed when looking in the chamber there is a crap ton of brown stuff in there. Is this just packing grease? I tried rubbing it real quick with my finger to see if it would come off but it wouldn't. I will be cleaning it tomorrow. The salesman at the store said it was packing grease. But then again I have never heard a lick of truth from anyone behind the counter selling guns. Just want to make sure it wasn't rust or something. All of the 590a1 I looked at had it. How hard is it to clean off

Good call. The 870 Police may be the best of the widely produced pumps but for the money that 590a1 should be better than an Express HD. My mom has the latter and it is definitely not my 870P Max!

btw the semis are great but with practice a pump is just as effective for our uses.

chet
July 31, 2012, 10:43
Yeah I know but the tighter the constriction on my pattern the greater the effective distance I can get.

Depends on what the purpose of the gun is. Birds and rabbits? Deer (when required by law)? True.

Home defense? False.

For defensive guns, tightening the pattern to make it workable at 50 yards removes any advantage it might have had at indoor distances over a rifle, especially a mag fed semi auto. And, at 50 yards, just about any centerfire semi rifle is still faster, more accurate, and has better terminal ballistics anyway.

Shotguns work better than rifles in very, very narrow circumstances for defensive purposes: at night, condition white, indoors, against an unknown number of attackers. Even then, if you are well trained on a rifle, chances are you would be better off with it.

A short(er) shotgun with an open choke may give you a better chance to maneuver and land at least one pellet hit under less than optimum conditions against an attacker who has access to plenty of cover and concealment. Every pellet is one more opportunity to re-take the initiative and gain superiority over your attackers. Remove any of those conditions and you would be better off with a rifle.

As mentioned, if you just want a tight pattern at max effective range for buck, try a Federal Tru Flite load - like PFC154. Great for hunters required to use buckshot on deer. Great for patrol officers stuck with a shotgun as their long gun. But, inside your house that load will pattern smaller than a man's fist which begs the question: Why use a low capacity, high flash, smooth bore musket that is slow to reload when a high capacity, low flash, mag fed, semi rifle is available?

For home defense SG, I recommend using the mostest, biggest buck pellets for which you can handle the recoil and get a spread that will increase the likelihood of a hit at room distances. For me, that is Rem SP12HB -15 pellet 00 Buck.A Knoxx stock allows me to handle the recoil easy and I get 66% more potential winners per trigger pull than 9 pellet with enough spread to make it worthwhile.

FALRifle
July 31, 2012, 16:42
Thanks for the post. it is a defensive shotgun. I will not exceed shots over 25 yards with it and it patterns well out to that distance. I was just curious about chokes on an 18 inch barrel just in case I ever wanted to take it out shooting at more of a distance for S%@*s and giggles. I guess I can by slugs and go that route if I want some distance out of it. I have shot an 18 barrel Remington with slugs out to 50 yards and it was fairly accurate.

Heat
August 17, 2012, 12:25
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-tactical.aspx

http://i49.tinypic.com/wwcboo.jpg

I have this and am pleased with it.

riffraff2
August 17, 2012, 18:27
If you just have to have a pump I recomend the Mossberg. Why? If you want the whole family to be able to use it and your wifey and maybe your daughters ain't all that into guns and mechanical stuff the Mossberg safety is superior in that all you have to drill into their head is FORWARD IS FIRE, FORWARD IS FIRE, FORWARD IS FIRE.