View Full Version : Rapid Disassembly

June 17, 2012, 17:47
Can someone address the issue raised by some of the Glock .45 exploding? I hear rumors of this but am not finding any real info.. like, did Glock recall these, or is the alleged problem fixed by an aftermarket NON-polygon barrel? The local PD here issued the .45 Glock maybe 20 years ago and got rid of it (twas said) over the issue of possible detonations. The other side of that MAY have been that lead-handloads couldnt be used for cheap range-time.. Was the problem sovled by the time 3rd generation came around?
Ive done a lot of research since I wrote the above.. read a lot of ads and other glock-oriented stuff. the ka-booms were due to unsupported case heads. I checked mine with a standard hardball and it slips in right to the extractor ring. It appears that many claim to reload, some using lead, others using plated bullets.

**** Ive looked at the number of replacement springs and recoil rods.. standard weight is 17lbs, might want to lift that to 20lbs.The replacement guide rods are stainless instead of the cheesy looking plastic. There are several makes and types of barrels which use standard rifling and are a bit heftier in the chamber area..
Any other useful suggestions for aftermarketing parts?*****

June 19, 2012, 22:14
The only way I can address it is to tell you I have a model 30 with about 5,000 rds through it, and it's never had a problem. Anything other than that would just be spreading internet rumors.

I'm happy enough with the Glock in .45 ACP that I've been threatening to buy a model 21 just to play with a full-size pistol more. My only reason for not doing so is then I would have one more mouth to feed...

June 20, 2012, 03:03
Kotengu, I dunno about "spreading internet rumors"... there is a LOT on the Glocks, including documented kabooms of the .45s. I am aware that Glock says "only store-bought, jacketed" ammo should be used and one explanation is that lead builds up in the polygon bores and pressures rise, eventually causing the big bang... Tho Im not sure what that would have to do with jacketed reloads. The local PD got rid of their Glocks 15-20 years ago over the possiblity of problems, and the warranty voided when they used their own in-house reloads.. in other words.. money!
Anyhow I have a Glock 21, like it and would like to reload for it, but am seriously considering trading in off on an XD or XDm, as Ive not heard of any problems with them and guys that have them love em.... Previously I have been a 1911 and BHP guy, but Im likin these tupperware guns too...only took me 20-25 years to get with the program.

June 20, 2012, 11:46
The only kabooms i know of were all ammo related. Such as over pressured by double powder drops or using commercial reloaded ammo that had worn out brass. I know alot of people that reload for their glocks for idpa comp. and even use lead bullets, though the load just enough powder to function reliable
In my opinion use new commercial ammo and you should never have a problem. If you do want to reload for a glock then know what you are doing and inspect your brass well.

Right Side Up
June 20, 2012, 15:27
I you look at the breech end of a .45 caliber Glock barrel you can see where it is thin where the feed ramp is in two corners. I used to have that pic, I'll see if I can find it.

June 29, 2012, 13:51
I don't worry about my Glocks "blowing up" with my reloads or any factory ammo! I run stainless steel barrels on all of our Glocks and do shoot lead bullets a bunch also. The Bar-Sto barrel produces 2 inches or better size shot groups at 20 yards of 60 ft. My wifes Glocks are also staineless steel and much more accurate at 15 yards than the standard Glock factory barrel. He pistol also has night sights and a 3-lb trigger pull. They are simply wonderful pistols for CCW!

June 29, 2012, 13:59
Noooooooo!!!... not the Glock!!!

Bug Tussell
June 29, 2012, 19:21
Get an FNP45 and be happy.

June 30, 2012, 11:14
i use reloads w plated bullets & factory ammo in my g27, no problems. my reloads are in the middle of the powder loads. my next glock is likely a .45 or 10mm

June 30, 2012, 11:59
Any firearm that can't handle "reloads" is a crappy firearm. And like them or not, Glocks aren't crap. I shoot factory and reloads, and never keep track of which is which.

Ball ammo - no lead in my case.

July 01, 2012, 03:25
Get an FNP45 and be happy.

I had one and it was a jambOmatic, was so disgusted with it I traded it for a Glock 35 and never looked back :wink:

Bug Tussell
July 01, 2012, 07:21
I had one and it was a jambOmatic, was so disgusted with it I traded it for a Glock 35 and never looked back :wink:

Both of mine work fine. Don't ask me how I wound up with two... anyways, the FNP needs a manly grip and doesn't like limp wristers or flinchers :tongue:
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I went with the FNP because of the hi cap and the broach rifling and the FN reputation. I wanted broach rifling for shooting cast reloads which is pretty much all I feed them. I have some Glocks but don't shoot reloads in them.

July 02, 2012, 21:47
Kotengu, I dunno about "spreading internet rumors"... there is a LOT on the Glocks, including documented kabooms of the .45s.

Not saying it doesn't happen - just that the only personal experience I have is that they run perfectly. If I comment on something I don't have personal experience with I'm just repeating what I've read/heard somewhere else. That is the definition of a rumor.

Out of that 5,000 rds through mine, by the way, about 4,900 are reloads. Never lead, always plated or jacketd - but reloads the same.