PDA

View Full Version : secondary market for CMP m-1s

gates
February 13, 2002, 19:59
i know this can be a contentious issue with collectors but i for one am happy there are folks willing to sell thier cmp garands-i just bot a 98% correct 1944 spring. yesterday for $700 and am looking for an all correct winnie to finish my garand collection. the 1-200 dollar premium imo is worth it to get a known rifle.

aj

law4fun
February 14, 2002, 10:46
I also do not mind paying a premium for a really nice CMP (or non CMP ;) ) Garand that I have the opportunity to "hand pick", if you will.

[ February 14, 2002: Message edited by: law4fun ]

EMDII
February 14, 2002, 10:51
I have a non-CMP HRA 1954, w/ original barrel. Has Winchester trigger group :( but otherwise ALL correct!

law4fun
February 14, 2002, 11:20
Sounds like a dandy! A '54 HRA is definitly a keeper. You should be able to pick up a trigger group for it. The price may sting. The only problem up here in our neck of the woods is the total lack of ammo availability....

BUFF
February 14, 2002, 12:37
Cole's usually has 1950's era USGI M-2 ball, usually in Garand clips, for a decent if-not-giveaway price. It is good stuff, mine was LC, and the brass is reloadable. Cole's service is usually first rate, as well.

Also, CMP has .30-06 ammo, but you have to be a member.

[ February 14, 2002: Message edited by: BUFF ]

Asmodeous
February 14, 2002, 12:46
BUFF wrote:

Also, CMP has .30-06 ammo, but you have to be a member.

Actually, you just need to be a member of any CMP-affiliated group, such as your state rifle/pistol association, or any local group that holds CMP matches. I believe membership in the Garand Collector's Association also qualifies.

David<

19 Delta
February 15, 2002, 00:33
I think the point in buying a non cmp garand is seeing what you are getting before you buy. Its a definite crap shoot with the CMP from what I understand. I am still debating on wether or not to buy one from the CMP, or just go for one Ive seen. Id hate to get a lemon.

I do want a grand though, and have for quite some time.

jimmieZ
February 15, 2002, 07:34
The only "crap shoot" part of buying a CMP Garand is the stock. Every one of them I've bought (4 in the last couple of years) has had excellent metal, tight barrels and varying wood quality. I got 2 Springfields, a Winchester and an IHC version. With complete replacement walnut furniture going for around $80.00 (Boyds), you can't go wrong. Buy them before it's too late.

Jim Z

ByronF
February 15, 2002, 07:45
The crap shoot is that you pay $500, and you get a rifle easily worth from $600-$800. There is no risk to a CMP Garand purchase. The worst CMP rifle I've seen had about 80% finish and the bore appeared to have been parked. The rifling was very strong. About ten clips later the bore was starting to shine up nicely. Dad loves that rifle.

Byron

Ken Carter
February 15, 2002, 16:44
I LOVE my DCM and CMP Garands that I have
aquired over the years. They still have
some nice ones. Best Battle rifle every
made.

Blood of Tyrants
February 15, 2002, 17:00
There is no such thing as a "lemon" CMP Garand.

If it doesn't operate correctly, they will fix it.

If you don't like the one you get, you can easily resell it for what you paid for it. Even a mixmaster. There are MANY people who would be tickled to death to pick up a genuine USGI M1 Garand for ONLY $520.

Shoot, half the fun (maybe even more) of getting one from the CMP is anticipating what you are going to get and wondering how many soldier's/Marine's hands it had been through and what battles it might have been in. :)

Blackmore
February 16, 2002, 19:31
CMP also gets M1s into private hands where they are in less danger of being de-milled by a future anti-gun administration. Buy them while you can!

Bullet
February 16, 2002, 23:10
I'm waiting on CMP Garand. The Sales lady called because I forgot to include my DD214 which was faxed that day. Was told it would ship in three weeks. I'm hoping I get a nice rifle the first time out. I haven't even got this one and I'm thinking about another.

dino1
February 17, 2002, 03:17
If you wan't a crapshoot try a century!

19 Delta
February 17, 2002, 21:03
What all is involved in buying one? I will be shooting my first Hipower match soon. How long do they take to arrive?