PDA

View Full Version : Help identify this Enfield...

skfullgun
March 05, 2002, 22:40
I'm not an enfield collector, but I picked a nice looking one up several years back from an older gentleman walking around the gunshow.

I can't find an importer marking on it anywhere, so I'm assuming it was once a bring-back.

The wrist-strap reads, "MA Lithgow, S.M.L.E, III*, 1942.

There are six stars (at least that's what they look like) on the right side of the receiver just in front of the bolt handle. There is an "M" on the thingy you flip-up to remove the bolt. The bottom of the trigger-guard is marked "BA", and so it the bottom of the metal that incorporates the front-site. Under the bolt-handle, and on top of the wrist-strap, are both marked *444. The serial #16XXX. On the right side of the stock, there appear to be #'s and letters stamped and inked into the side. These read "M.A. Lithgow, S.M.L.E., III*, IIV, 1943" Under the wrist of the stock, barely visibe in the wood, is stamped "AUSTRALIA".

The bore is frosty, but she shoots O.K. Please let me know what I have...

Dean P
March 06, 2002, 03:01
I can offer some help. What you have is a Mark III made in Lithgow. The MA mark is a code for the Lithgow factory, merely a compression of made in Australia. The BA is code for the subcontractor, Bathurst. In early production, a seven pointed star was an inspector's mark. By WWII MA was more common. The M on there is designated for medium bracket. From 1941-45, Mark III had no cut off provision, a good rifle, noted for it's acuracy. From 44 on, Lithgow made snipers from the actions. As far as a lack of import marks, that's not unusual, it could have been brought in pre 68. They brought in a boat load of them before 68. The 444, if it's a matching gun, should be the last three digits of your serial number.

[ March 06, 2002: Message edited by: Dean P ]

skfullgun
March 06, 2002, 13:00
Thanks Dean, for the info.

The gun is in great shape - one of the best overall Enfields I have seen in a while. Still, like I said, the bore is dark and a little pitted toward the end, but rifling is still strong and she shoots good.

I guess I didn't do too bad. I think I paid $80 for it a few years back.

EMDII
March 07, 2002, 08:38
The Lithgow No.1 and Savage No.4 rifles were often handsome as their tooling was less-worn than that of the rest of the Empire.

You have a VERY nice Aussie, a real compliment to an Aussie LAR (FAL) (it's true succesor), as the Australians built NO No.4 rifles.

7idl
March 07, 2002, 20:32
Pictures, we need pictures! :)

all this talk of these 'old timer' rifles.. need pictures to do them justice!

Dean P
March 07, 2002, 20:39
A little known fact. Lithgow Arsenal was equiped with American machine tools, when it was built.

skfullgun
March 08, 2002, 00:18
I'll try to post some pics. I have a digital camera. Do I have to find a host site for the pics or can I somehow attach them as a jpeg file?

EMDII
March 08, 2002, 08:01
You need a host for your pictures. Attaching will NOT work.

See the current thread in Tech Support about hosting pics. There is also a thread in the FAQ Forum on posting pics.

skfullgun
November 03, 2005, 20:03
I'm reviving this thread and will try to post some pictures. I am thinking of selling/trading this rifle and need some input on what value to attach.

willie91
November 03, 2005, 20:25
As an idea I have 2 Lithgow's. One I paid $125 and the other one I paid $150 with an Aussie bayonet

skfullgun
November 03, 2005, 20:50
Wow. I think I'll just keep it at those prices. I thought it might be trading fodder but it's too pretty to trade for anything that inexpensive.

bykerhd
November 03, 2005, 22:52
If it is matching and the condition is still about the same you may do a bit better than those prices. I'm not sure you will get much over $200, but Gunbroker might be a better place to get an idea what to ask. Also, a lot of C & R rifles, which yours is I believe, get listed and sold over at Gunboards.com on the Trader section. You can ask the value on their Lee-Enfield Forum. Not as much traffic as here, but lots of very Enfield knowledgable people. Not that there aren't some here too. But, a lot of the same people haunt several Forums anyway.

skfullgun
November 06, 2005, 23:13
Thanks for all the info. I think I'll just put her back in the safe and pull her out to give her a dose of appreciation from time-to-time.